Offensive Coordinators (Plural)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive Coordinators (Plural)

"Sherman's offense struggled mightily during Miami's 8-8 season in 2013. The Dolphins were ranked 27th in total offense and 26th in scoring at 19.8 points per game.
    Sherman often was criticized for a lack of balance and predictable play calling. But the final nail was after crucial, season-ending losses to the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ve-coordinator

FAST-FORWARD TWO YEARS

Can't we just re-write this article, change the dates, add Lazor's name in place of Sherman's and everything would seem like it is still the same after we changed offensive coordinators, added a bunch of free agent wide receivers and tight ends, used a 1st and 3rd round pick on receivers and an early round pick on a running back.

Let's try it out............................

"Lazor's offense struggled mightily during Miami's 8-8 season in 2014. The Dolphins were ranked 27th in total offense and 26th in scoring at 19.8 points per game.

Lazor often was criticized for a lack of balance and predictable play calling. But the final nail was after crucial, season-ending losses to the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets."

My Point ?

MAYBE Sherman wasn't the problem?!? Maybe Lazor isn't the problem?!? MAYBE, just MAYBE..................BOTH of these offensive coordinators were, or in Lazor's case, are being FORCED to play to Tannehll's "strengths" and having to alter and/or limit their own playbook because Tannehill doesn't have what it takes to run the kind of offense they want to run. Is it possible that TWO offensive coordinators had the exact same problem in Miami and they are to blame? Or, is it possible that the QUARTERBACK that they were working with was the problem??

Please post your thoughts on the subject, and please try to be objective and not just defend Tannehill because he is the Dolphins quarterback.

*****Remember......TWO offensive coordinators had the exact same problems with the Dolphins offense and they had one thing in common going into the job, their quarterback*******

RT isn't a RB, they don't have to play to RT at all, just run baby run, but they can't, that means teams don't respect the run and can drop back for the pass without too much worry....

Also, whatever game plan there is isn't working, especially once the D puts us in a hole, now we can't run, only thing left is pass.....pin the ears back and kill this OL......

Comment

Originally posted by Seadog View Post
      RT isn't a RB, they don't have to play to RT at all, just run baby run, but they can't, that means teams don't respect the run and can drop back for the pass without too much worry....

Also, whatever game plan there is isn't working, especially once the D puts us in a hole, now we can't run, only thing left is pass.....pin the ears back and kill this OL......
      They can't run the ball partly because of the o-line but the other part is because nobody has respect for Tannehill's arm. It's a whole lot easier to stop the running game of any team that doesn't have a deep threat in the passing game. Opponents are not afraid of Tannehill's deep ball so they can play up closer to the line, since they know most of his passes are 2-8 yards. So, it's not just a DEEP pass that teams don't have to worry about, they don't even have to worry about he ball traveling 15-20 yards anymore.

The Dolphins wouldn't have scored a point against the Jets if it wasn't for all the pass interference calls. The Dolphins got lucky! The Jets defenders grabbed the Dolphins receivers jerseys which forced the calls. If the Jets DB's would have just let the receivers run past them they would have NEVER caught up to the football because ALL of Tannehill's passes were uncatchable because they were so badly overthrown.

Comment

I read somewhere (May even have been here on this forum) that Sherman had complained about the fact Philbin wanted to be more of a passing team and that's what we're still seeing, so I'm anxious to see how committed we will be to the running game from here out.
        While it takes two to have an argument, it only takes one to walk away.

Comment

Found this to be an interesting read so I'll share The half that discusses the offense.
          The Dolphins’ offensive problem is oddly almost the exact opposite of the defensive problem. On defense they are trying to protect players who don’t necessarily need protecting, while on offense they have given little help to a porous offensive line. They have the worst guard tandem in the NFL and it isn’t really close. Dallas Thomas and Jamil Douglas rank 77th and 79th out of 79 guards that have received meaningful snaps this year. Mind you there are only 64 starting guards in the NFL at one point in time.
          The Dolphins “solution” to having our 28th ranked pass protection unit has been to become the most pass heavy team in all of the NFL, dropping back to pass on a ridiculous 73 percent of their offensive snaps. They have been trailing a lot, which adds to that number, but it’s utterly ridiculous to ask that much of an offensive line that’s been without their best lineman, left tackle Branden Albert, since Week 2.
          An emphasis absolutely needs to be put on the run and the quick-passing game to bring balance and ease pressure on the line. Right now 33 percent of Ryan Tannehill’s attempts have come within two seconds or less, almost exactly the league average. With a leaky offensive line and a myriad of playmakers on the outside, one would expect them to be among the league leaders in that category. They’ve schemed an offense that has been completely dependent on Tannehill’s performance and the results speak for themselves.
          I truly believe coaching in the NFL is more important than any other major professional sport and I’m not sure it’s even close. The Dolphins are a team where a real change can actually be made and they had to push reset on the season. There’s no way to completely overhaul a scheme midseason, but it’s clear the coaching and the talent were not aligned and tweaks can be made to fix that.
          They may be 1-3 right now, but the Dolphins are just one game out of the last wild card spot in the AFC. There’s a lot of work to be done, but Miami’s season is far from over.

