X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Buzz: Friday Notes, Dolphins draft nuggets

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...teside-wa.html

A six-pack of Dolphins notes:

• With Miami not likely to land free agent Josh Norman, cornerback remains a high priority, though we hear a few other players also intrigue the Dolphins with their first-round pick if they fall to their range at No. 13.

If the Dolphins rate a non-cornerback as the best player on their board when they're picking at No. 13, there's a belief they could still land a quality corner at 42 and/or 73, a prospect such as UM’s Artie Burns (if there at 42) or Baylor’s Xavien Howard or Virginia Tech's Kendall Fuller or Samford's James Bradberry, among others.

Drafting two corners is very much a possibility.

Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott’s visit here Tuesday went very well, he would welcome the Dolphins drafting him if he slips to 13, and Miami has strong interest, according to someone involved. He already has a lease on an apartment in Miami, though that has nothing to do with any possibility of him landing with the Dolphins.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins recently sent a contingent to Los Angeles to conduct a private workout with UCLA’s Myles Jack, the draft’s best linebacker. There’s Dolphins interest if he surprisingly slips out of the top 10.

• What about UF’s 5-10 Vernon Hargreaves, who could be the best corner available at 13? Though he cannot be ruled out if he’s the best player available, I do know this: There is some resistance to Hargreaves among some Dolphins scouting/front office people who believe he’s undersized and see him more as a nickel back. Miami’s preference is a big, physical boundary corner.

The Dolphins prefer bigger corners in general and are intrigued by Houston’s William Jackson and Ohio State’s Eli Apple, two 6-1 corners who visited. Jackson at No. 13 is certainly a possibility, but analysts disagree about whether Jackson is good value at 13. (Mel Kiper says he’s not.) Most pundits have Apple in the 20s or lower.

One Dolphins official said trading down from 13 for a corner would be a consideration, if there's not a player at 13 that Miami covets in that range and if it believes one of the tall corners would be available later in the first round.

• Besides Jack, Elliott and the corners, the Dolphins have closely studied a handful of first-round front-seven defenders, including Clemson defensive ends Kevin Dodd (visited, but 13 is higher than projected) and Shaq Lawson and linebackers Leonard Floyd (Georgia), Reggie Ragland (Alabama) and Darron Lee(the Ohio State product is Kiper’s choice for the Dolphins, but at 6-1, 232 pounds isn’t their ideal size preference).

Ragland told Sirius XM tonight that he made seven visits in the past two weeks, and the Dolphins, Bears and Saints have shown the most interest in him. And we've also been told the Dolphins like Ragland.

• As one of several fallback options, the Dolphins have discussed taking one of the top offensive tackles if one slips and moving him to guard, though 13 is high for a guard. Kiper said he would take Texas A&M guard/tackle Germain Ifedi (who visited Miami) in the first round. But 13 would seem too high.

• The Dolphins, looking for a skilled returner who could lessen Jarvis Landry’s workload on special teams, have been in touch with several. They summoned Texas Tech’s 5-6 Jakeem Grant to Davie this week; he had four kickoff returns for touchdowns in his career and a 26.2 average last season. At UCLA, they auditioned Devin Fuller (24.2 kickoff average last season), among others.

They’re open to finding competition for kicker Andrew Franks and dispatched special teams coachDarren Rizzi or other staffers to privately audition several, including Texas’ Nick Rose and Albright’sDaniel Sobolewski.

• One team official said the past coaching staff didn’t use tight end Jordan Cameron to his strengths and expects that to change… Dolphins conversations remain ongoing with free agent defensive end Jason Jones, with both sides interested.

So Norman is out. Sounds like Hargreaves is out as well as teams are leaking more info on his slight build and how they think he's already ''maxed out''.

I'd be shocked if we drafted 2 cornerbacks. We took 2 last draft in Bobby McCain and Tony Lippett. Teams don't give up on prospects after 1 season and the corners would have to be BPA and given positional weight. Lippett also fits the bigger mold ala Maxwell.

