Draft Feelings After Day Two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Feelings After Day Two?

Yesterday I thought the Miami Dolphins FINALLY got a lucky break. I couldn't believe that the best player in the draft fell to them at the #13 draft slot.

After watching what the Dokphins front office did today, in the second and third rounds, I am starting to second guess my feelings about yesterday and "possibly" drafting the best player.

There were more then a few teams that really needed a left tackle. There were about four teams that could have drafted Tunsil because they have a need at that position and because he was touted as one of the best players in the draft. Those teams decided he was NOT worth the risk. Were they correct about him? Could the Dolphins have made a huge mistake?

After watching the front office consistently REACH for players, giving up picks to do so, I am having doubts about their entire draft now.

Tunsil gets busted smoking weed on camera with a gas mask bong. There are allegations that he took money to play college ball. And, there is a lawsuit pending against him for assault charges against his father-in-law.

Then, the next thing the Dolphins do is give up a 4th round pick for a player that would have definitely been there when they were on the board. They did this with several more talented players still on the board at multiple positions if need, including cornerback. Noah Spence, Reggie Ragland, Derick Henry, MacKensie Alexander, Su'a Cravens, Cody Whitehair, etc. The move made no sense to move up and give e up a pick for a lesser talented player. Keep an eye on the players listed above this year, they will be ballers.

Kenyan Drake? Are you kidding me? He is good for 10 touches a game! A complete waste of a draft pick. Dixon, Proise, Fuller and Vigil would have ALL been better picks.

Another Wide Receiver? Honestly? He's the next Boldin or Steve Smith, right? When it's 4th and 12 and Tannehill throws him a three yard pass with a defender draped all over him we will see how tough he is.
    Arrested and charged with simple assault under domestic violence this past fall, suspended from Rutgers program indefinitely at the time.

Even with yesterday's draft I would give the Dolphins a D - grade

I have to agree. Yesterdays effort (Tunsil, Alonso and Maxwell for our 1st round pick) was A+ material in my eyes. Today's drunken monkeys throwing darts at a board effort pulled it down to a D. It not only wrecked this years draft, but severely hurt next years as well. Pathetic.

Comment

On offense we added a better Receiver than Kenny Stills and some lightning in Kenyan Drake. Our versions of Anquan Boldin and Percy Harvin. Adding Tunsil could be really dynamic if the brass has the stones to tell Albert he's moving inside. The Drake pick over Kenneth Dixon tells me that Gase is going with Ajayi as the workhorse in the backfield. Did not like that decision but I'll give Ajayi the opportunity to prove otherwise. If we could solidify that RG spot, the only hole left to fill is Quarterback. Vernon Adam is a Quarterback with a lot of talent, desire and MAKES THINGS HAPPEN. It's about time to take off the training wheels and let someone really challenge Tannehill. Adams may be there with our first pick in the 7th. What could it hurt?
      On defense, the addition of Howard is very solid; great technique, snaps his head around and finds the ball, high points it and catches it. Huge hole at Middle Linebacker still. Not just the playmaker but the defensive gravitational force, the glue thats holds the unit together. Not a real in your face tough guy among our entire group of LBs. It's a shame watching when an offense starts punching holes in our defense and there's not that one guy out there imposing his will on his teammates to regroup, focus, be tough, not back down one inch and give 'em Hell. I'm not confident at FS. Need Fede and McCain to step up big-time at DEs. Can we trade up again and get Scooby Wright? Now there's a man that can impose his will. I see this defense as selfish and soft. Jones is a beast but it looks like he's going to be a guy that always worries about what he doesn't have and isn't getting. Suh is a monster but he's in his own world. We need the guy in the middle that demands greatness, that demands toughness and continuously pushes and pulls everyone together into one fighting force. I haven't seen a glimpse of that man if he is hiding somewhere on our roster. I don't see great improvement in the unit as a whole until he appears.

