NFL ranks the D lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL ranks the D lines

. Miami Dolphins: Ndamukong Suh, Mario Williams, Cameron Wake, Earl Mitchell, Jordan Phillips

Can we start the backlash to the backlash to Suh's tenure in Miami? There still aren't many defensive tackles we'd take over the three-time first-team All-Pro. Still, there could be a big fall-off in performance after Suh.

This group of names would have been ranked No. 1 two seasons ago. Now no one knows if Williams still has the motor and the juice to be a top-level talent. Wake is one of the best pass rushers of his generation, but he's 34 years old and is coming off a torn Achilles tendon. His recent contract extension was a curious moment, the result of chronic salary-cap mismanagement in Miami.

Well where did our D-line rank? I would say we have top 10 D-line and we have pretty good depth too. Of course it all depends on how much left in the tank both Mario Williams and Cam Wake have.

Comment

We are 10, that's okay, we read too much of our own press last year, prefer the underdog role.
      Which lines will thrive in 2016? Gregg Rosenthal runs through his list of the top defensive lines in the NFL. Do the Rams, Bengals, Jets, or Giants wind up on top?

Comment

I don't mind the ranking. The trams ahead of them played well last season and have very respectable defenses. To my surprise the NFL Network was actually complementing the Dolphins and their defense last summer. Their fantasy experts were also recommending drafting them. They were unaware that they had an inept defensive coordinator with subpar linebackers and only one corner worthy of starting.

Comment

Miami's D-Line could even turn out to be #1 (highly unlikely), but it also rests on Miami's O-Line, which could turnout to be #32 (not so unlikely). In the end, wins vs loses is what matters. If the defense is really good, they will be have to drag around the offense for a decent win record.

Comment

• Phintim Menace
            Phintim Menace commented
            Editing a comment
            If we can't get average play out of an offensive line with more first rounders than the Cowboys line, we need to fire our line coach.

Originally posted by Tarpon Guide View Post
          Miami's D-Line could even turn out to be #1 (highly unlikely), but it also rests on Miami's O-Line, which could turnout to be #32 (not so unlikely). In the end, wins vs loses is what matters. If the defense is really good, they will be have to drag around the offense for a decent win record.
          I think the OL has a chance at being average - and average would be a welcome change after the past 4 seasons under Philbin.

As for the DL, we have a chance to be Top 5 overall against both the run and the pass. We were near the bottom of the league against the pass last season. Jordan Phillips is in year 2 and should get much more action than last season and Chris Jones is being over looked. Mitchell was bad last season, so Phillips or Jones should take playing time away from him and Andre Branch, while unlikely, could have a very surprising season. We're also stopping the LB experiment with Chris McCain, who is solely being used as a DE now. The guy I'm going to miss the most is Shelby. He was a very under rated grinder for us. Wish we'd kept him.

Looking forward to the preseason to see what these guys look like and how we'll be using Dion Jordan, provided he's with us.

Comment

• FinFan in KC
            FinFan in KC commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree about Shelby. Grinder is a good word for him. Not spectacular but steady and made plays.

• cuchulainn
            cuchulainn commented
            Editing a comment
            Completely agree on Shelby.

• Phintim Menace
            Phintim Menace commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree on Jones being overlooked and there is always the possibility that Dion Jordan makes an impact. We have plenty of depth, talent and potential. But they have to come together and play as a team, challenge and motivate each other.

I'd rank them #32 and tell them to prove differently each and every week. Shelby was a grinder but it got old that he fell for play action EVERY time, gave up containment and let the QB roll free around the corner. He was best as a spot pass rusher from the DT spot. Not a guy we should miss but we'll see.
          Last edited by kelbail2.2; 07-04-2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• phinfanfrom70s
            phinfanfrom70s commented
            Editing a comment
            kelbail, your right on the mark! tell them that the nfl is laughing at them and has them ranked at the bottom and challenge them to prove them wrong and oh,tell them not to trash talk until they prove where they really are!~

No accolades needed like the noname Defense. Just do it!! Agreed only record that matters is Win/Loss
          Last edited by AquaXI; 07-07-2016, 03:51 PM.
          The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

So far, Gase has been talking smack to the defense non-stop and challenging them to step up and prove themselves after last year's disastrous season in which we had the worst passing defense since the team was created in the 60s.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X