#6 RB Kenyan Drake
    #5 OLB/DE Charles Harris
    #4 DB Minkah Fitzpatrick
    #3 LT Laremy Tunsil
    #2 CB Xavien Howard
    #1 QB Josh Rosen

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/ga...iami-dolphins/

Do you agree with their list ?

How would you rank the top 20 most important Phins in 2019?

​​​​​​​

I've read that Jordan Mills might not even make the cut as he's been terrible in practice; so bad he was replaced by Jesse Davis..If this reject is being counted upon as one of our 20 most important players, we might be worse off than we thought...

Comment

If Albert Wilson isn't healthy..and playing a PROMINENT role in the offense, the Fins won't win 5 games. I'd have him in the top 10./ Remember, he was the Fins most effective...and dangerous player till he was injured. I also think Kiko will be a better all around player in the new defense. I have him around 12-13, as McCain will be a party time player. The guys who are ON the filed the most HAVE to be considered more valuable overall.

Comment

• Wulf
        Wulf commented
        Editing a comment
        If ONE player stops this team from winning 5 games, we have worse problems than I thought...

• IMAWriter
        IMAWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        Not stops...he needs to be the A Wilson of the first 6 games last season to propel the offense, and open the run game.

I'll go with your question as to "Most Important" instead of top players. I only have 10.

1 Rosen- Sooo many things revolve around his success or failure for the time table to rebuild, the MOST important draft next year, to getting a pick for Fitz before the trade deadline. He should count as 2-3 spots.

2 Harris- Has not been bad but, disappointing for a #1 pick. We have no Edge players. Having one would be a good start.

3 Tunsil- Has shown Pro Bowl potential but, not there yet. He is looking at a projected $18M a year contract, and I have to question if he is worth it for THIS team. IF we cannot work out a reasonable deal, I would trade for a #1 next year.

4 Dieter- We have been cursed at OG. I think he can break it.

5/6/7 Drake, Ballage & Walton- Drake is a play maker but, can't block worth a damn, and Ballage has great talent but, is actually worse in blocking. That does not work for Pat's coaches. Walton had a wasted year in Cinci, has legal issues but, could be our best RB. There are no assurances any of the three will be here next year.

8 Gesicki- Great potential, no block but, beefed up in off season. Could light it up or, struggle for snaps.

9 Parker- When he is on the field, he shows Pro Bowl talent. Last Chance to stay on the field.

10 Wilkins- Looks like a sure thing, little chance of bust.

Comment

• IMAWriter
        IMAWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree on pretty much all...but...WHEN have the Dolphins EVER received fair value for a player they move. I can't see Tunsil generating a 1st round pick unless he plays at Pro Bowl level..in that case, you wouldn't move him.If he's good, even very good, but not Joe Thomas, etc good, he'll get a 2nd...or wait for free agency, in which case some team will grossly over-pay for his services...due to the importance of the position. Lets hope for greatness this season. Having a REAL LG (like Sitton was) next to him, especially after Dieter has some games under his belt will help Tunsil focus on his own gig.

• PhinPhan68
        PhinPhan68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great post

• IMAWriter
        IMAWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Really just common sense, with a little added "Dolphins don't get Patsie deals."