Comment

I agree DF. After we supposedly got a steal on Thursday night with Tunsil slipping to us we could not have handled Friday night any worse than what we did. It got off to a bad start with us trading up needlessly for Xavien Howard and it only got worse by reaching for Kenyan Drake when better backs and better players at other positions were available then giving up our 6th and next years 3rd and 4th for a WR I never even heard of. Now the only pick we have of consequence today is our 5th rounder. We totally botched last night.

Why not do this? Stay put at #42 if we really wanted Howard, if he was somehow gone then look to trade down. The Bears were trading down all over the place last night so don't tell me we couldn't have done it. We could have taken DB Mackenzine Alexander or OG Cody Whitehair both of whom are better players than Howard and we still would have maintained our 4th round pick and if we traded down we would have an extra draft pick. Then at #73 I was stunned that we took Kenyan Drake. That was a joke. Drake was plagued by injuries in college and he is not a feature back. You need 2 feature backs in case of injury. We don't even know if Ajayi is a feature back. Why not take Procise or Dixon who are better than Drake or trade down and get back a 4th or 5th round pick since we foolishly traded it away earlier in the night. I would have actually preferred us taking Connor Cook with this pick instead of Kenyan Drake. At least there would be a potential for a lot more upside with Cook than with Drake.

Then the final move of the night which was even worse than the previous 2 moves. We traded away our 6th this year and 3rd and 4th next year for a WR I never even heard of. If we really wanted a WR I am sure we could have taken a comparable WR today without having to give up future draft picks.

I am just stunned at our ineptitude last night but really I don't know why I should be. My grade for last night is an F.

Comment

Day two was actually more in line with what I thought our brain trust would do leading up to the draft. If Tunsil had not fallin to us in the 1st I'm sure they would have fuck round one up too.

Comment

Most of my feelings begin with a D. Disgust, Dismay, Depression, DAMN.

Comment

WOW....guys fan can never be pleased...LOL

Tunsil, was rated by most as the top player in this draft and Miami got him at 13. They got him at #13 gang. The guy is one of on;y a few players in this draft that coming out of college have an elite skill set. Was there a risk? Sure, but I think that risk is being completely overblown. He took a bong hit 2 years ago as a what 19 years old...seriously.(he has NEVER failed a drug test). He took $300 from an assistant coach to pay his mom's electric bill so her power was not turned off...Come on, the university is making millions off these kids and some of their parents can't even pay the light bill. Oh yeah, he beat the shit out of his step dad...why not mention it was because his step dad beat his mom...the bastard is lucky he didn't kill him...come on, let's not blow this out of proportion. I am more worried that he hasn't played a complete season than I am about the other BS.

They wanted to move up to draft Jack, but the price was too high. Would everyone be bitching if they did that? I doubt it. They (and specifically Joseph) had Howard rated extremely high. He like bigger more physical CB's which is what Howard is. The kid has had 9 picks and 23 pass deflections in the last two years. He knows how to get his hands on the ball. Most people I have heard or read actually compare him to Maxwell...might say something about the pick.

I like the Drake pick. He is a home run hitter that can run between the tackles at times. I am concerned about his injury history, but I have had Drake pegged for a while. I would have loved to seen him in the 4th or 5th, but he wasn't lasting that long. The guy is an excellent receiver and I expect him to return kicks as well. He actually reminds me a lot of Miller when he came out of college but with better hands.

As far as Carroo goes, the comparison to Boldin is pretty accurate. He had two drops last year and if not mistaken lead the nation in least passes dropped. Sound familiar? Parker and Landry did the same thing (or close to the top) the years Miami drafted them as well. If that ball hits Carroo's hands he's gonna catch it and like Landry he will go over the middle with no fear. The comparison to Boldin and Smith are in his attitude for the ball. He plays with the attitude is the ball is mine and I'm gonna take it. Not sure this was a need, but I think it's a pick fan will like when he's on the field.

