Dolphins making unwise decision with their secondary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphins making unwise decision with their secondary

Here’s what doesn’t make sense to me, and I know it’s early, but it’s got me a little frustrated. Why is Michael Thomas starting at the Free Safety Position? Don’t get me wrong, Thomas is special – by that I mean he is a special team’s contributor with spot appearance.

The Dolphins just spent 4 million a year on Isa Abdul-Quddus aka IQ, and Vance Joseph has him running with the second team? What am I missing here? VJ is the one that handpicked IQ, and he’s not starting? Doesn’t make sense to me.

The frustrating part in all of this, is that the one interception that has come all camp, was intercepted, by yes, you guessed it IQ.
    Follow
    Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
    Abdul-Quddus had the pick. Ball off Arian Fosters hands.
    7:49 PM - 2 Aug 2016

Based on the reports that are coming out of training camp from the media outlets it seems like our defensive backs are getting schooled by our Wide Receivers. Tony Lippett has been demoted from starting beta cornerback to running to the second teams. A cast off former 4th rounder is now starting in his place.

We have to start considering Leon Hall. Why hasn’t he been at least brought in for a medical check. The Dolphins yesterday worked out Brandon Spikes who was out of the league all last year due to a court violation where he accidently hit 3 by standers.

That doesn’t make sense to me? Why look at Spikes and not Hall? Hall address a large need that a two down linebacker that hasn’t played since 2014. Something weird is going on, the Dolphins fans are starting to notice a negative trend with this new coaching regimen.

Basically, this is a case of déjà vu. Where two years ago Mike Pouncey went down with a hip injury and instead of signing a Center right away, the Dolphins waited and thought an in-house solution could be found. Joe Philbin was a stubborn coach, one that was naïve to think that changing philosophy would work and continuing to believe in the system would right the wrong.

Now, it’s too late. Report are now that the Giants have signed Leon Hall to a one year contract up to 2 million. The Dolphins should have jumped on this, and very quietly the New York Giants have brought together a very scare secondary with a mean upfront pass rush.
    Follow
    Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
    FA CB Leon Hall's deal with the #Giants is for 1 year and can be worth up to $2M, source said. Picked #Giants over #Bengals.
    9:33 AM - 4 Aug 2016

Isn’t that what the Dolphins were trying to do?

Definitely the position that gives me the most angst and it sounds like they're as bad on the field (except Maxwell) as they look on paper. The injury to Howard is huge because he was the guy expected to start opposite Maxwell. Losing all this work in training camp is going to set him back a lot IMO. Agree on Hall, should have grabbed him.

Comment

Leon Hall is expected to sign with the Giants ...

Per Gase, as for IAQ and others, this staff is making guys earn their starting roles. Thomas played and started some last season. Same with Dallas Thomas, etc... new guys are expected to beat them out and start during the season but they're going to have to earn it...

Comment

• Phintim Menace
        Phintim Menace commented
        Editing a comment
        This is my impression too. Tunsil is running with the second string. So I think it's a discipline / respect thing. These guys are supposed to be far better players, so what's wrong with them having to show that in camp rather than just being handed a free pass?

• Bahamas
        Bahamas commented
        Editing a comment
        Brov- what did Thomas do to earn the start? I mean if you are trying to earn the position, i get it...but what is the precedent to have the job pointed to you? That is where I am confused

• cuchulainn
        cuchulainn commented
        Editing a comment
        @ Tim - Completely agree...

@ Bahamas - You're forgetting that we lost Delmas last year and that the FS spot was a toss up between Aikens and Thomas and Thomas was the better of the two. Not that he was very good, but he did start last season. I expect IAQ to win it, but as with the others, he has to prove himself over the guy who already had the spot...

hall is gone and we have a $4mil backup. Still I trust Vance since he is there 15 hours a day. Ok I'll say it. We should have kept Taylor for insurance instead of a 7th round swap.
      Last edited by AquaXI; 08-04-2016, 02:10 PM.
      The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

Also heard Michael Thomas is getting a close look as a slot CB, so at this point I think they are just shuffling guys from position to position to see what they have. At least I hope that's the case. I also think once healthy the kid from Oregon should get a hard look at a starting boundary spot.

Comment

I dont understand why our front office is so stubborn. Everyone knows we are in a desperate situation with our corners and yet we don't make any moves.

