Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I Were The Fins GM I Would.................

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If I Were The Fins GM I Would.................

    If I were the Dolphins General Manager I would sign.............................Ryan Fitzpatrick and let Matt Moore go. I like Moore as a person and as player but he is not pushing Tannehill or anyone else for the starting job. He has been an official clipboard holder for many years now. The Dolphins need a solid backup quarterback who, if needed, can come off the bench and keep the team rolling while their starter heals up. There is nobody on the roster who can do that and there has NOT been a man on the roster who could do that for MANY years now. They handed the reins to an unproved Tannehill and he has yet to prove he is a starter after FOUR SEASONS.

    Pros -
    Competition......Let the best man win. If Tannehill can beat out Fitzpatrick then the Dolphins will officially have the best back up QB in the league. If Tannehill can't beat out the 33 year old quarterback then he wasn't the guy who "some people" believe him to be. NO, let's not just wait and see what he can do under Gase and his new offense, and his offensive line, and this years stadium changes, and all the other excuses that Tannehill Sympathizers keep making for him. Bring in some COMPETITION, even at the price he is probably asking.

    Solid Backup Quarterback .........Whomever wins the starting job, the Dolphins will have a really good backup quarterback.

    Experience ...........Fitzpatrick is experienced. He threw 31 touchdowns last season as a starter. In my opinion he has finally coming into his own and with the right receiving corps, like the one in Miami, his numbers would improve.

    Plan B ..........If Tannehill can't beat out Fitzpatrick then it's time to move on from him completely. The Dolphins should be looking to draft a QB next year and they can ease him in if Fitzpatrick is playing well and the rookie can learn from a smart QB that can teach him the ropes.

    Money - The money involved to land Fitzpatrick is both a Pro and a Con. He will be demanding middle-tier money, which could be close to 10 million, but it could be a little higher, closer to 14 million. Andy Dalton's base salary is 10.5 million.

    Weakening The Jets Team.........No need for explanation

    Cons -

    Money - He will cost more than some would want to spend on a potential backup quarterback. However, I think he would be worth the risk because I feel he will beat out Tannehill for the stating job, at about HALF the price.



    I know nobody will agree with me, especially one poster in particular, but this is what I would do if I were hired as the GM today and forced to go into the season with Tannehill, who was given the starting job and has had little to no competition for that starting job, Hey, if Tannehill is who some of you think he is he should be able to beat out Fitzpatrick, right?

  • #2
    My only question is why do you think Fitz would sign with the phins? It's been made public by Woody himself that they offered Fitz a deal averaging just under $8 or $9 (can't remember which) million a year. He wants to be paid between the kind of cash that went to Bradford who signed for two years and $26 million and Cousins who signed his tender at almost $20 million. There is no way Fitz would turn down being a starter for a team that actually won games for $8 million a year to come be Tannehill's back up. And if I'm not mistaken Moore took a pay cut and is only on the books for 2 years $3.5 million. So while the idea is good, and he would certainly be a better back up and potentially push Tannehill it would cost us at least the $8 million he is holding out on from the Jets.

    Comment


    • #3
      PS - the moment you made that move I'd hire a plan to fly over Davie daily saying "Fire the Freak" lol...

      Comment


      • DolphinsFreak
        DolphinsFreak commented
        Editing a comment
        AHA!!............................IF you gave the idea a chance I don't think the plane would leave the ground. I really don't see how Tannehill would beat out Fitzpatrick. I think it would be Tannehill who would be riding the bench and next season the Dolphins would have a STARTING caliber QB for 8-9 million, and they could draft a quarterback in the early rounds to allow Fitz to groom while being his backup with Tannehill's cap hit off the books.

    • #4
      I'm good with Moore cause now we have a LIne that can hopefully protect RT and chances are the 2nd guy won't play. Does this mean RT wins outright. Let's just say I think he is at the least better than Fitzty. I think the Jets QB benefitted from good WRs.
      The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

      Comment


      • DolphinsFreak
        DolphinsFreak commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, the Miami Dolphins just happen to have some good receivers themselves. :-) They might not have big names like a Brandon Marshall, yet, but most of them will in due time, especially with the right quarterback. I am not trying to change your opinion, I am just pointing out the fact that although I think Marshall and Decker are a really good tandem, I think the Dolphins receiving corps is better. (So, Fitz should perform better in Miami then he did in NY since he benefits from having good receivers)

    • #5
      Brandon Doughty is the guy who will bear watching as someone to either push Tannehill next season or bump Moore off the roster.

