Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kiper - Fins draft Darron Lee

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kiper - Fins draft Darron Lee

    http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/20528/the-dolphins-go-linebacker-in-mel-kipers-latest-mock-draft
    Dolphins pick linebacker in Mel Kiper's latest mock draft


    What does Kiper have in store for the Dolphins, who hold the No. 13 overall pick? Let’s examine.

    Kiper’s pick: Ohio State linebackerDarron Lee

    Analysis: I do not agree with this pick.

    The Dolphins are pretty confident they filled out their group of starting linebackers after the addition of Kiko Alonso to go with 2015 starters Jelani Jenkins and Koa Misi. This team has several well-defined holes, such as cornerback and running back, and need to draft a surefire starter in the first round at No. 13 overall.

    Curiously, Kiper has Miami passing up Florida cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III. Hargreaves goes to theOakland Raiders with the next pick at No. 14, and I don’t see that scenario playing out. The Dolphins likely would be ecstatic if Hargreaves falls to No. 13. He’s a better fit and better player for Miami in that slot than Lee.

  • #2
    Poor man's Ryan Shazier...

    Comment


    • #3
      The only sure fire starter at 13 in my opinion is If one of the top 10 guys drop to us minus the QBs ( Buckner,Elliot,Hargreaves,Stanley ) or Conklin,Alexander. I like Apple more but Alexander is more ready. Apple will be a Future star.
      The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

      Comment


      • #4
        If Hargreaves is there at 13 and they pass on him, I for one will be pissed.
        While it takes two to have an argument, it only takes one to walk away.

        Comment


        • AquaXI
          AquaXI commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed! And I'm not even a Gators fan hehehe.

      • #5
        This is about the time of year where I ask the forum members if they could post Kiper's full mock draft so I can go toe-to-toe with him to see who gets the most picks correct per team, not draft position. Does anyone have Kiper's full mock draft??

        BTW - I would NOT be happy if the Dolphins selected Darren Lee over Hargreaves and some of the other talent that I am sure he had the Dolphins pass up.

        Comment


        • cuchulainn
          cuchulainn commented
          Editing a comment
          3 weeks to go... Not sure if Kiper and McShay have released their latest mocks or not...

        • DolphinsFreak
          DolphinsFreak commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks,, Cuch!!

      • #6
        I disagree with taking Darron Lee in the first round. I believe we should draft a LB just not that high. I would prefer Joshua Perry or Deion Jones in the 3rd round or Kentrell Brothers in the 4th round.

        If Hargreaves is somehow available to us he will definitely be the selection.

        Comment


        • cuchulainn
          cuchulainn commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree... I'm not a fan of Ragland or Lee either one in the first round. Would be happy with Brothers in the 2nd or Perry in the 3rd.

      • #7
        Taking Darron Lee @ 13 IMO would be ridiculous,, and i don't mean that in a good way!

        Comment


        • #8
          Originally posted by Driven_Phinsane! View Post
          Taking Darron Lee @ 13 IMO would be ridiculous,, and i don't mean that in a good way!

          Yeah, I don't see it... outside of Miles Jack, and a healthy Jaylon Smith, none of these other LBs are TOP 15 guys IMO. Lee is ok, but he is not a clone of Ryan Shazier and we already have several WLBs.

          https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...lb-ohio-state/
          Position fit:

          Weakside linebacker
          Stats to know:

          14th highest pass rushing grade off ball linebacker. 12 missed tackles on 72 attempts.
          What he does best:

          • Straight line speed of a safety
          • Lined up as a slot linebacker/safety hybrid and flashed coverage ability
          • Completely trusts his reads and breaks on ball
          • Pick-six against Northern Illinois was arguably one of the most impressive plays any linebacker made all year
          • One of best blitzers in the class. Has legitimate pass rushing moves to beat tackles off the edge

          Biggest concern:

          • Off-balance far too often when trying to change direction or break down in space
          • Tough to project against the run after rarely playing in the box
          • Undersized to play anything other than on the weakside at the moment
          • Exposed at times in coverage with little feel for zones

          Player style comparison:

          Kwon Alexander, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
          Bottom line:

          His 40 time might wow, but there are far too many aspects of Lee’s game that don’t project to the NFL level. His amount of impact plays didn’t match up with his physical skills.