Somebody compiled this list and fed it out to the public? Is this from a national media outlet or a Dolphins-centric source? Either way I'm not sure how much I like it.
      First let me start with who shouldn't even be on the list: Jayrone Elliott, Bobby McCain, Jordan Mills, Mike Gesicki, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Eric Rowe, Devante Parker and Charles Harris. That's 8 out of 20. Who is Jayrone Elliott and what has he done to be expected to accomplish anything? Bobby McCain is okay but our defense can't be so confident if he is more than a backup utility CB. Mills has struggled to do his job with any consistency. Gesicki has gotten bigger and stronger but he hasn't shown any ability to block or get open from the traditional TE set. Ryan Fitzpatrick is meaningless. He is one and done, if that. Eric Rowe should be ahead of our other Corners based on experience in this defense but he is no more talented than the other four guys challenging for that spot and his injury history makes it more of a head scratcher. I'd put Jalen Davis in there as the most important #2 Corner. DeVante Parker- See Eric Rowe. And Preston Williams can soon make Parker irrelevant. Charles Harris- See Eric Rowe and Jayrone Elliott.
      I mean, it would be fantastic to see these guys all break out but to put them on the most important list, I'm not sure. I hope they do all have career years.
      IMO here's a more realistic 20: not in any particular order:
      1)Laremy Tunsil- He is the best OT in football and needs to prove it.
      2)Daniel Kilgore- He is a solid veteran Center that can pull this O line together and help it form into a cohesive unit. Leader.
      3)Michael Deiter- We must finally nail an OG draft pick that can step in, start and dominate at his position.
      4)Josh Rosen- If Rosen can step in and get this offense sailing, our rebuild moves waaay ahead of schedule.
      5)Kenny Stills- Stills is by far our best WR. He runs the best routes, he gets open everywhere and he can blow the top off the defense. He's the one that can get us easy scores and we're going to need them. All the other guys are in a battle.
      6) X- has to be X.
      7) Minkah- can still get even better.
      8) Reshad- can still change games.
      9) McDonald- can prove that he can be a starter (in this defense) when Reshad has gone.
      10) Big Mac- Needs to prove he is the gravitational force of this D from his MLB spot. The new Rae.
      11) Jerome Baker- has bulked up. Must continue to build on very good NFL start.
      12) Christian Wilkins- Need a 1st round player to play like a legit 1st round pick. Must clearly be our best D lineman.
      13) Davon Godchaux- Will be the anchor in our 3-4 sets. Must hold firm.
      14) Vincent Taylor- Probably our best interior pass rusher. Need him to continue to progress.
      15) Kenyan Drake- Has the skillset to carry a big chunk of the offensive load if he can continue to run strong north and south and stay healthy.
      16) Kalen Ballage- Pounding the defense with our big boy will be a part of every game plan as long as he is able to hold up his end.
      17) Tank Carradine- This is not an average DT/DE. This guy can be disruptive and open lanes for blitzing LBs. Needs to stay healthy and will open some eyes.
      18) Isaiah Prince- Monstrous in size, he's still a work in progress and his play has progressively improved over the last four years while facing excellent competition. If he can break into the starting lineup by midseason and lock it down that would be huge leading into 2020 draft.
      19) Andrew Van Ginkel- Another guy who needs to work his way on to the field during the regular season and earn more and more playing time. Though still lanky in build, has great instincts playing in space and coverage. Add that to his abilty to rush the passer and make tackles behind the line of scrimmage and he may become that hybrid guy every defensive coach wishes for. Need the 2019 237 lb Van Ginkel to pave the road for the 2020 249 lb Andrew Van Ginkel.
      20) Dwayne Allen- He's the prototype TE the Dolphins are looking for; a guy that can block, come off the block and get open, catch the ball, be smart and not make mistakes. His success will help lay the foundation of what this offense will become. If one of our other guys can round out and do it better and faster than him, good for us.

Comment

• IMAWriter
        IMAWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        "17) Tank Carradine-"...sounds like a guy with the "Dirty Dozen." Or..the roid' fueled LB of a bad Adam Sandler football move...wait, they're ALL bad.

Originally posted by So Be View Post
      I'll go with your question as to "Most Important" instead of top players. I only have 10.

1 Rosen- Sooo many things revolve around his success or failure for the time table to rebuild, the MOST important draft next year, to getting a pick for Fitz before the trade deadline. He should count as 2-3 spots.

2 Harris- Has not been bad but, disappointing for a #1 pick. We have no Edge players. Having one would be a good start.

3 Tunsil- Has shown Pro Bowl potential but, not there yet. He is looking at a projected $18M a year contract, and I have to question if he is worth it for THIS team. IF we cannot work out a reasonable deal, I would trade for a #1 next year.

5/6/7 Drake, Ballage & Walton- Drake is a play maker but, can't block worth a damn, and Ballage has great talent but, is actually worse in blocking. That does not work for Pat's coaches. Walton had a wasted year in Cinci, has legal issues but, could be our best RB. There are no assurances any of the three will be here next year.

8 Gesicki- Great potential, no block but, beefed up in off season. Could light it up or, struggle for snaps.

9 Parker- When he is on the field, he shows Pro Bowl talent. Last Chance to stay on the field.

Agree with your post

Below is my own top 10

#1 Josh Rosen - He should be the franchise QB. His success will help franchise and the draft
      #2 Xavien Howard - He is Phins top corner with a ton of weight on his shoulders this season
      #3 Charles Harris - Needs to prove he is not a bust, plus Phins desperately need a pass rush
      #4 Laremey Tunsil - Has played well but this season needs to step up his game and play like 1st Rd pick
      #5 Raekwon McMillian - Needs to prove why Phins did not draft Zach Cuningham
      #6 DeVante Parker - Make or break season for Parker. He needs to prove he is not a bust
      #7 Albert Wilson - Phins need him healthy and on the field this season
      #8 Kenyan Drake - If he wants to keep his job he needs to figure out how to play position better
      #9 Jerome Baker - Needs to play like a 2nd round linebacker and step up
      #10 Christian Wilkins - Needs to prove why he was drafted so early. Stuff the run and disrupt the passing game

Last edited by PhinPhan68; 06-23-2019, 04:27 PM.