      As for Fitzbeard, he came into his own a long time ago. He has been dumped by 6 teams in 12 years. Last season was the only season he's ''appeared'' decent, but his comp % was less than 60% and his YPA was 6.9. He had the 3rd ranked pass protecting OL, the 5th ranked WR corp, and the #10 rushing attack. He still completely choked at the end of the season, costing the jets a playoff berth with his 43% comp % and 3 INTs against the Bills. Fitz's numbers were inflated by his cast and even the stej know he's not taking them anywhere as a 34 y/o journeyman... no thanks.

      Smartest thing the Fins can do is continue to build around Tannehill and hope that he continues to improve - as he has done ever season - while grooming Doughty and continuing to look for a better option IF Tannehill finally proves to be holding team back. Regardless, this will be the first season Tannehill can be evaluated in isolation IMO given the dysfunction of Philbin's tenure. Hoping for the best for Tannehill and the team.

      Comment


      • #6
        If we didn't have Ryan then you have a strong case my friend.

        But the fact is that this entire year is being hyped around Ryan. Can he finally breakout and provide assurance of a large cap hit next year....

        Signing Fitz doesn't allow us to do that. Next year, if we decide to dump RT, then yes bring Fitz in...

        Comment


        • #7
          I pretty much agree with you guys here. This is RTs make or break year. However, I am not and never will be looking for him to carry this team like a Marino or Brady. I want to see a running game that ranks above average and a defense that ranks above average. I want to see a healthy OL all season gel together as the season progresses. IF I see all of this and we have more yards and first downs and time of possession and sacks and RT then throws a lot of INTs at critical times or misses open receivers in what should be game winning situations where he is actually holding the team back then I am ready to dump him before next year and move on. But I haven't seen us leading the league or anywhere near it in any category on either side of the ball except giving up QB sacks every year. These last 4 years, we were not a playoff caliber team or coaching staff unless we had a Marino, and we didn't.

          Comment


          • #8
            Originally posted by DolphinsFreak View Post
            If I were the Dolphins General Manager I would sign.............................Ryan Fitzpatrick and let Matt Moore go. I like Moore as a person and as player but he is not pushing Tannehill or anyone else for the starting job. He has been an official clipboard holder for many years now. The Dolphins need a solid backup quarterback who, if needed, can come off the bench and keep the team rolling while their starter heals up. There is nobody on the roster who can do that and there has NOT been a man on the roster who could do that for MANY years now. They handed the reins to an unproved Tannehill and he has yet to prove he is a starter after FOUR SEASONS.

            Pros -
            Competition......Let the best man win. If Tannehill can beat out Fitzpatrick then the Dolphins will officially have the best back up QB in the league. If Tannehill can't beat out the 33 year old quarterback then he wasn't the guy who "some people" believe him to be. NO, let's not just wait and see what he can do under Gase and his new offense, and his offensive line, and this years stadium changes, and all the other excuses that Tannehill Sympathizers keep making for him. Bring in some COMPETITION, even at the price he is probably asking.

            Solid Backup Quarterback .........Whomever wins the starting job, the Dolphins will have a really good backup quarterback.

            Experience ...........Fitzpatrick is experienced. He threw 31 touchdowns last season as a starter. In my opinion he has finally coming into his own and with the right receiving corps, like the one in Miami, his numbers would improve.

            Plan B ..........If Tannehill can't beat out Fitzpatrick then it's time to move on from him completely. The Dolphins should be looking to draft a QB next year and they can ease him in if Fitzpatrick is playing well and the rookie can learn from a smart QB that can teach him the ropes.

            Money - The money involved to land Fitzpatrick is both a Pro and a Con. He will be demanding middle-tier money, which could be close to 10 million, but it could be a little higher, closer to 14 million. Andy Dalton's base salary is 10.5 million.

            Weakening The Jets Team.........No need for explanation

            Cons -

            Money - He will cost more than some would want to spend on a potential backup quarterback. However, I think he would be worth the risk because I feel he will beat out Tannehill for the stating job, at about HALF the price.



            I know nobody will agree with me, especially one poster in particular, but this is what I would do if I were hired as the GM today and forced to go into the season with Tannehill, who was given the starting job and has had little to no competition for that starting job, Hey, if Tannehill is who some of you think he is he should be able to beat out Fitzpatrick, right?
            I at least agree we need to move on from Tannehill. Not going to "magically" be a HOF or Pro_bowl QB in year FIVE. He says all the right things. Studies hard, but when the bullets fly just can't get it done. But we are stuck with him like people with a 8 year auto loan. Already got picked by the rookie CB. So you know it's going to be along year

            Comment


            • #9
              I see your point, Freak but we all know this is a make or break year for Ryan. I'll hold out hope for the "great progression" according to some, the "great transformation" according to me. I can see better numbers but I don't know how you make a winner out of a guy that doesn't seem to possess any kind of awareness on the field. If I'm a GM, I'm forming a team of consultants to monitor the 2017 draft eligible QBs and keeping a keen eye on Iowa QB, CJ Beathard. If the Rams open the door to trading Case Keenum, I'd definitely want to talk.