Elliott leasing an apt in Miami is questionable. There's no guarantee we'll draft him and even if it's a 2nd home if he gets drafted elsewhere; he's spending money he hasn't yet earned. He could just rent a condo for a couple months in the off-seasons and save cash.

Per the article, we WILL NOT be moving up for Jack, nor Hargreaves. Ramsey is out of range already.

I agree with Kiper on both Jackson, Apple and Dodd NOT being Top 15 talents. Same for Ragland, Lee, and Floyd IMO, though we could use a SLB to push or replace Misi.

Taking Germain Ifedi would have the pitchforks and torches, and airplane banners, out. He's also a low 20's guy.

Who's left? Lawson, Nkemdiche, Buckner (Hopefully), Elliott, and Conklin.
    Last edited by cuchulainn; 04-22-2016, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Lawson is the only one on your list that interests me at #13. With that said if he's gone I still go with one of the bigger CB's there whether it's too early or not. We don't have the luxury of not drafting a starter at #13. Right now IMO CB is the position that a rookie is most likely to earn a starting spot at with the exception of oline, and I don't see using a first round pick on oline this season. There are plenty of solid options in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Comment

Originally posted by Idahomer View Post
        Lawson is the only one on your list that interests me at #13. With that said if he's gone I still go with one of the bigger CB's there whether it's too early or not. We don't have the luxury of not drafting a starter at #13. Right now IMO CB is the position that a rookie is most likely to earn a starting spot at with the exception of oline, and I don't see using a first round pick on oline this season. There are plenty of solid options in the 2nd and 3rd round.

I'd be ecstatic of Buckner fell to us. I have him over Lawson. That said, if neither are there and I'm going to gamble on an instant impact player, I'm going with NKemdiche over a corner.

Outside of Ramsey, I don't see any of these DBs as special. I like Alexander a lot, but he's not what we're after I don't think. For what Joseph wants to do, we could get Burns, Howard, or Fuller in the 2nd.

Comment

• Idahomer
          Idahomer commented
          Editing a comment
          Is he a DT or DE?

• cuchulainn
          cuchulainn commented
          Editing a comment
          NKemdiche is mostly a DT, but he can play end. He's what we thought we were getting with Odrick and OV. He brings flexibility to the DL and would make Mitchell a camp cut. Explosive power and ability. Line him up next to Suh and you'll see them both have outstanding seasons and free our Ends up.

Nkemdiche in round 1 is a big time gamble but man is that an exciting one. I wouldn't be disappointed taking Nk in the first round but I'd be shocked.

Comment

• cuchulainn
          cuchulainn commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree on the gamble, but not so much on the shocking part. Nkemdiche is easily a Top 10 talent. It's his mouth and that hotel incident that cost him status. I'd rather have Buckner, but Nk is no slouch and could be as good as Suh if properly motivated.

• Driven_Phinsane!
          Driven_Phinsane! commented
          Editing a comment
          I would love to see what a line-up of Wake, Suh, Nkemdiche and Williams could do,, but I would worry like hell that Nkemdiche would turn into another Dion Jordan type gamble and bust..

• cuchulainn
          cuchulainn commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed. I don't see NK as the same as DJ. We won't be changing his position or asking him to put on 40lbs. He also loves the spotlight, something DJ shied away from.

As always though, all these guys are a risk on some level. But yeaH, That line-up would be killer.

For whatever reason (the Shula curse/) it seems the Dolphins are ALWAYS drafting out of position...I mean having to take players rated lower than their spot..in this case #13. At 8 they could have had a myriad of guaranteed starters (if there IS such a thing.). I actually like the trade down for Alonso and the DB, but WHY couldn't there have been more than 2 quality Corners in the top 15? Ot 2 top- quality RBs? Due tom injury, I think there is an outside chance Myles Jack may be there...and he is also a swell running back.