Sorry gang, not seeing the doom and gloom. I think they drafted four very good players that will contribute and or start right away. I am fine with quality over quantity.

Comment

• cuchulainn
                cuchulainn commented
                Editing a comment
                Good post and largely agree. My only issue was the compensation given up for Drake and Caroo. Just hope they are solid picks and worth what we gave up.

• ONole1
                ONole1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Rumor is the Pats loved and wanted Carroo. I am telling you this kid is going to make the fans love him quickly. I do think they panicked a bit at RB but I do like Drake, just would have liked him better in the 4th or 5th.

• Dolfan1
                Dolfan1 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have no problem with the guys we took, just in how we took them. We moved up for a corner we didn't have to move up for, we moved up for a RB who has a history of breaking bones when there were other RB's available and then MULTIPLE picks for a WR??? Really??? I'm just not impressed with the cost of the 4 guys we got.

No regrets over Tunsil, or the other guys they selected, just the way we went about accumulating them.

My issues were that Grier panicked at the start of the 2nd when all the better DE's were gone and assumed there'd be a run on CBs and knew that Chicago was interested in Howard, who was the guy they wanted most at that point. Giving up that 4th was a bad move when Sean Davis was still there and still in the mold of what Joseph wanted.

In the 2nd, they could have stayed @42 and taken either Howard or Davis and retained their 4th. Kenyan Drake would have been there in the 4th IMO and if they were so high on Caroo, they could have taken him in the 3rd.

No idea if we'll find our missing MLB prospect today or not, but damned sure hope so.

Hoping Gase and Joseph are as good as advertised...

Comment

• gulfcoast74
                gulfcoast74 commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a lot of hope to put in a hopeless team.

• cuchulainn
                cuchulainn commented
                Editing a comment
                Team under achieved badly last year in all phases. A lot of that was with Albert and James missing games and the defense having no solid CBs. We've addressed those and changed the OL schemes... we'll see.

• gulfcoast74
                gulfcoast74 commented
                Editing a comment
                My grip is our pathetic defense and LB situation is not any better at this point. Do love the Tunsil pick though.

I'd also say no matter what the FO and the staff seem to be working together. Tunsil was absolutely the BPA. Howard has Joseph's name all over him as he likes big, physical press corners. Drake is all about Gase. Gase loves receivers that catch the ball out of the backfield. As I mentioned in another thread Carroo is all about surrounding Tannehill with talent. This kid has the skills to be another Boldin. I expect to see the starting WR's as Landry, Parker and Carroo day 1.

I know many have said there is no vision with this draft, but I see it completely different and it seems we have a staff that has ONE vision and working together to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by ONOle1 View Post
                I'd also say no matter what the FO and the staff seem to be working together. Tunsil was absolutely the BPA. Howard has Joseph's name all over him as he likes big, physical press corners. Drake is all about Gase. Gase loves receivers that catch the ball out of the backfield. As I mentioned in another thread Carroo is all about surrounding Tannehill with talent. This kid has the skills to be another Boldin. I expect to see the starting WR's as Landry, Parker and Carroo day 1.

I know many have said there is no vision with this draft, but I see it completely different and it seems we have a staff that has ONE vision and working together to get it.

Yes, and again, it's NOT the picks, it's the comp given up for that that's the rub.

If Caroo turns out to actually be another Boldin, then he was worth it. Would love to see him starting on the outside day 1. If he's that good, it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

• Dolfan1
                  Dolfan1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly, the cost of these picks is killing me and I would have preferred if they had addressed another need instead of a luxury pick WR. JMHO.