              Comment


              • #10
                Statistically Speaking. Ryan Tannehill 9th passing yards, 8th completions, 8th attempts, 3rd most sacked. Lamar Miller 13th in yards, 8th in TDs. Leading Tackler Kelvin Sheppard tied for 33rd. Sacks Olivier Vernon tied for 27th. Interceptions Reshad Jones tied for 6th. Total offense 26th, total defense 25th. So basically this team can't run the ball, protect the QB, sack the opponent's QB or tackle. We are in the bottom in every category of the game EXCEPT QB play even though he hits the ground more often than any other QB in the NFL and gets no support from his running game or defense. Yet all we need to do is get rid of RT and put some stiff like Fitz back there and we are a playoff team? How about more realistically sliding further down in the passing categories allowing us to move down those last 6 spots on offense and 7 on defense to finish dead last in the NFL on offense and defense.

                Comment


                • #11
                  Originally posted by Phintim Menace View Post
                  Statistically Speaking. Ryan Tannehill 9th passing yards, 8th completions, 8th attempts, 3rd most sacked. Lamar Miller 13th in yards, 8th in TDs. Leading Tackler Kelvin Sheppard tied for 33rd. Sacks Olivier Vernon tied for 27th. Interceptions Reshad Jones tied for 6th. Total offense 26th, total defense 25th. So basically this team can't run the ball, protect the QB, sack the opponent's QB or tackle. We are in the bottom in every category of the game EXCEPT QB play even though he hits the ground more often than any other QB in the NFL and gets no support from his running game or defense. Yet all we need to do is get rid of RT and put some stiff like Fitz back there and we are a playoff team? How about more realistically sliding further down in the passing categories allowing us to move down those last 6 spots on offense and 7 on defense to finish dead last in the NFL on offense and defense.
                  We also posted a 6-1 record when Albert, Pouncey and James started and finished games together, which has been rarer and rarer the past 2 seasons.

                  People want to blame Tannehill for all losses even though in 2015, we had the 23rd ranked rushing game, the 2nd worst ranked OL, the 20th ranked scoring defense, and the 24th ranked special teams. All phases were in the bottom 3rd of the league.

                  Tannehill definitely needs to continue to improve his play, but he's far from the worst issues with this team. He can play like a Top 10 QB when the rest of the team is performing even at NFL averages.

                  Comment


                  • Phintim Menace
                    Phintim Menace commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's what I'm talking about! I don't believe RT will ever be a great QB. But of all the things this team needs QB, DL and WR are not it YET!

                  • cuchulainn
                    cuchulainn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree... don't see him ever being ''elite'', but being a Top 10 QB is well within his ability. I'm hoping the team can field a consistent OL and running game so that we can see what he's capable of without a clown show around him.

                • #12
                  Tannehill will NEVER take the Miami Dolphins to the playoffs. I hope that Gase figures this fact out sooner rather than later so we can move forward past The Jay Fiedler Debacle Part Duex.

                  Comment


                  • FinFan in KC
                    FinFan in KC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fiedler took us to the playoffs. Just sayin.

                  • DolphinsFreak
                    DolphinsFreak commented
                    Editing a comment
                    He did but Tannehill won't. Everyone uses Marino as an excuse. "Marino was a once in a lifetime player." I know many Dolphins fans and none of them are delusional enough to think the Dolphins will have a QB as talented as Dan Marino. What we do expect is to have a QB who can play like an NFL quarterback and not make high school mistakes. Hopefully Gase can help turn him into the QB that all of us are looking for.

                • #13
                  Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post
                  Brandon Doughty is the guy who will bear watching as someone to either push Tannehill next season or bump Moore off the roster.

                  As for Fitzbeard, he came into his own a long time ago. He has been dumped by 6 teams in 12 years. Last season was the only season he's ''appeared'' decent, but his comp % was less than 60% and his YPA was 6.9. He had the 3rd ranked pass protecting OL, the 5th ranked WR corp, and the #10 rushing attack. He still completely choked at the end of the season, costing the jets a playoff berth with his 43% comp % and 3 INTs against the Bills. Fitz's numbers were inflated by his cast and even the stej know he's not taking them anywhere as a 34 y/o journeyman... no thanks.