On another note, I read on the Herald that the Fin's FO has NO idea if Jordan even filed for reinstatement with the league!! Don't they speak with the agent, or the player himself? This is bush league. You invested a 1st round, 3rd pick, lost a 2nd, and that's how you run your business??
        Last edited by IMAWriter; 04-23-2016, 05:19 PM. Reason: Edits for typos

Comment

• AquaXI
          AquaXI commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes we are always in no mans land. They probably know more about Dion Jordan but keeping things on the low down.

Originally posted by IMAWriter View Post
        For whatever reason (the Shula curse/) it seems the Dolphins are ALWAYS drafting out of position...I mean having to take players rated lower than their spot..in this case #13. At 8 they could have had a myriad of guaranteed starters (if there IS such a thing.). I actually like the trade down for Alonso and the DB, but WHY couldn't there have been more than 2 quality Corners in the top 15? Ot 2 top- quality RBs? Due tom injury, I think there is an outside chance Myles Jack may be there...and he is also a swell running back.

On another note, I read on the Herald that the Fin's FO has NO idea if Jordan even filed for reinstatement with the league!! Don't they speak with the agent, or the player himself? This is bush league. You invested a 1st round, 3rd pick, lost a 2nd, and that's how you run your business??

Don't necessarily agree on drafting players lower rated than where we take them. Last draft was ALL ABOUT BPA and not need. Parker was taken lower than he was originally projected. As for #13, we're still getting a solid starter if our Scouting Dept are up to snuff.

As for the CBs, Hargreaves, Apple, Alexander, and Jackson all have 1st round talent. Two or more would probably be in the Top 15 if not for this class being so deep in pass rushers, DTs, and OTs. I have Ramsey, Hargreaves, and Alexander as TOP 15 talents. I'm iffy on Apple personally, not because of his size, speed, or ability, but due to his mentality.

2013 for NOT a good draft for a lot of teams. #1 Eric Fisher, #2 Luke Joeckel, and #3 Dion Jordan ALL have not lived up to their status. Best pick of the Top 5 in 2013 was #5 - Ezekiel Ansah. #6, Barkevious Mingo is now a backup LB. Cooper is ok. Austin is a good WR. #9 Dee Milliner has missed most of the past 2 seasons or been a backup. #10 Chance Warmack has been nothing special as an OG for the Titans.

Best picks of the Top 15 in 2013 have been Ansah and #13 Sheldon Richardson. It's all a crap shoot.

Separately, Dion Jordan is in the hands of the NFL. Teams aren't allowed too much contact with players once they've been banned. I'm sure the team knows more than they're letting on. I'm not banking on DJ being back, just hoping for the best. Top of the 2013 was terrible for a lot of teams,

Comment

Parker was injured. Did nothing for 13 games. Foot is a time bomb but love his talent. James was a reach, Dallas Thomas, and so many others....the Gator kicker...just strange selections.

Comment

Originally posted by IMAWriter View Post
            Parker was injured. Did nothing for 13 games. Foot is a time bomb but love his talent. James was a reach, Dallas Thomas, and so many others....the Gator kicker...just strange selections.
            13 games? Not sure where you're getting your info, but it's wrong. He missed 8 games. Parker was a camp phenom last year. The foot surgery was elective as the NFL doctors recommended it as a precaution as they weren't satisfied with the surgery he had his last season at Louisville and there was some build up of scar tissue they wanted to remove. Otherwise, he'd have played from day 1. As it was, he missed the opener against the Skins, but was active in game 2 against the Jags, where he had his first catch of his career.

After the 3rd game he had some discomfort and sat out the next 5 games. He returned in Nov and had his first TD ever against the jets in game 11. Hopefully, one of many in the future.

In total, Parker played in 8 games and finished the season with 26 catches, 3 TDs, and right at 500 yards receiving. He made some wow plays, especially against the Pats and Chargers.

James was a need pick. As for Dallas Thomas and others, they were mid to low round picks.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X