Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Back Committee?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Running Back Committee?

    Not seeing a dominant RB so far, unless it's Pead...
    Foster is 2/-5
    Thomas is 17/70 with 2 receptions for 7 yds
    Ajai 8/25
    Williams 11/15
    Pead 14/98 with 2 receptions for 27 yds
    Drake is 0/0

    I realize it's preseason and some of these backs are making plays against guys who may be parking cars next month, but at least Pead IS making plays...

  • #2
    I think we will have a rotation. Only a few players like Adrian Peterson are so great you just can't take them off the field. I do not think this will all be decided by regular season game 1. First our lack of an offensive line makes it very hard to truly evaluate our running backs. The lack of sustained drives hurts the process too. Right now I'd have to say Pead, Ajayi, Foster. Thomas and Williams have had their opportunities and have never proven to be NFL starting caliber. They are little more than training camp depth. Drake is an IR candidate and will be lucky to contribute on special teams this year, he has just missed too much for a rookie running back that isn't an overwhelming talent. I put Pead first primarily because he has just played harder so far. Breaks tackles, makes people miss, just has an attitude that has been sorely lacking on this team. He is going to make you take him all the way to the ground on every play.

    Comment


    • Phintim Menace
      Phintim Menace commented
      Editing a comment
      Arian Foster in his last full season (2014) had 1,246 yards rushing, 6th in the NFL as the premier back for Texans. Last Dolphin to top that was Ricky Williams in 2003.

    • Wulf
      Wulf commented
      Editing a comment
      You were the one who named Foster among those who never proved to be a starter, I merely responded to that quote. The question I was raising is whether we would have 3 or 4 "main RB's" rather than 1 or 2. I don't see many teams without a starter...

    • Phintim Menace
      Phintim Menace commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I didn't word it very clearly. Just the period, but when I reread it after your response I see what you mean. I meant to say I think Ajayi, Pead and Foster all deserve a shot at being the #1 back. On the other hand I feel like Thomas and Williams have been given opportunities and never shown an ability to be a #1.

  • #3
    Originally posted by Phintim Menace View Post
    I put Pead first primarily because he has just played harder so far. Breaks tackles, makes people miss, just has an attitude that has been sorely lacking on this team. He is going to make you take him all the way to the ground on every play.
    I also give Pead a serious high mark for his effort, he's like Landry for the ground game, IF he can make it happen in real games!

    Comment


    • #4
      I think Ajayi and Pead should be the only locks to make the final roster at this point. If Drake does not get healthy anytime soon then I think he will go on IR. That will leave Williams Thomas and Foster competing for 2 remaining spots. This next game is a big one for Foster because if he has another minus rushing performance then I think he will be cut. There will be decent RB's cut from other teams later on who are younger and didn't have the kind of injury that Foster had.
      Last edited by FTLDOLFAN; 08-21-2016, 12:23 PM.

      Comment


      • #5
        Damien Williams and Daniel Thiomas are the running back equivalent to guards Dallas Thomas and Billy Turner. It will be my mini Super Bowl when all four of these players are no longer wearing Dolphins uniforms.

        IMO - The Dolphins will go with a committee starting with Foster as the #1 and either Pead or Ajayi as the #2, with the other being the #3 back and they will rotate these three depending on the situation.

        So so far this offensive line is making the running game seem nonexistent and it wouldnt matter if we had an elite RB or a committee full of good RB's. The o-line needs to be addressed immediately.

        People led make fun of Jerry Jones but how he built that offensive line over the past few years is intelligent and impressive. If the Dolphins would have done the same we may be looking at a better, more efficient team. JMO

        Comment


        • Phintim Menace
          Phintim Menace commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, agree fully. But then we did make every attempt to build that O'Line. More attention paid to it than Dallas did. We just didn't know how to do it right. I still just don't like the attitude of the players. Acting like they are biding their time, collecting checks and waiting to audition for life after football. Maybe Richie Incognito was RIGHT!

