Brandon Doughty!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon Doughty!!!

The poor man's version of Ryan Tannehill. Un-f**king- believable. That's the competition he brings in? Is Ryan Tannehill the protected son of Satan? What a joke. Are you kidding me? Really? I mean, come on man. lf Gase looked at a guy who locks on to one receiver, throws meaningless, dangerous short passes into traffic and somehow, if this is possible, is worse than Tannehill at letting a play develop, and said that's our guy, this team is doomed once again and this offense is going to continue to be the same as it was under Lazor. Let's watch once again as what appears to be a stellar group of receivers sputters out and disappoints. Hope these new guys are masters of the one yard slant. The first move that really has Gase's name on it is an F in my book. I really thought it was essential to bring in a guy with excellent pocket presence and the ability to move, buy time and find guys downfield. Now I realize that Tannehill must be his dream come true. Sick to my stomach. At least now we realize that all this time IT'S BEEN THE RECEIVERS
    FAULT !!! "They say our love won't pay the rent. Before we know our money's always spent. Babe, I got you babe."
    Oh yeah, one more thing about Doughty. His voice. Not a commander. Just another soldier.

We're all very aware of your hatred for Tannehill but there was not one QB in this years draft that would have taken over for him. Having said that, the pick of Doughty was a wasted pick and just added to my overall dismay with this draft.
    While it takes two to have an argument, it only takes one to walk away.

Comment

Agreed! wasted pick fosure....That pick was for New York!

Comment

We could have used that pick for Scooby Do Be Do.

Comment

You don't like Doughty's voice? Really? I guess Manziel or Petty have fantastic voices. lol...

Posts like this is why we need a Rant Forum.

Comment

• London Fish & Chips
            London Fish & Chips commented
            Editing a comment
            Given where the Dolphins have finished the last couple years, everything is a rant forum.....

Honestly, the knock here wasn't supposed to be aimed at Tannehill as much as my disappointment in Gase's vision of this offense. The selection of K Drake is another indicator. I do believe the O line is going to be significantly better than last year. I do still believe Tannehill has the skills to kill defenses downfield. But apparently, judging by the Doughty pick, we are going to continue to 3-5 step drop, stop, pop. Tannehill's in QB Hell and we're all there with him. I'm not saying any guy would beat Tannehill out. He's definitely resilient. But if a guy was brought in and possessed and displayed some of the qualities each day in practice that Tannehill lacks, it would naturally rub off on a smart guy like Ryan and force him to up his game. Lazor's scheme negated Matt Moore's natural mobility and left him with nothing. Tannehill's's getting short-changed, the receivers are getting short-changed and we're getting short-changed. I think Vernon Adams Jr. would have been Ryan Tannehill's best coach on the field if we brought him in. Can't argue with the Manziel jab, actually more like an overhand right with the way he's been carrying on. Just so ...frustrated. It's like having a vision of Mike Tyson at training camp for a fight with Lennox Lewis and his trainer is yelling jab, jab, more jabs. We're going to beat him with jabs.

Comment

• Dolfan1
            Dolfan1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Doughty supposedly has a Chad Pennington type noodle arm but is supposed to be one of the most accurate QB's in this years draft. Perhaps his accuracy will wear off on RT.

• Alpha
            Alpha commented
            Editing a comment
            In the video I watched he did consistently hit the LBs in stride....

• DolphinsFreak
            DolphinsFreak commented
            Editing a comment
            There is always a problem when trying to gauge a quarterback by his alleged accuracy because there are certain things that need to be considered. Tannehill has a high accuracy rate for a mediocre QB but when you study game tape on him you notice that he consistently throws to the wrong receiver. Most of his passes are short yardage passes that are easier to compete. The Dink and Dunk QB's usually have higher completion ratings but that doesn't make them good QB's.

I made the exact same comparison with Tannehill and Doughty yesterday. I watched film on him and he reminded me so much of Tannehill, with the similar style of play and mistakes at forcing the ball into traffic, throwing well short of the first down marker to covered receivers and locking in to his primary receiver on every play.

But, I am not worried about the pick. It bothers me that they wasted the puck on a Tannehill clone but I don't think he will even make the team so I don't think we have to worry about Doughty ruining the future of the Dolphins. IF Tannehill doesn't turn that corner this season, after everything this franchise has done to pamper him, I expect the Dolphins will be drafting EARLY next season and drafting a quarterback.

Comment

Originally posted by DolphinsFreak View Post
            I made the exact same comparison with Tannehill and Doughty yesterday. I watched film on him and he reminded me so much of Tannehill, with the similar style of play and mistakes at forcing the ball into traffic, throwing well short of the first down marker to covered receivers and locking in to his primary receiver on every play.