          Comment


          • #9
            Emailed a buddy who is a college football junkie and asked his opinion on Ragland and Lee...

            His take:

            Personally, when I look at Reggie Ragland, I thnk he'd be a fine MIKE in another division. When I watch him, I don't see a guy who will be a good fit within the AFCE.

            Ask yourself this, ''Am I confident this guy can cover a TE like Gronkowski, let alone, can he even run with a TE like Gronk?''

            To a certain extent, you have to draft each season to beat the teams you play twice a year. The players to beat in the AFCE are Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, and maybe three or four players total from the Jets or Bills combined from a defensive standpoint, but none of them are as dangerous as what the Patriots field every season. Now Ragland is a good run stopper, but he's used to having a TOP Ranked Defensive Line in front him while at Alabama.

            I am not saying that Ragland is not a good player, or going to be a bust, but when you look at who he's going to be matched up against in the AFCE, he is not going to be able to excel against guys like Gronk, or even against a Martellus Bennett or Charles Clay. IMO, for what it's worth (not much) I see Reggie Ragland as a situational linebacker. Would you draft a kid at number 13 overall to be a two-down LB in the 1st round? Me neither.

            Now, as to Darron Lee. I agree that Lee is on the smaller size, but he's only 21 and still developing. His frame looks fine in my eyes, and he displays good core strength and plays MUCH bigger than his size. Don't forget he was the he Defensive MVP of the 2015 Sugar Bowl with seven tackles and two sacks. The kid can play. Very active kid with a higher ceiling than Ragland IMO. I'm not all too to worried about him weighing in the 230's for the time being. He reminds you of a Patrick Willis coming out of Ole Miss.

            At the worst, he's potentially an outstanding WILL. At his best, he matures into a carbon copy of the 6'1 240 lb Pat Willis. Lee has an identical build, he just needs to pack on 7 or 8 lbs in the next 2 seasons. Their frames and builds look similar to me. I think Lee just needs to fill his out more. If Lee can pack 5-7 lbs of muscle without losing that speed, look out.

            BTW, for what it's worth, you guys should have just drafted Kwon Alexander last year outside the second round and saved yourself the trouble. ;-)




            Side note: I wanted Ryan Shazier in 2014 and Kwon Alexander last year... He was just messing with me with that last sentence... lol...

            Hadn't really though of Lee in those terms, but yeah, there are some similarities there. Still I'd prefer a CB...


            Willis / Lee



            Comment


            • #10
              Great points by your friend. I read earlier today something I thought was interesting about Darron Lee.

              Ohio State OLB Darron Lee "can run with tight ends all day and even match up with wide receivers down the field when he walks out over the slot," writes ESPN's David Bowen.

              "That's a huge asset for any defensive coordinator to have at his disposal," Bowen wrote. "Coaches will put Lee in a position to use his body control and quick burst in space to limit intermediate cuts and close down those inside breaking routes." The 6-foot-2, 228-pound Lee had an insane Combine, posting a 4.47 40-yard dash, a 35.5-inch vertical jump and an 11-foot-1 broad jump

              Sounds like someone that IF drafted he might be drafted with a purpose, to beat the Patriots.

              Comment


              • cuchulainn
                cuchulainn commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, and it feels like a move we would make as well. It would just be odd to me to draft a 1st round LB after trading for Kiko as DB is still an issue. Still, Lee would give us a ton of versatility in our packages with both guys being able to play MIKE or WILL.

              • DolphinsFreak
                DolphinsFreak commented
                Editing a comment
                My opinion on this topic is that the Dolphins will more than likely go in another direction then what people are thinking, mainly the draftniks. It's a weird thing being a Dolphins fan, no matter who is in charge they seem to do the same things. In my first round mock draft I didn't have the Dolphins taking the player I wanted the most, I had them taking the player I felt would be on the board and was the best at a position that Tannenbaum would go in. That is why I have them drafting a Defensive End in the first round. My thinking is that Kiko Alonso will make them feel comfortable waiting on a linebacker and that Maxwell will do the same for the cornerback position. So, I think they will either draft a DE or a OT in round one. (Have two starting DE's in their 30's isn't something that most GM's feel comfortable with)

            • #11
              Ragland has 4.72 speed; Gronk went 4.65 at his Pro Day....not sure why Ragland cant run with Gronk, unless Gronk is cracking jokes and Ragland is laughing....

