Mike Mayock on Ryan Tannehill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Mayock on Ryan Tannehill

He was on WQAM the Joe Rose show this morning. When he was asked about his assessment of Tannehill he said that more than half the teams in the league would rather have Tannehill than who they have. Says Tannehill is not the problem that the OLine is. No protection and no running game. When asked about drafting a a QB he said there is not a QB in the draft better than Tannehill especially since they are unproven. Thinks the team has much greater needs.

So take it for what it is worth. Mayock is one of the guys I happen to respect and agree with which is why I posted this.

Now cue Dolphins Freak rant in 1...2...3...

(Just joking DF. More of your points is turning out to be right than wrong as the season goes on)

I respect the hell outta Mayock's opinion as well but he's not really telling us anything that we don't know; more than half the teams out there would rather have RT than who they currently have, that means pretty much half the teams wouldn't which equals middle-of-the-pack, mediocre, pedestrian, average..Pretty much what we've all already determined by witnessing it on a weekly basis...

Comment

I completely AGREE with Mayock. Does that make me an EXPERT now? HAHA

Comment

Hey, I can't knock what Mayock is stating. He has forgotten more football knowledge then I will ever know. I have always had a great deal of respect for Mayock and have stated that I have more respect for him then any other football mind on television. I happen to disagree with him on this topic though, which doesn't happen often when it comes to Mayock, normally we see eye to eye. There is only two ways to find out if Mayock is correct; the Dolphins have to spend 2-3 years and build an offensive line around Tannehill to see if that and the run game is the problem, or they can draft a quarterback and see what he can do behind the guys that they have along with the o-linemen they pickup. I prefer option #2 where the Dolphins draft a quarterback because TanneHenne is nothing more then a backup quarterback/clipboard holder. He can START for many teams around the league but NONE of them will win a playoff game with Tannehill behind center. The offensive line is a problem, but I already knew that and that is why I was one of the few fans who wanted that to be the Dolphins number one priority in free agency and the draft. The Dolphins inept front office saw things differently and decided that Tannehill was fine and so was his offensive line. It's almost like the Dolphins franchise is being setup for failure.

You asked for a rant and you got one. Don't worry, I won't be wasting my time with rants if this team doesn't go after a quarterback next year. If they decide to roll with Tannehill with the new head coach and his staff I will then know that this team is doomed for another 3-5 years and will stop following the team until Tannehill washes out, just like I did back when fans and the coaching staff thought Fiedler was their franchise quarterback.

Comment

Originally posted by Driven_Phinsane! View Post
          I respect the hell outta Mayock's opinion as well but he's not really telling us anything that we don't know; more than half the teams out there would rather have RT than who they currently have, that means pretty much half the teams wouldn't which equals middle-of-the-pack, mediocre, pedestrian, average..Pretty much what we've all already determined by witnessing it on a weekly basis...

And you know what? That's not going to change. The spread offense has killed the QB. In HS and college coaches can use the spread an win with lessor talent. QB's never learn how to be a true QB, it's one read and run. Until someone figures out a way to shut down the spread it wont change...

Comment

Mayock is right, We all know about the Oline and the running game for the last 3 season so that's a no brainer.. What he failed to mention is the fact that RT is inept to hit his target passed the 20 yds line.. The only thing this means is RT will never be able to orchestrate a 4th Qtr come back with a minute and some change with his arm to win the ball game.... He needs a top notch run game, Oline and a OC that can call smart plays...

Comment

To me it was Philbins stubborn style. He probably thought that he was such a Oline expert that he could make average joes starters, thus the sticking with Dallas Thomas and wanting a ZBS guard like Douglas.
              The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

Originally posted by HndRkyaBong34 View Post
                Mayock is right, We all know about the Oline and the running game for the last 3 season so that's a no brainer.. What he failed to mention is the fact that RT is inept to hit his target passed the 20 yds line.. The only thing this means is RT will never be able to orchestrate a 4th Qtr come back with a minute and some change with his arm to win the ball game.... He needs a top notch run game, Oline and a OC that can call smart plays...
                He failed to mention a lot of things and you touched on one of them. I am not going to waste my time and type the laundry list of reasons why he will never be a franchise quarterback no matter how great the offensive line is. I do understand that Mayock has a job to do and with that job it would be pretty difficult for him to be as harsh as we are on a football forum. I can't imagine Mayock going on air and saying anything close to what we are saying even if he is thinking the exact same thing.