• DolphinsFreak
                  DolphinsFreak commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We WERE all getting excited that the front office was FINALLY handling the offseason differently. They were going to hoard compensatory picks like the Patriots and other winning teams do. It took ami ute, but we all seemed to be on the same page and agreed that changing to that mindset as opposed to what they've been doing for decades, just giving away picks, was the best thing to do for the FUTURE of the Miami Dolphins organization. Well, in just a few short hours the front office pissed away all those hopes and dreams and did so for players that would have been there without giving up picks. There are some that may argue that these players might have been gone but they can argue amongst themselves because that simply isn't true. It was ammature hour last night and the new coaching staff proved that they were the rookie GM's who panic and make foolish moves to get players on their board.

I'm happy with what we did. Sure we jumped early and missed on one more guy, maybe in the 5th a linebacker may drop to us.
                The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

Well the euphoria from day 1 came and went for sure. Here are my thoughts:

- Untill i get the memo, i still dont trust the Dolphins to work the draft well. LT fell into their laps...no shrewd manuevers required. Not a criticism, just a fact. Give them their due for pulling the trigger when 10 other teams did not, but those 10 also got some good players picking up there. A new regime made 2 questionable trades and to say we went "quality" over quantity may be an adequate summary of what happened, i am not sure that is what we got. I cant quite sit here today and call Howard and Leonte quality picks when compared to other players available, equally available in either trade.

- i like the Howard selection, not the pick as noted. Cb is one of the hardest positions to translate to the Pros. Howard fits all my Criteria and he was #1 or #2 in PBUs and INTs in the top 10 class of CBs this year. I hope he works out cause we need him to be a ballhawk big time. We must get playmakers.

- i think Drake makes sense if you believe that they should be giving the ball to Ajayi. I never undefstood why many were clamoring for a RB unless it was to complement that stud. Sure we could flirt with Elliott because he is a special talent, but i was not worried when Miller skipped town with Ajayi there. The man runs with maximum effort and now we drafted a shake and bake RB to catch passes out of the backfield, punts and KOs, all while making guys miss with 4.4 speed and happy feet. The clips i saw remind me of Dorsett or even a very poor mans Barry Sanders with the stop/start action. We shall see. As for me, i would not have picked ANY RB in the first 3 rounds but hey, a position of need for many and theres your guy.

- not buying the Caroopick on any level. As i started by saying, i just dont trust the Dolphins to pick hidden Gems so to trade some serious assets to move up for him just doesnt work for me.....even if he was Mother Theresa in character. Not a WR at that spot, with that trade, and i have to believe that just like RB some good ones that fit the Phins profile could have been taken at later rounds to fill out what i consider to be a very strong group of WRz......and it has been a loooooonnnnng time since we could say that. That said, picking up a youg Boldin doesnt suck but i would have rather kept the picks, picked up an LB or Guard, and bought a Boldin Fathead for the locker room.

Comment

Oh and one more point. Tunsil and Caroo blew everone's Draft Game picks.......if anyone has those guys on their list, i will wash your feet.

Comment

• DolphinsFreak
                      DolphinsFreak commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This year is one I wouldn't want to win that draft game. Who could have predicted they would trade away half s dozen picks for late round talent? Aha

๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ’ฉ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿค•๐Ÿ˜กโ˜„๐ŸŒช๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿ’ฅโšก๏ธ๐ŸŒ‹โ˜ 

Comment

I think everyone on this forum could have done a better job at drafting then Tannenbaum, Grier and Co.

There was a reason why Tannenbaum was fired from the Jets. All of Grier's experience has been with the DOLPHINS, who have been the worst team at drafting in the league. What skills could he have picked up to earn him the GM job?

If Tunsil didn't luckily fall into their laps I wonder just how ugly this draft would have been.

With the 13th overall pick in the 2016 draft the Miami Dolphins select Austin Johnson, defensive tackle, Penn State.

Comment

• cuchulainn
                        cuchulainn commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, Tunsil's tumble definitely changed our draft. No way we were going OL there in the first, then they panicked in the 2nd and gave up too much for Howard. ./sighs

Just hope these guys are all solid and our offense surpasses the 2014 season, which was the best we've had in a decade.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X