Rooney Rule : interim coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooney Rule : interim coaches

I'm finding conflicting answers to the question about whether we could hire Campbell without interviewing anybody else first.
    Any of the experts here have an answer?

(Not whether we SHOULD, just whether we COULD)

Unless if an assistant has a clause stating that they have a guarrenteed climb if the HC is no longer at the Helm is what I read. Example was Mike Martz for the Rams. Also if the Assistant that steps into the Interim role is already a minority then no need to interview more.
    Last edited by AquaXI; 10-28-2015, 01:09 AM.
    The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

• Phinatic514
      Phinatic514 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fu** the Rooney rule. Hire Campbell now, and unless the penalty is forking over an entire draft and 10- million, I see no problem.

The Racist Rule

A few years back there were two interim head coaches, Leslie Fraiser and Jason Garrett. Both the Vikings and the Cowboys wanted to promote their interim head coaches to real Head Coaches of their football teams. However, only ONE team was able to do that, and that was the Vikings. Why? It was because of the color of Fraiser's skin, not his ability to coach a football team. Since Fraiser was a "minority" he was able to become a Head Coach bu Jason Garrett had to wait to get promoted because the Cowboys needed to MAKE A FOOL out of some minority by pretending they had a shot at the job. They interviewed their wide receivers coach for the head coaching job, not because he was qualified, because the Rooney Rule forced the team to humiliate a minority coach by having this fake interview that I'm sure he knew was just part of fulfilling the obligation of this ridiculous RACIST rule. So, YES, the Dolphins will have to do the same, interview some "minority" janitor BEFORE they hire Campbell, IF that is the route they were to take.

Comment

I realize that I'm a minority of the minority, but I have always dislike the Rooney rule, because just like any other "affirmative action" plan, it is racist by it's very nature, AND it denigrates the successes of those of us who work hard to get where we are!

I have never needed or desired any special consideration because of my own skin color. My children have been raised the same way. In fact my son refused to take any "assistance" from the United Negro College Fund, preferring to work hard, and pay for what costs his academic scholarships didn't cover!
      We didn't want him to even take student loans from the government affiliated lenders, but he wanted to pay for his own education, so WE were his "lender"! (and he pays us back every month!)

Too many people seem to think that they are owed something in this world!

Okay, I'm climbing off my soapbox, but the Rooney Rule is absurd! (Thank goodness they didn't try to require a quota of minority hires...

Comment

The Rooney Rule is such a freakin' joke!!..I can't stand the way the league always tries to stick their nose into every aspect of how owners try to run their billion dollar businesses! It reminds me of a flippin' condo association president who has a much higher opinion of himself than anyone else does, trying to tell you what kind of potted plant you can have on your front porch!

Comment

I do not like the rule but, have to consider the reason it was placed into effect. There are only 32 owners in the entire country deciding on who is HC material. We would like to think that racism would not enter into their decision but, they are mostly very old men from a different time who may or may not feel the same as today's society. they all have 2 tons of money and are used to doing whatever they please.

At worst the rule brings to light some black coaches, who would not have gotten the attention otherwise. While the process is somewhat embarrassing, it does serve a purpose. JMO

Comment

The concept that forcing an owner to "interview" candidates based on their race, will somehow convince an owner with racist values to suddenly say
            "Oh GOLLY GEE,
            I should hire this negro because it will make me seem like less of a racist" amuses me.

The policy itself sickens me...

But as I said in the OP, my question was whether we COULD hire Campbell without going through the charade of interviewing others,
            if we have no intention of hiring them...

Comment

Here is your answer...He CANNOT be hired as the FT coach without satisfying the Rooney rule.
              ROONEY RULE DOESN'T APPLY TO INTERIM HIRES

Posted by Mike Florio on September 30, 2008, 6:29 PM EDT
              Several readers have asked us how the Rams were able to hire coach Jim Haslett and the Raiders were able to hire coach Tom Cable without interviewing one or more minority candidates.
              Per NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, the Rooney Rule doesn’t apply to interim hires.
              Aiello said that the requirement to interview at least one minority candidate will apply when the Rams and the Raiders are filling the job for 2009 and beyond.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...interim-hires/

Comment

Originally posted by Wulf View Post
                The concept that forcing an owner to "interview" candidates based on their race, will somehow convince an owner with racist values to suddenly say
                "Oh GOLLY GEE,
                I should hire this negro because it will make me seem like less of a racist" amuses me.

The policy itself sickens me...

But as I said in the OP, my question was whether we COULD hire Campbell without going through the charade of interviewing others,
                if we have no intention of hiring them...
                I get it but, IMO it's not the hiring but, the exposure which likely would have never come.

Comment

There will always be racism but I think it's safe to say that the NFL is progressive enough to have owners, regardless of age, that will hire the best coach possible no matter what the color of their skin happens to be. Each NFL team is a business and it would be foolish to think that there are owners out there that would purposely avoid hiring a minority because they are a minority. NFL owners buy teams that are full of minorities. I think it would be extremely rare to have a racist owner of an NFL team who would avoid hiring minorities because they put their racist views ahead of the mighty dollar. I'm sure every NFL owner watched what happened to the racist owner of that NBA team.

With that said, I find it "interesting" that it seems that "minority" head coaches gravitate towards "minority" quarterbacks. I wonder why that is? As of right now it is pretty balanced but I remember back on the Phinatics forum when this subject got brought up there were something like 85% of minority coaches had African American quarterbacks, even though there were few black QB's in the league.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X