But, I am not worried about the pick. It bothers me that they wasted the puck on a Tannehill clone but I don't think he will even make the team so I don't think we have to worry about Doughty ruining the future of the Dolphins. IF Tannehill doesn't turn that corner this season, after everything this franchise has done to pamper him, I expect the Dolphins will be drafting EARLY next season and drafting a quarterback.
            See that's the problem I DO have with this pick. You're 100% correct that he probably won't make the team but had we Taken Scooby, I'd bet the ranch he would have made the final 53.

Comment

• DolphinsFreak
              DolphinsFreak commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, to ignore Alexander and Scooby in the last round really bothered me. I felt both would make the team and the two players they did draft I don't think will make the team.

• Alpha
              Alpha commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes......THAT.

I hate almost everything about this entire draft. It's possible that none of these guys will ever actually play a down. It was a complete disaster.
            Can we sign this guy?

Comment

• Alpha
              Alpha commented
              Editing a comment
              I think we can be confident Tunsil will (provided he doesn't end up suspended).

• FinFan in KC
              FinFan in KC commented
              Editing a comment
              If he can stay clean. That's the question. And he then had two more incidents within hours of being drafted. Seems like a lot. I hope he can stay out of trouble.

Pats got the best Day 2 QB IMO when they took Jacoby Brissett. He's who I was hoping to draft. Vernon Adams mechanics are garbage and he has a poor base. He was productive at the college level, but he's too much of a project for the NFL.

As for Doughty, a lot of actually drafting him was a bone for the local fans, but still he could end up beating out Dysert or Logan Thomas and eventually maybe replacing Matt Moore if he picks up the offense fast enough. Doughty is a local kid, a Dolphin's fan his whole life, and was very productive in college.

Athletically, Doughty is probably below average given his age and the knee issues. He blew his knee out several years ago and does not have a strong arm. He's a short dropback QB best suited for timing offenses or like the spread offense he ran in WKU.

From an arm perspective, Doughty's strength is about what Chad Pennington's was and he has above average QB smarts. This is also where the Penny comparisons are stemming. He does have really good mechanics, but he has to put his whole body into out routes. He is one of the best in this class at the 3 step drop and out of the shotgun.

Watch him throw. He has good footwork and establishes a stable base. Like a boxer, he is light on his toes and he has a good throwing motion that puts a clean spin on the ball. He kills it within 15 yards over the middle on crossing routes, digs, and hooks. His presnap decisions are solid and he has good vision, which is very important for a QB with limited arm strength. He has very good touch as well, and can make the back shoulder and bucket passes. He's not going to throw bombs though, but is ideal for a Chip Kelly/WCO type offense where the goal is to get the ball out fast, into the hands of the receiver, and allowing them to make YAC.

There's no way he would have thrived behind our OL the past few seasons though as he does not handle immediate pressure, and cannot rollout effectively. Conversely, if you watch his combine tape, he was better than Jared Goff at side routes and spun it well on go routes.

Smart kid though and also like Penny, will probably end up a coach. Personally, I hope he knocks Thomas and Dysert off the roster. We'll see...

Comment

• Idahomer
              Idahomer commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm an EWU alumni and Vernon Adams is a good little player, but has no chance of succeeding in the NFL. He throws to spots on the field because his arm isn't strong enough to wait until a guy is open, and he's too short to see over the line of scrimmage. He has tons of balls batted down because of his size. The NFL is too fast for him. He also pulls the ball down and scrambles a lot because again he struggles to see the field. He is not anywhere as athletic or elusive as Wilson is. I love Vernon Adams (except that he bailed on my Eags to be a fucking duck last season), but he is not an NFL QB. In fact I think Pat White had a better shot and we know how that turned out.

• cuchulainn
              cuchulainn commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree on Adams... he had a nice college career, but during the Combine and pro-day events and QB camps, he was really out of his league and it showed.

Originally posted by FinFan in KC View Post
            I hate almost everything about this entire draft. It's possible that none of these guys will ever actually play a down. It was a complete disaster.

C'mon man. lol...

I don't think we watched the same draft then. Barring injury, I see 4 day 1 starters in Tunsil, Howard, Drake, and Carroo. And I hate the Drake pick, but he'll be in the rotation behind Ajayi for 3-7 touches a game.

Comment

• Alpha
              Alpha commented
              Editing a comment
              I see 2 day one starters (Tunsil obviously and Howard out of total necessity - we don't have squat else out on the border). I don't see Drake as becoming a starter - though I would love it if that happens. I think he'll be in about a 1-3 rotation with Ajayi and add a few hundred yards rushing and receiving over the season. Carroo has a shot, but penciling him in at this point shows a real disrespect to Stills (who can play) and Hazel (who has really flashed ability when given a chance). If he starts that's great - but he has to earn that.

