Don't Be Shocked if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Be Shocked if...

If we do NOT draft a QB this year. There are three good QBs coming out net year and this year's draft is LOADED at D Line which we need. Also players like Greedy Williams at DB and Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford at Tackle. All areas of great need. This team may build from the line out and target QB next year either Tua, Hebert, or Fromm.

That's what I've been saying for the past 2 months....

Hello - is this thing on :P

Comment

• Finatic
      Finatic commented
      Editing a comment
      Of course you did. But there are several people here still not on board with the new way. And they will be the ones who flip out if we pass on Lock or Haskins if they are sitting there.

• Bahamas
      Bahamas commented
      Editing a comment
      To me Lock doesn't have a NFL throw - it has to develop. Basically the ball doesn't jump out of his hand...As a former FS - i would love to place against him.

Haskins....to be honest - I watch a little tape on him, once I read an article that the Gmen didn't want him. He reminds me of Bryon Leftwich.

He's got a cannon of an arm - and the balls rips out of his delivery. His feet are always moving, but he's your typical pocket passer. I do believe hes the top QB in this draft - ahead of Kyler Murray - but if you had him in last year draft class, he would be a 2nd round pick.

• Wulf
      Wulf commented
      Editing a comment
      Without a LINE, there is no sense focusing on the "skill positions"...

It wont shock me at all if we don't draft a QB this year. However it also won't shock me if we are selecting around #13 again next year and we are not in a position to draft one of the top QB's in next years draft without having to trade up and give up a boatload of draft picks.

Comment

• Finatic
      Finatic commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know. There are only about three or four teams this year looking for a QB. They will draft one this year, and then how many will be looking next year? I think we could get one of the top four this year or top 3 next year. If we have to move up a little we have the collateral to do it.

Only Tua excites me other than waiting for 2021 on the Clemson kid.

Comment

• TrueFinFan
      TrueFinFan commented
      Editing a comment
      I seem to be the only person that isn't sold on Trevor Lawrence

Here's my take not that anyone cares BUT this year I like Drew Lock not the others. Next year I'm fine tanking and drafting. I don't like the Clemson kid because he looks like a chick.

Comment

• AquaXI
      AquaXI commented
      Editing a comment
      A Chick that can play! I believe he is the highest rated QB prospect since Luck before his injury. Kid is the real deal and looks to be a model citizen. Maybe if you cut his hair he loses the power hehe.

I don't watch college much at all so I can only go by what I read and what I hear from friends who soak up college ball like a sponge and from what I'm Hearing Fromm is the guy to be hoping for next year. Don't shoot the messenger.
    only a fool seeks peace by inciting violence

Comment

• mofinfan
      mofinfan commented
      Editing a comment
      Fromm is my choice also. He is from Macon, Ga, plays for Georgia and looks like he doesn't get rattled when in a tight situation.

I have heard some analyst say that next years QB class is way above this one. So I expect a QB later, maybe Grier, maybe Finley from NC State. This year in the early rounds expect DLine and OLine and then get one of the young guns next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Finatic View Post
      If we do NOT draft a QB this year. There are three good QBs coming out net year and this year's draft is LOADED at D Line which we need. Also players like Greedy Williams at DB and Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford at Tackle. All areas of great need. This team may build from the line out and target QB next year either Tua, Hebert, or Fromm.
      True, next year's class does look better on paper right now but what happens if Tua and Fromm decide to return to college and play another year like Justin Herbert has done by bypassing this year's draft? Andrew Luck stayed a year longer in college than expected. Matt Barkley went back to play another year. Lots of players surprise people and go back and play another year. Suddenly if Tua and Fromm go back to college for another year, and this is something we wouldn't know until the end of next season, that could change the whole outlook of next year's draft class. I personally would rank Justin Herbert behind Kyler Murray and Dwayne Haskins, he's ahead of Drew Lock, Daniel Jones and Will Grier, but as far as I'm concerned he's not someone we would/should be happy tanking for. Now if Tua and Fromm come out and we can pick between them, fair enough, but players can surprise people. And that's before considering the possibility that they aren't as good as the hype suggests. If they turn out to be nearer Blake Bortles than Andrew Luck, we go from getting "the guy" to getting another so-so quarterback we will go nowhere with. So while I can understand the logic behind tanking, it brings no guarantee of success.