Comment

I fully agree with both of you. In four games, Tannehill showed he is a LOSER and he sucks the energy right out of the offense. He should never put on a Dolphins uniform again. Him and his cowardly two yard passes on 3rd and 7. Please just go away. Big pansy. We screwed the pooch when we didn't draft two OGs, grab Lael Collins and sign Evan Mathis. Instead we saw our weakness at the wide receiver position. Guess what? Our passing game still sucks and it appears we have four very frustrated wide receivers. We need to run the ball 75% of the time and run play action off of it. Which one in the front office is the official idiot? Is it Hickey or Tannenbaum? Is anyone taking responsibility for the offseason? Now that Philbin is gone will Lazor show a little competence and let us all know he has never had confidence in Gomer Pyle behind Center.

Comment

So, Suh is the reason we can't stop the run on D, ok then we should never let him put on another Dolphin uniform and get Coyle the players he needs......

Comment

Originally posted by Seadog View Post
                So, Suh is the reason we can't stop the run on D, ok then we should never let him put on another Dolphin uniform and get Coyle the players he needs......
                LMAO!!!! Uhh yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by kelbail21 View Post
                  I fully agree with both of you. In four games, Tannehill showed he is a LOSER and he sucks the energy right out of the offense. He should never put on a Dolphins uniform again. Him and his cowardly two yard passes on 3rd and 7. Please just go away. Big pansy. We screwed the pooch when we didn't draft two OGs, grab Lael Collins and sign Evan Mathis. Instead we saw our weakness at the wide receiver position. Guess what? Our passing game still sucks and it appears we have four very frustrated wide receivers. We need to run the ball 75% of the time and run play action off of it. Which one in the front office is the official idiot? Is it Hickey or Tannenbaum? Is anyone taking responsibility for the offseason? Now that Philbin is gone will Lazor show a little competence and let us all know he has never had confidence in Gomer Pyle behind Center.
                  You wouldn't happen to own a Dolphins colored boat would you???

Comment

Originally posted by gulfcoast74 View Post
                    You wouldn't happen to own a Dolphins colored boat would you???
                    Don't know how many times it needs to be said, we have NO other viable option at QB right now. I don't care how bad anyone THINK'S Tannehill is, there is NO other answer for this team right now.

Comment

With Sherman we were able to score in the RZ but never could get there. With "Lazor" we can get to the RZ but can't get TDs.

Points Per Game
                      2012: 27th, 18
                      2013: 26th, 19.8
                      2014: 11th, 24.2

Team RZ Scoring Attempts
                      2012: 28th, 2.4
                      2013: 23rd, 2.9
                      2014: 2nd, 4.2

Team RZ Scoring TD Percentage
                      2012: 11th, 55.26%
                      2013: 11th, 56.52%
                      2014: 21st, 51.47%

QB Rating in the RZ
                      2012: 18th, 89
                      2013: 6th, 101.6
                      2014: 7th, 101.8

This year just by the eye balls this entire O has sucked. "Lazor" hasn't been FORCED to play to RT strengths but has been FORCED to constantly pass the ball as we have no running game, abandon the run to soon, the D doesn't stop shit and the team has constantly been playing from behind making the O one dimensional. This is also going on 4 years with a worthless O-line that has been constantly on it's heels in defensive mode TRYING(for a lack of a better word) to protect RT. There are maybe, MAYBE, a FEW QBs that would have SOME more success than RT with the way this TEAM has played and it's not like we can just go out and get Rogers or hope/draft the next Luck or Marino. RT CAN get it done and HAS got it done before but he needs help. He needs less on his plate not more as he is not an elite QB, which even with one this TEAM still wouldn't go very far. Stealing some RZ plays from Sherman wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

Ask Luck how's his year going, same problem as Miami OL, damn guy should just quit.....