• cuchulainn
              cuchulainn commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, proly should have said contributors or 3 Day 1 starters as Drake will be a rotational/situational type back. Ajayi will probably get 60%+ of the touches, Drake 25% and Williams and Thomas another 15%.

Gase ran the ball almost 38% of time when calling plays, so these boys will get some work.

I like Stills and think there'll be a place for him, but he's a lightweight/speedster who gets dinged a lot by jumping up so much and taking hits when he doesn't have too. Much better than Wallace, but he's not an every pass play kind of WR IMO.

Found this breaking down QBs in this Draft. Doughty is surprisingly better than expected... http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/4...ft-qb-analysis

Also, Doughty gave an interview a day or so ago and said that he grew up a friend of one of Marino's kids and used to throw the ball with Danny. When he was drafted, Danny and Gase were both on the call and he said both told him they were shocked he hadn't been drafted already.

PFF does not do a full review of Doughty, but they had some good things to say about him beyond the fact that he was the second most accurate of the 22 draft eligible QBs in 2015 (he was also similarly accurate in 2014).
            Another impressive number for Doughty: he was sacked only 9.6 percent of his pressured dropbacks, best in the class
            Of course Doughty played at WKU so while he was technically playing against FBS competition, the Sun Belt conference is a big step down from the Power 5.
            Although Doughty was facing subpar talent and pressure overall playing for BFEU, he is 1.80 above normal for this draft class facing pressure. Facing pressure, he is doing what you're supposed to and getting the ball out of your hands and hit the hot receivers underneath or in the flats, but also down field. Doughty struggles to reset his feet at times though when the pocket starts to break down. Like Tannehill, he puts the ball right on an open receiver. Doughty did this 55+ % of the time he was pressured, and only took a negative result on 12% of his pressures. Those stats were the best in THIS entire class of QBs.

Rethinking this drafting... I thought they were throwing the kid a bone as he was local, put up some gaudy College stats, showed some limited promise, and knew Marino. Instead, Doughty, may actually have some real talent. I hope so. Would love to see him go from a 7th round pick, to being a legitimate starting quality talent and possible challenger for Tannehill - or at the worse, be able to push Matt Moore off the roster. The comparisons to Penny are legit though. He does not have a rocket arm. But them neither did Penny nor Montana, but they thrived in an offense that was tweaked for them.

Comment

Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post
              Found this breaking down QBs in this Draft. Doughty is surprisingly better than expected... http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/4...ft-qb-analysis

Also, Doughty gave an interview a day or so ago and said that he grew up a friend of one of Marino's kids and used to throw the ball with Danny. When he was drafted, Danny and Gase were both on the call and he said both told him they were shocked he hadn't been drafted already.

Although Doughty was facing subpar talent and pressure overall playing for BFEU, he is 1.80 above normal for this draft class facing pressure. Facing pressure, he is doing what you're supposed to and getting the ball out of your hands and hit the hot receivers underneath or in the flats, but also down field. Doughty struggles to reset his feet at times though when the pocket starts to break down. Like Tannehill, he puts the ball right on an open receiver. Doughty did this 55+ % of the time he was pressured, and only took a negative result on 12% of his pressures. Those stats were the best in THIS entire class of QBs.

Rethinking this drafting... I thought they were throwing the kid a bone as he was local, put up some gaudy College stats, showed some limited promise, and knew Marino. Instead, Doughty, may actually have some real talent. I hope so. Would love to see him go from a 7th round pick, to being a legitimate starting quality talent and possible challenger for Tannehill - or at the worse, be able to push Matt Moore off the roster. The comparisons to Penny are legit though. He does not have a rocket arm. But them neither did Penny nor Montana, but they thrived in an offense that was tweaked for them.

Also if by chance he can take over the #2 spot by next year then they don't have to pay Matt Moore $2.1m in 2017

Comment

Originally posted by ONOle1 View Post

Also if by chance he can take over the #2 spot by next year then they don't have to pay Matt Moore $2.1m in 2017

Yes. Was very surprised they brought Moore to begin with. He certainly isn't worth the $2.1M based on what we've gotten from him the past 4 seasons as a clipboard and tablet holder and we haven't had the talent to do anything anyway regardless of who the QB was. Was hoping to pick up a couple QBs, including Brissett. Pissed that the Pats took him.

Comment

He signed! We got em. He is now the property of the Dolphins.
                  The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X