                  Smartest thing the Fins can do is continue to build around Tannehill and hope that he continues to improve - as he has done ever season - while grooming Doughty and continuing to look for a better option IF Tannehill finally proves to be holding team back. Regardless, this will be the first season Tannehill can be evaluated in isolation IMO given the dysfunction of Philbin's tenure. Hoping for the best for Tannehill and the team.
                  + a bajillion on ALL counts. I've been saying in the herald from the day after the draft that Doughty is the read deal. I've seen him play in person several times. No cooler customer will you find...other than on one occasion against I believe Mississippi St. Way more Accurate from 7-20 yards than Tannehill, and WINS.

                  As to Fitzpatrick, he bombed here in TN, and while he has the "gunslinger" mentality, he's no Favre, not by a long shot. He turns it over as much as Matt Moore.

                  Finally, this is the year Tannehill has no excuses. Aaron Rodgers has, in his career several really bad O-Lines, and got it done. I don't expect Rodgers-like #'s, but if, baring tragic injuries to the O-Line or receivers, should...make that MUST have 35TDs, 15 or less INTs, and 4000k plus yards. Or, as you said, you must go elsewhere with the job.

                  Comment


                  • #14
                    Originally posted by IMAWriter View Post
                    + a bajillion on ALL counts. I've been saying in the herald from the day after the draft that Doughty is the read deal. I've seen him play in person several times. No cooler customer will you find...other than on one occasion against I believe Mississippi St. Way more Accurate from 7-20 yards than Tannehill, and WINS.

                    As to Fitzpatrick, he bombed here in TN, and while he has the "gunslinger" mentality, he's no Favre, not by a long shot. He turns it over as much as Matt Moore.

                    Finally, this is the year Tannehill has no excuses. Aaron Rodgers has, in his career several really bad O-Lines, and got it done. I don't expect Rodgers-like #'s, but if, baring tragic injuries to the O-Line or receivers, should...make that MUST have 35TDs, 15 or less INTs, and 4000k plus yards. Or, as you said, you must go elsewhere with the job.
                    Hey Rob. Good to see you posting.

                    Doughty is an interesting prospect for sure. He and Goff were very close in a lot of categories, but Doughty played at a smaller school. He did show well against several ranked teams, including putting on a passing clinic in a monsoon in a hostile ''Death Valley'' stadium. Several scouts and draftniks wrote that if he'd had a better 40 time that he'd have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick at worse. Doughty had the lowest percentage of sacks relative to pressure of any QB in the draft at 9.6%, the lowest percentage of Ints or sacks relative to pressure 11.8%, while having the highest percentage of successful throws (completions + drops) relative to pressure in the draft at 54.9%. He also lead the draft class in deep passing with a relatively weak arm as he has excellent anticipation.

                    Tannehill not playing well on his own is pretty rare. He does need to continue to work on his timing, footwork, anticipation, and leadership, but given the dysfunction around him, he's been fairly consistent when the rest of the offense does their respective jobs. As I posted above, we have a 6-1 record when Albert, Pouncey and James started and finished games together. While we don't know how he'll turn out, it's far more likely he does really well this season as long as we have better than the 23rd ranked rushing game, the 32st ranked OL, the 20th ranked scoring defense, and the 24th ranked special teams.

                    I don't think Rodgers or Brady took their teams anywhere when their protection was as bad as Thill's has been, but would have to research it to see. I do remember Rodgers leading the league in sacks at one point before the Packers finally drafted him some protection.

                    As for the numbers, I'm rooting for 32 passing TDs +/- 2 and 3800 passing yards. I don't think Tannehill should be a 4K passer if we have the balance on offense I'm hoping for.

                    Really expecting good things from Ajayi and the other backs this season. Ajayi could end up as a Matt Forte type of back. Have to remember that he was the is the only player in FBS history to accumulate 1800 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving in a single season. That's very productive in either category for a back and he's very versatile with 10'' hands. His size to speed and ability to move people and gain yards after contact are impressive as well. Just hope he stays healty all season with that violent rushing style. I read that he's dropped weight to be lighter and faster.
                    Last edited by cuchulainn; 07-06-2016, 03:58 PM.

                    Comment


                    • FinFan in KC
                      FinFan in KC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice work Cuch. I love the "relative to pressure" stats. A great indication of poise in the pocket.

                    • cuchulainn
                      cuchulainn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, FFKC... and I agree. Dunno how Doughty will evolve, but he has the tools and he Marino's boy. He totally could be a sleeper for us and knock Moore off the roster next season.

                  • #15
                    While I'm not even imagining Matt Forte success. It would be nice if Ajayi turns out to be at least a version of say James Starks.
                    The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

                    Comment

                    Unconfigured Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X