Comment

Since 98% of the Dolphins fans on the Phinatics forum wanted the Dolphins front office to go after WIDE RECEIVERS instead of building a solid line I have no sympathy for how porous the offensive line is and/or how terrible our guards are. I'm not employed by the NFL, I am just a fan, and I saw the offensive line as our biggest need and thought getting wide receivers was a HUGE mistake. I mentioned how it was like the old adage getting your cart before the horse, because there is no point having all those receivers if your quarterback doesn't have time to throw. Well, guess what? The quarterback does NOT have time to throw and when he does have time to throw he doesn't know how to throw a football!!!!!!!! I was correct. Why do some of the fans know more then the front office of the Dolphins? As I mentioned in another thread, this whole team, from top to bottom needs to be fired. It's time to GUT THIS FISH! I wish Campbell all the luck he deserves, he seems like a great tight ends coach, but he isn't being given a fair shake having to inherit a team with a terrible quarterback, a terrible defensive coordinator and possibly a bad offensive coordinator, but I can't say that until I see Lazor try and call plays with a REAL quarterback who can actually throw the ball past 10 yards.

There will NEVER be a running game in Miami as long as their quarterback is TERRIFIED to throw to open receivers because they are too far down the field. (Too far is anything past 15 yards....it used to be 20 but he is getting less and less confident in his limited abilities)

Comment

There will NEVER be a running game in Miami as long as their quarterback is TERRIFIED to throw to open receivers because they are too far down the field. (Too far is anything past 15 yards....it used to be 20 but he is getting less and less confident in his limited abilities)

Sounds like the same thing that happened to David Carr after years of getting his ass kicked by defenders.

Comment

Originally posted by VAIDER5120 View Post
                              With Sherman we were able to score in the RZ but never could get there. With "Lazor" we can get to the RZ but can't get TDs.

This year just by the eye balls this entire O has sucked. "Lazor" hasn't been FORCED to play to RT strengths but has been FORCED to constantly pass the ball as we have no running game, abandon the run to soon, the D doesn't stop shit and the team has constantly been playing from behind making the O one dimensional. This is also going on 4 years with a worthless O-line that has been constantly on it's heels in defensive mode TRYING(for a lack of a better word) to protect RT. There are maybe, MAYBE, a FEW QBs that would have SOME more success than RT with the way this TEAM has played and it's not like we can just go out and get Rogers or hope/draft the next Luck or Marino. RT CAN get it done and HAS got it done before but he needs help. He needs less on his plate not more as he is not an elite QB, which even with one this TEAM still wouldn't go very far. Stealing some RZ plays from Sherman wouldn't hurt either.
                              Is Lazor abandoning the run because they are playing from behind OR is it because they have no running game? IMO Miller is NOT a good running back. However, I think there are more quarterbacks that could play behind this bad offensive line then there are running backs that could play behind it. Why? It's because Tannehill can NOT stretch the fucking field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Jets game was a perfect example. He threw screen passes all fucking day long and when he FINALLY threw the ball deep the ball sailed WAY over the receivers heads, on every pass! The only reason the Dolphins scored was because the Jets kept holding. NO, the holding didn't prevent the receivers from getting to where the ball was being thrown. There isn't a human alive that could have gotten under Tannehill's passes. In my opinion and eyeball test, Tannehill is one of the biggest problems with this Dolphins team. The DEFENSE obviously needs to improve, drastically, but even if they do if the offense is going to play the generic offense that includes four plays( Run straight up the middle into a group of linemen, a screen pass to the left, a screen pass to the right, and an overthrow all over the field) then this team has no chance of winning.

Did anyone else see Tannehill throw the same exact pass THREE PLAYS IN A ROW?? The Jets countered by calling the same defensive plays three times in a row and it made the Dolphins look like a bunch of children they found at a school to put on the field just to humiliate them.

Comment

• London Fish & Chips
                                London Fish & Chips commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Luck can't, Manning couldn't throw a long ball to save his life and they can't run the ball, although they stick with the run and get plays every now and then, but the Donkeys D is why they are 4-0, Manning would be out of football if he played behind this OL....

Let's see, Wilson was paid a ton of money, a damn near fumbled the game away last night, so he's out.....

Kapernicky, please, never happening

OK, I give, what QB could play behind this OL

• DolphinsFreak
                                DolphinsFreak commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I disagree with the names you mentioned. So, I am not going to bother giving you a list since you will then disagree with my list. It will be a futile discussion. I will throw out one name, and he isn't even elite. Philip Rivers. I watched the Chargers game on Sunday and their o-line might be worse then the Dolphins. They have THREE starters that are injured, Rivers' favorite target still suspended, and I believe they only had one or two healthy wide receivers in the game. How did he react? He threw for 358 Yards, 3 Touchdowns and NO INT's. :-)

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X