As for this year's class, you are right that it is a strong year for the D-Line. There's some good corners, a couple of decent linebackers, and some good tackle and guard prospects. But if let's say Dwayne Haskins falls past the Giants, we should be at least picking up the phone to see what it would cost for us to move up and get him. That kid looks like a potential franchise quarterback. Now I'm not convinced about Drew Lock or Daniel Jones, but Dwayne Haskins is well worth drafting, and I wouldn't discount someone like Will Grier on day two. But if the right guy doesn't fall or it is too costly to move up, we should be patient and build the team from the inside out. Beef up that OL and DL, then go from there.
      Last edited by Mike8272; 03-19-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Clayton Thorson and Jarrett Stidham are two more interesting prospects in this year's class. Stidham's ability to throw across the middle is impressive. The nice thing is being able to be patient this year. I love that we consider all possibilities and discuss all options at QB, now that Banana-peel is no longer one of them, but I won't be heartbroken over losing out on any of them.

Comment

I say the opposite. While I think most don’t expect a QB this year because next years class is so much better. As it’s been said before, who knows what next year will bring? What if Tua and Fromm decide to stay in college, Hebert has a bad season?

My personal feelings is at this moment I rank Hebert, Haskins, and Lock the top 3 QB’s out of the 2019 and 2020 drafts. I feel that Hebert has the best tools. I think Haskins could be special, with mobility and the ability to be a QB. He reminds me of a bigger Russell Wilson. I know Bahama isn’t a big fan of Lock, but I like him. Reminds me a bit of Aaron Rogers with his ability to extend the play and make throws on the run. He also seem to have that “it” factor.

I thinknTua and Fromm are overrated. Fromm although I think showed better last year, there’s still more I need to see from him. Tua got exposed by Clemson, it will be interesting to see how he does this year,

with all that that being said, I say don’t be shocked if Haskins or Lock are Miami’s first pick this year.

Comment

• HndRkyaBong34
            HndRkyaBong34 commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s my gut feeling as well...I agree with your QB assessment..

Another factor why we could take someone this year, or why we should at least consider it for the right prospect, is that sometimes the experts get it wrong and a player emerges that no-one expected to or is better than expected. Take Dak Prescott, he was a fourth round pick and has done a good job with the Cowboys. He has his flaws which might prevent him becoming an elite quarterback, but there is a guy that has stepped into the league and done a solid job and become the Cowboys' next franchise quarterback. If memory serves Derek Carr was the fourth quarterback off the board in his draft class and was taken in the second round, yet he has easily been the best quarterback from that year's class. Then there is the 2012 draft class. Who were the top four quarterbacks selected? Luck, RGII, Tannehill and Weeden. How many Super Bowl rings? 0. Yet the 6th and 7th taken quarterbacks in the third round, Russell Wilson and Nick Foles, both have Super Bowl rings and Foles was the MVP. One might even argue that Wilson should have two rings had Carroll not made the foolish decision to pass instead of giving the ball to Lynch. And then there is the old notion that a player might/will need to change position to succeed in the NFL. There were some people calling for Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson to play another position, yet both have shown to varying degrees that they can play quarterback in the NFL.

So sometimes the experts get it wrong and pick other players above certain others, and those certain others go on to have better careers than the chosen players or at least better careers than expected. Now maybe this year's class will mirror the one with EJ Manuel, Geno Smith and co. But I suspect there will be a good quarterback or two come out of this year's class (likely Murray and Haskins). I'm not sure about Drew Lock, Daniel Jones and Will Grier, but who knows they might surprise us and one of them might become a better quarterback than expected! Granted they might never become the next Rodgers, but if we got someone in the next tier down you can win with that caliber of quarterbacks as long as the team is built to support them (i.e. strong OL, run game, elite defense).

Comment

• Finatic
            Finatic commented
            Editing a comment
            Great points. I think the QB position is the hardest to accurately identify what will translate into the NFL. I am not sure many expected Pat Mahomes to light it up at the NFL level, yet here he is breaking records. It is not uncommon at all to find later round QBs who's game translates to the NFL and become a franchise player. So, we may not pick a QB at #13...but maybe...maybe later? And no big deal of they do not hit big. You try again next year.

• Wulf
            Wulf commented
            Editing a comment
            Drafting a QB is often hit/miss, many "sure things" are busts, then there are the guys like Marino, drafted at 27th (Out of 28), the same year that Elway went #1, Blackledge #7, Kelly #14, Eason #15, and O'Brien #24. For the 6th QB drafted that year, Dan turned out okay. Eason started about 50 games for two different teams in his 8 season career...
            Or Tom Brady, who was drafted in the 6th round(199th) 19 years ago... (The 7th QB selected in a "bad year for QB"s, where Chad Pennington was selected first, at #18)

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X