        • DolphinsFreak
          DolphinsFreak commented
          Editing a comment
          I will have to disagree that the Dolphins did everything they could to build an offensive line. Since 2011 the Cowboys have been stalking up on 1st round linemen. Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, Travis Frederick, La'El Collins and Doug Free. The Cowboys have 1st round picks at four out of five positions with Doug Free being drafted in the 4th round. It sounds similar but the HUGE difference is that the Cowboys drafted all these players, they did not wash out from other teams. The other more important thing to point out is that these players were drafted in the first round at the position they play, they were not drafted in the 1st round at one position and then forced to play another. They drafted guards to play guard, a center to play center and tackles to play tackle. What a novel concept. Grier was a mistake. Tannenbaum is overrated. The Dolphins need to get out of their own way and stop allowing these egomaniacs to think they are going to outsmart the rest of the league will the their new way of doing things. If you need a guard, go out and sign a f-ing guard. Don't get cute and try and turn a tackle into a guard. Don't allow the coaches ego to get in the way, thinking they can do what others haven't and coach below average players into starting caliber guards. The Dolphins should have had the balls to draft Collins and the smarts to sign free agent guard Evan Mathis. Easy fixes. Evans was a top 5 guard who lives in the Miami area so it should have been a easy. But, building through the draft is the way to do it but the Dolphins keep drafting wide receivers and other positions instead of o-linemen. Drafting James in the 1st round, which most say was a reach, isn't good enough to build a great offensive line.JMO

        • DolphinsFreak
          DolphinsFreak commented
          Editing a comment
          Another Opinin/Conspiracy Theory - I believe the Cowboys owner concocted that whole situation with Collins and his ex-girlfriend to make his draft stock drop. That story magically disappeared after the Cowboys signed Collins. He grew up a Cowboys fan. How convenient.

      • #6
        The Dolphins have more invested resources in their O-line than any other team including the Cowboys.

        Mike Pouncey was a first round pick in 2011.

        Branden Albert was a high priced free agent acquisition in 2014 who was a first round pick himself back in 2008.

        Juwuan James was a first round pick in 2014.

        Laremy Tunsil was a first round pick in 2016.

        Dallas Thomas was a third round pick in 2013.

        Billy Turner was a third round pick in 2014.

        Jamil Douglas was a fourth round pick in 2015.

        The problem is that we have not invested wisely.

        I forgot to mention Jonathan Martin who was a second round pick in 2012 who is no longer with the team.

        Comment


        • DolphinsFreak
          DolphinsFreak commented
          Editing a comment
          So, in the same amount of time the Cowboys have proven that a rich guy who loves his football team can do a better job at building a team then 3-4 general managers. Since 2011 to present the Cowboys have built the best offensive line in football while the Dophins have built one of the worst.

          Like I've been saying for decades, I think a fan form this forum could do a better job then these high priced general managers that the Dolphins keep hiring and firing.

        • Phintim Menace
          Phintim Menace commented
          Editing a comment
          That we definitely agree on. It isn't that we haven't spent the money and draft picks to have an elite line, we just haven't done a very good job of getting results.

      • #7
        I totally agree. I think the Dolphins have had the worst management in the NFL for the past decade and a half. So is it any surprise we have not had a playoff victory since 2000 and have not made the playoffs since 2008?

        Comment


        • #8
          No surprise to me at all. People get upset and think I hate Tannehill. That is a little extreme. I am fed up with him because I am fed up with this organization and its incompetence. They have been this way since the Shula and Marino days, and if you really analyse the team it was even pretty bad during those years. The fact that the Dolphins had a quarterback like Dan Marino and only managed to appear in ONE Super Bowl during his 16 years is pathetic and embarrassing. They had about 10 playoff appearances but because they never built a solid, balanced team on both sides of the ball Marino only got to the Super Bowl one time. Mike Robbie, Eddie Jones and Jimmy Johnson could put together a team that would help Dan get his ring.

          Are the Dilphins ever going to have a balanced team? The odds are not in the organizations favor.

          Comment


          • #9
            All things considered, I was impressed with Ajayi's running against the Cowboys. The run blocking was terrible and he should have been stuffed in the backfield at least 4 times. He finished with 6 carries for 19 yards and a 3.2 average making positive yards on his own. Re-watch the game and see how many times had had to get the ball and dodge a defender in the backfield instantly.

            Comment


            • #10
              Originally posted by FTLDOLFAN View Post
              The Dolphins have more invested resources in their O-line than any other team including the Cowboys.

              Mike Pouncey was a first round pick in 2011.

              Branden Albert was a high priced free agent acquisition in 2014 who was a first round pick himself back in 2008.

              Juwuan James was a first round pick in 2014.

              Laremy Tunsil was a first round pick in 2016.

              Dallas Thomas was a third round pick in 2013.

              Billy Turner was a third round pick in 2014.

              Jamil Douglas was a fourth round pick in 2015.

              The problem is that we have not invested wisely.

              I forgot to mention Jonathan Martin who was a second round pick in 2012 who is no longer with the team.