Comment

'68, to answer kels QUESTION (was gonna type "query" but in deference to your IQ...HA...KIDDING my bro-tha...) was this list yours, or outside media? I don't find it particularly questionable. Thing is, does IMPORTANT mean most valuable, or who will contribute most to the success of the team. Sort of the same thing, but I kind of think there is a LOT of room for interpretation here. I think we can agree there are maybe 4-5 potential ProBowl players...based on talent level, not necessarily previous performance...MFitz, L Tunsil, X Howard, D Parker..and if utilized correctly, A Wilson. Another 10-12 are plenty good enough in the Patsies way to hold down their gig with solid play. If those 5 I mentioned play at ProBowl level, whether chosen or not (you know how THAT goes) I believe the Fins will be a 6 win team, with maybe 4 close but no cigar losses. If those 5 somehow don't show the great talent they possesses, it will be a very disappointing, disillusioning year. At that point, the previous FO, including Grier will have to assume significant blame. (Which they wont). The Fins haveTOO MANY high draft choices to not have star players....NFL star players, not just DOLPHIN star players.

Comment

Excellent post Joe! Pretty much agree with it all, though I'ma going with IMA and say that Tunsil will never garner a 1st if he's not All-World, and if he ends up being an All-World LT, he'd be the cornerstone guy to pay and build your whole line around him..

Also, I think Harris for a 1st rounder has been a borderline bust; he's almost non-existent! It would be a godsend if he started playing like a first, but I wouldn't advise holding our breath's waiting on it...

And Parker will probably be injured before I finish typing this...

Comment

• PhinPhan68
            PhinPhan68 commented
            Editing a comment
            SportsCenter just reported Parker sprained his earlob playing in a pick-up game of four square this weekend

• Driven_Phinsane!
            Driven_Phinsane! commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, better than last year where he threw out his shoulder waving to the sideline asking to be removed from the game cos he was tired...

• PhinPhan68
            PhinPhan68 commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope you are kidding

With him you never know

Originally posted by IMAWriter View Post
          '68, to answer kels QUESTION (was gonna type "query" but in deference to your IQ...HA...KIDDING my bro-tha...) was this list yours, or outside media? I don't find it particularly questionable. Thing is, does IMPORTANT mean most valuable, or who will contribute most to the success of the team. Sort of the same thing, but I kind of think there is a LOT of room for interpretation here. I think we can agree there are maybe 4-5 potential ProBowl players...based on talent level, not necessarily previous performance...MFitz, L Tunsil, X Howard, D Parker..and if utilized correctly, A Wilson. Another 10-12 are plenty good enough in the Patsies way to hold down their gig with solid play. If those 5 I mentioned play at ProBowl level, whether chosen or not (you know how THAT goes) I believe the Fins will be a 6 win team, with maybe 4 close but no cigar losses. If those 5 somehow don't show the great talent they possesses, it will be a very disappointing, disillusioning year. At that point, the previous FO, including Grier will have to assume significant blame. (Which they wont). The Fins haveTOO MANY high draft choices to not have star players....NFL star players, not just DOLPHIN star players.
          Please keep dumbing down your posts, I am glad you picked up on me being *special* Lol

Below is an excerpt from the link I provided in the original post

"What do we know? Who the vital X-factor players are going to be for this squad. Below you’ll find the 20 most important players to the Dolphins’ 2019 season."

The original post is USA Today's list not my own

My interpretation from the article was not a list of top 20 best players

It was players that are *most important* for the team in 2019 and beyond

Only Pro Bowl players I see on the Phins roster are Jones, Fitz and Howard

Tunsil and Wilkins can easily make it if they play to their abilities and potential

With this O line I do not see any QB's, WR's or RB's making the Pro Bowl

Hoping a couple of the Phins LB's play at that level tho

Comment

• PhinPhan68
            PhinPhan68 commented
            Editing a comment
            They also are predicting that Bill Stanfill will have a big impact this season rushing the passer

• Driven_Phinsane!
            Driven_Phinsane! commented
            Editing a comment
            If Bill Stanfill didn't die a couple of years ago he could probably start ahead of Charles Harris!

• IMAWriter
            IMAWriter commented
            Editing a comment
            DP, hard to argue. Check out Bill's first 2 years compared to Chas Harris. Of course, to be somewhat fair, Bill had better coaching,

Last year, Tunsil was VG in pass protect giving up 2 sacks, 8 hits, and 13 hurries but, was just above average on the run. For all OT's, he ranked at #36. James gave up 7 sacks, 3 hits and 16 hurries, while being VG on the run and was ranked #35, while playing the easier RT. James got a HUGE deal, averaging $13M a year.