Comment

I think when the rest of the team gets shored up then we can fairly measure Tannehill. We do know he isn't Brady or Manning where he can ride in like the cavalry and save a game. I do think with a good defense and offensive line he can be a top 10 QB and throw for 250 to 300 yards and 2 TDs a game. If we add to that 200 plus rushing yards a game with 2 TDs, and a top 10 defense then we have a very good team that can contend. But make no mistake about it the defense and O Line are the reason we are THIS bad.

Comment

• DolphinsFreak
                    DolphinsFreak commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think the fans who don't care for Tannehill are being overly judged on this forum. If you think Tannehill isn't a franchise quarterback then you must hate him, you must think he is responsible for ALL the teams woes, etc. That's ridiculous!

The defense sucks! The special teams are not good. But, nobody expects Tannehill to be as good as Brady, Rodgers or Brees. Fans that don't like him would love it if he could play as good as Carr or Bortles. He can't. Why? He sucks. Sorry if that bothers you but it's my opinion of the player, not the man. I don't think he will ever take ANY TEAM to the playoffs. He must have an offensive playbook specially designed for ALL his flaws so that he can throw 99.9% of his passes under 15 yards. That is a next to impossible task to ask of any OC, not that I am making excuses for Lazor because his name should be Vanilla. If Tannehill had a great defense and a really good o-lne he would play better, but the good teams would know how to game plan against his shortcomings, like only being able to make accurate throws 13 yards or shorter. He is not a franchise quarterback. It's time for this organization to find a new head coach, coaching staff and new quarterback to groom to be the franchise quarterback while the team is STUCK with TanneHenne.

so 15 teams would rather have Tannyhill, which would put them at best the 17th best team. Which is where we have been. Middle of the pack.
                  Time to at least draft a QB....every year. Until we find one.

Comment

tannehill has no pocket presence or down field vision. take the buffalo game,if you see some of the passes tannehill completed because he hammered it to landry or whoever, if you look else where there where other receives open who it would have been better to get the ball to those guys ,but tannehill didn't see them because he has no down field vision or anticipation. he looks for certain players and if his certain player is open by just a crack he'll pound it in instead of looking for someone who is more open.

pocket presence,look at tyrod taylor,he feels the pressure and gets out of dodge! tannehill doesn't feel the pressure until someone is bearing down on him then he just crumbles!

if tannehill has a stellar team infront of him he will be good but never great,because he can never carry a team to victory,he needs other players to be good and he can compliment those players be he can't be elite on his own!

Comment

So if Mayock is right, trade RT this offseason. If half the teams want him we could get a 1 for him do the deal NOW. Dude does not have it. Sell high. We will have 2 ones. We already know he sucks, move on!!!! BTW I don't mind not having Mayock on the ND games Everyones a 1st round pick LMAO>>>>>>>>>>>

Comment

• Dolfan1
                        Dolfan1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        But Mayock also said no one in the draft is as good as RT so who are you going to replace him with?

Originally posted by hawkfinfan View Post
                      So if Mayock is right, trade RT this offseason. If half the teams want him we could get a 1 for him do the deal NOW. Dude does not have it. Sell high. We will have 2 ones. We already know he sucks, move on!!!! BTW I don't mind not having Mayock on the ND games Everyones a 1st round pick LMAO>>>>>>>>>>>
                      This is one of the best posts I've read all week, possibly all month!!

Yeah, if half the teams in the NFL really want Ryan Tannehill, let them have him. His contract is too much for the Dolphins to dump him but if they trade him it wouldn't be too bad. Yes, they would carry a lot of dead money but in the long run it would be well worth it. They could have TWO first round draft picks and TWO players who are under protection of the 1st round contract. The Dolphins could make a trade with one of those teams that are among the HALF that Mayock speaks of, which would probably be the Browns, so they could use their new pick they got from the Browns to draft a QB like Lynch. Then, with their own pick they could draft Taylor Decker OT from Ohio State. Many problems solved with the ONE trade of Tannehill.

Comment

Except you the have to decide on what to do at QB. Take a chance on an unproven rookie? Probably more busts at the QB position than any other drafted position. You guys are big on killing Tannehill but who is better that this team can get? Trust me you are better off with a top 15 QB. Fix the line and run the ball and Ryan will be great.

Comment

I would prefer to roll the dice on an unproven rookie then roll the dice on wasting another year with a proven piece of crap. Let's face facts, Tannehill just isn't a franchise quarterback and no matter how many excuses people come up with won't change the fact that he has absolutely no pocket awareness, he doesn't survey the field on a regular basis, beyond 14 yards he can't hit the broad side of a barn with any bit of consistency and the list keeps growing. He stinks! He is not a leader. He friggin' smiles when he makes HUGE mistakes. After his second safety in two games he smiles after it happens. This loser should be holding a clipboard on another team, not leading the Dolphins.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X