              Pouncey should have been traded and we should have signed Alex Mack when he was available. Pouncey has always been over-rated. We were much better in 2014 when Satale was the OC and Pouncey was at OG. Now Pouncey's other hip is giving him problems. Sucks that he was re-signed and we're stuck with him.

              No issues with the signing of Albert as we whiffed on Martin. Albert is a quality LT, but I would have preferred to have moved him to OG and put Tunsil at LT, but whatever...

              James was not the target in that draft. He was the 5th OLman taken and a ''need'' pick.

              Billy Turner was a major Fk up. Hickey moved up for him, giving up a 3rd and 4th to Oakland to secure the pick when we should've just drafted Trai Turner, who is now a Pro-bowl RG.

              Jamil Douglas has proven to be a major embarrassment for Hickey's tenure. He isn't able to play at OT, OG, nor OC. He showed up to mini-camp fat and OOS. He also hasn't done anything of note this off-season and could be cut.

              Agree with your assessment that it hasn't been a lack of effort, but poor decisions. Additionally, just because a guy was drafted in the 1st round doesn't automatically make him a better player than anyone else. Most of our picks on the OL have not proven out regardless of round. Hoping that now changes with Tunsil coming on-board.

              Comment


              • #11
                Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post


                Pouncey should have been traded and we should have signed Alex Mack when he was available. Pouncey has always been over-rated. We were much better in 2014 when Satale was the OC and Pouncey was at OG. Now Pouncey's other hip is giving him problems. Sucks that he was re-signed and we're stuck with him.

                No issues with the signing of Albert as we whiffed on Martin. Albert is a quality LT, but I would have preferred to have moved him to OG and put Tunsil at LT, but whatever...

                James was not the target in that draft. He was the 5th OLman taken and a ''need'' pick.

                Billy Turner was a major Fk up. Hickey moved up for him, giving up a 3rd and 4th to Oakland to secure the pick when we should've just drafted Trai Turner, who is now a Pro-bowl RG.

                Jamil Douglas has proven to be a major embarrassment for Hickey's tenure. He isn't able to play at OT, OG, nor OC. He showed up to mini-camp fat and OOS. He also hasn't done anything of note this off-season and could be cut.

                Agree with your assessment that it hasn't been a lack of effort, but poor decisions. Additionally, just because a guy was drafted in the 1st round doesn't automatically make him a better player than anyone else. Most of our picks on the OL have not proven out regardless of round. Hoping that now changes with Tunsil coming on-board.
                Yep! Moving up for Turner was one of THE worst moves since using three pics (3rd, 5th, and 6th) to get Daniel Thomas... That entire 2011 draft was a disaster!

                Comment


                • cuchulainn
                  cuchulainn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah... I keep trying to give Turner the benefit of the doubt as I know Philbin's staff was incompetent and properly develop any player we drafted under him. Philbin's entire tenure was marred with nepotism and favorites playing with the roster from Pat Devlin to Jamil Douglas.

                  And Turner was orginally drafted to the LT of the future. Terrible decision on Hickey and Philbin's part, but par for the course with those two.

              • #12
                I still stand by my prediction a few months ago, if given the same STARTING opportunities as Miller,Ajayi (barring injury) will be a 1000 yd back. Cuch i agree, he makes people miss,he will break a few. Peade should be the back up . I for one did not feel we need it Foster. IMO

                Comment


                • #13
                  Originally posted by 39Zonk View Post
                  I still stand by my prediction a few months ago, if given the same STARTING opportunities as Miller,Ajayi (barring injury) will be a 1000 yd back. Cuch i agree, he makes people miss,he will break a few. Peade should be the back up . I for one did not feel we need it Foster. IMO
                  Thanks... I like Ajayi a lot, but he's been dinged up some given his running style as he's a violent runner. Pead has bounced around the league for the past 5 years. He has yet to perform in a real game. Foster is insurance as he's a proven vet, but also has an injury history. I think we'll need all these guys over the course of the season.

                  The guy I'd like to cut is Daniel Thomas... I'd dump him for Karlos Williams in a heatbeat.

                  Comment


                  • #14
                    Originally posted by FTLDOLFAN View Post
                    I totally agree. I think the Dolphins have had the worst management in the NFL for the past decade and a half. So is it any surprise we have not had a playoff victory since 2000 and have not made the playoffs since 2008?
                    From 2010 to 2013, the Cowboys went 6-10, then 8-8 for 3 straight years. 2014 was a winning season for them at 12-4. Last year, they were 4-12... it happens.

                    Dunno if we've had the worst mgt, but we've definitely had some of the worst player evaluations and coaches in the past 16 years.

                    Comment

                    Unconfigured Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X