Grier is trying to work out a long term fair deal with Tunsil, as he should. If no luck, I believe we can get a first rounder (not talking top 10).

Consider:

Tunsil will get $4M this year and $10M next year (option). This allows a trading team two cheap years to average out over a long 5 year deal and the #1 pick will be next year. A bit of a risk but, one a contending team will take.

If no deal this year we have a very cheap year to keep him. If he takes the next step, his value jumps and I come back to a first rounder.

Tunsil's situation is very similar to X. X signed a 5 year extension for $75M which was actually a 6 year deal. So, the $15M average is actually $12+. My solution would be to give Tunsil around the same deal. If he wants $18M, I trade him or keep him for 2 years.

*** Tunsil had 10 penalties, all accepted. James had 7, with only 3 accepted.
          Last edited by So Be; 06-24-2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Would it be wise for Phins to take a gamble on Tunsil

Try and make a deal with him now with the hope he will turn out to be great

I like it when they make deals before the players proves how great he can play

The greedy players can ruin the rebuilding process

Comment

I would offer a 4 year extension for $60M including a signing bonus of around $10M to balance this years $4M salary. Total 6 years- $74M, $12M average, and like most every NFL contract, a 3 year out.

Comment

• IMAWriter
                IMAWriter commented
                Editing a comment
                That would be a VERY solid arrangement for the Fins. Even a VERY very good..not All Pro LT is making over 10 million. Unfortunately, after seeing guys like McCain making tons of money for, at best average play, proportionately Tunsil will probably be at the advantage during negotiations. But as you said "I WOULD OFFER", etc, so would I, but not a penny more unless it's clear he has cut down the penalties, and is staying clear of the niggling injuries to which he seems prone. Realistically, I can't see him staying for 12 million.

I would offer a 4 year extension for $60M including a signing bonus of around $10M to balance this years $4M salary. Total 6 years- $74M, $12M average, and like most every NFL contract, a 3 year out.

I like your contract idea.

Starting LT is worth it and he is a great age for a rebuilding team and O line

Comment

Originally posted by PhinPhan68 View Post
                Would it be wise for Phins to take a gamble on Tunsil

Try and make a deal with him now with the hope he will turn out to be great

I like it when they make deals before the players proves how great he can play

The greedy players can ruin the rebuilding process
                This is so true..but of course we'll need to cross our fingers & hope things have dramatically changed with our long track record of not being able to identify talent!

Comment

I'm just looking at the talent from 2016. I see Tunsil, X, Grant, Godchaux, VT, McMillian, Harris, Baker, Drake, Ballage, Gesicki, Smythe, and the recent Rosen, Wilkins, Dieter, and maybe others.

That's 15 players in 4 drafts who,IMO, look like the real deals (yet to be proven). I do not know how much Gase had to do with this but, I did want to keep him because, for the first time in MANY A MOON, I believed we had and were developing young talent.

Comment

• IMAWriter
                    IMAWriter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just cannot agree...if you include in the equation their value in relation to what round they were drafted. If so, McMillan, Harris, Smythe, Ballage and perhaps Godchaux, Taylor, and Gesicki wouldn't start for a top 10 NFL team.What have they proven? Taylor is injury prone, Godchaux is solid, nothing more, Ballage was a 3rd string back behind 36 year old Frank Gore. As much as we might WANT to elevate the perceived talent level of this team, realistically there are 3-4 ProBowl caliber players based on proven talent, other than rookies......Howard, Tunsil, Minkah, Jones. Parker has the talent, but not the will...as yet.

• So Be
                    So Be commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did post "(yet to be proven)". I believe that the above players are/will be legit NFL starters or in rotation like DT and RB.

I would add Wilkins and my long shots of McMillian and Gesicki as "potential Pro Bowlers. My point is that a good draft is supposed to bring a VG/Pro Bowl potential starter with a first rounder, a good starter in the second, and a solid/rotation guy in the 3rd in 3 years. We are not exact but, pretty close with results for the first time in a LONG time.

• IMAWriter
                    IMAWriter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, you did, but in reference to 15 players, not just the ones I mentioned. I still think overall, the Fins have drafted poorly, compared to teams like the Colts...who were WORSE than the Dolphins when Luck was gone..yes, he is HUGE. The Fins have been (IMO) below average with their top 3 round picks. Just so many ordinary...or worse decisions. Whats worse is WHOM they passed on they could have chosen. I lay this strictly at the feet of Grier and Tannenbaum.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X