Comment

• cuchulainn
            cuchulainn commented
            Editing a comment
            They're waiting for guys to return from injury and going by what the Coaches are telling them about our roster. We have a month to see where we are before the season starts.

Originally posted by Aquaaiea View Post
          hall is gone and we have a $4mil backup. Still I trust Vance since he is there 15 hours a day. Ok I'll say it. We should have kept Taylor for insurance instead of a 7th round swap.
          Yes, trading away Jamar Taylor when we knew we were going to be thin at corner made no sense to me. We didn't even get anything for him, just a trade up in the 7th round. This is the final year of his contract anyway so what was the harm in giving him one more chance. This front office does too many things that make no sense.

Comment

• AquaXI
            AquaXI commented
            Editing a comment
            Completely agree with you.

• cuchulainn
            cuchulainn commented
            Editing a comment
            Taylor and Davis both ended up simply being wasted picks in a bad draft. Neither panned out and I don't regret dumping either guy and moving on. What really sucks is that Queasy Joe and Clueless Coyles didn't want either Vontae Davis nor Sean Smith and both turned into good players after moving on to better coaching staffs...

No surprise here. They needed a guard. A top 5 guard was sitting in free agency and lived in Miami and they didn't pick up the phone and sign him. They need a cornerback do they all up a linebacker who likes to play Grand Threft Auto with real people. It gets tiresome bring a Dolphins fan.

Comment

We can't fix everything at once. It appears our first focus is the offense adding Tunsil, three very good pass catchers and Arian Foster. 2016 will give Gase a chance to fully and fairly evaluate Tannehill and decide whether or not he has the goods.
            The foundation of this defense will be the front four. The LBs and DBs are going to have to learn to play fast and play together. This may take time and an infusion of talent in 2017. In the meantime, Vance Joseph will sift through a collection of young, talented CBs that have been limited due to past injuries. This is their chance to step up and prove their NFL worthiness. Losing Howard was a big, unexpected setback but I believe there are two or three guys in camp that can rise to the occasion. It takes a little longer to get back into rythym running backward than it does running forward.
            Leon Hall is a 32 year old CB coming off of a back injury and an achilles tear. Joseph probably has pretty good insight into that situation. Quddus...yeah. Let's just say, "Quddus must produce." I would have preferred FS Reggie Nelson and his deep ball skills to allow our young Corners to be aggressive while having some protection over the top.
            But if I had to bet on our starting CB (opposite Maxwell) and Mario Williams against Leon Hall and Olivier Vernon, I'd put it all on our guys any day of the week.

Comment

• cuchulainn
              cuchulainn commented
              Editing a comment
              Good post and completely agree.

Originally posted by Aquaaiea View Post
            Ok I'll say it. We should have kept Taylor for insurance instead of a 7th round swap.
            I know Jamar sucked but that trade was downright degrading, they may as well of traded his ass for 3 stale doritos and an already chewed piece of gum!

Comment

• cuchulainn
              cuchulainn commented
              Editing a comment
              So you're saying we won the trade. Yippee!!

Gents I get it...Hall is old, but would have at least would have provided a veteran presence in a system he was with familiar with.

I am loving what the Giants have done this offseason for the D...that D on paper looks legit. Just something to think about.

As per our CB depth. I have never heard of this Chiwkai (don't remember his name) and we haven't heard anything about Eke - which I thought should have gotten the first shot at replacing Lippett.

Comment

It's not saying much but at least Chimdi Chekwa had 4 starts for the Raider and 51 games played. I think he hold down the fort for a short time while Howard gets better.you never know Chekwa under the right staff may blossom into at most average, or good enough for the short term.
              The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

Chekwa also had a leg injury today... hoping we can shake the injury bug and start the RS healthy - and stay that way...

Comment

I'm a little concerned about our pass rush helping the DBs. According to Eric Roddy, Andre Branch has established himself as one of our starting DEs, so it appears that Mario Williams and Cam Wake will be gunning for the other DE spot. No better face for that one. Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_inline_o8q5om6C2U1tcrq9x_1280.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	23330

Comment

I am feeling a growing sense of dread each day as I hear how our CBs are getting TORCHED. I can only imagine what will happen against Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Big Ben and Phillip Rivers...ugh. I feel ill now....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X