              Comment


              • Driven_Phinsane!
                Driven_Phinsane! commented
                Editing a comment
                Is this the real life?..Is this just fantasy, caught in a landslide no escape from reality...Kato bustin' out some Freddie Mercury!

              • cuchulainn
                cuchulainn commented
                Editing a comment
                Have to remember that Reggie Ragland dropped 12 lbs before the combine to get to that speed. He'll be bigger and slower during the season.

              • Kato
                Kato commented
                Editing a comment
                Or he will be lighter and faster cause he is reading this Forum and is hurt by your lack of faith........sorry Cuch my friend, have to have the last word here lol

                And DP, you get a cigar for picking up the Queen reference.....are we witty dudes or what!!?

            • #12
              When was the last time Mel got our pick right? I honestly can't see them drafting Lee if Lawson, Apple, Hargreaves, Mac are on the board at 13 unless we traded back. CB is too big a need and not real options other than Leon Hall still available in FA. As for LB's, I know they were high on Hewitt and Vigil. Also Jenkins had an off year, but showed a lot of promise last year. For that reason I think LB is a position they will address a little later in the draft.

              Comment


              • Dolfan1
                Dolfan1 commented
                Editing a comment
                In answer to your question, I think he got Pouncey right. Not sure after that.

              • DolphinsFreak
                DolphinsFreak commented
                Editing a comment
                That is why I am baffled this guy has a job. He is rarely correct. I can beat him almost every year, and so can anyone else who puts in a SMALL amount of homework. He may have gotten the Pouncey pick, possibly the Jake Long pick, but that is ALL he is good at doing, the top 4-5, after that he has NO CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!

              • cuchulainn
                cuchulainn commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree, Ida... I have LB down the list after the trade for Kiko and with Vigil and Hewitt in their second seasons. I'd love to draft Zach VIgil's brother, Nick, later this draft too. The ''Bruise Bros'' would be fun to watch.

            • #13
              Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post
              Emailed a buddy who is a college football junkie and asked his opinion on Ragland and Lee...

              His take:

              Personally, when I look at Reggie Ragland, I thnk he'd be a fine MIKE in another division. When I watch him, I don't see a guy who will be a good fit within the AFCE.

              Ask yourself this, ''Am I confident this guy can cover a TE like Gronkowski, let alone, can he even run with a TE like Gronk?''

              To a certain extent, you have to draft each season to beat the teams you play twice a year. The players to beat in the AFCE are Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, and maybe three or four players total from the Jets or Bills combined from a defensive standpoint, but none of them are as dangerous as what the Patriots field every season. Now Ragland is a good run stopper, but he's used to having a TOP Ranked Defensive Line in front him while at Alabama.

              I am not saying that Ragland is not a good player, or going to be a bust, but when you look at who he's going to be matched up against in the AFCE, he is not going to be able to excel against guys like Gronk, or even against a Martellus Bennett or Charles Clay. IMO, for what it's worth (not much) I see Reggie Ragland as a situational linebacker. Would you draft a kid at number 13 overall to be a two-down LB in the 1st round? Me neither.

              Now, as to Darron Lee. I agree that Lee is on the smaller size, but he's only 21 and still developing. His frame looks fine in my eyes, and he displays good core strength and plays MUCH bigger than his size. Don't forget he was the he Defensive MVP of the 2015 Sugar Bowl with seven tackles and two sacks. The kid can play. Very active kid with a higher ceiling than Ragland IMO. I'm not all too to worried about him weighing in the 230's for the time being. He reminds you of a Patrick Willis coming out of Ole Miss.

              At the worst, he's potentially an outstanding WILL. At his best, he matures into a carbon copy of the 6'1 240 lb Pat Willis. Lee has an identical build, he just needs to pack on 7 or 8 lbs in the next 2 seasons. Their frames and builds look similar to me. I think Lee just needs to fill his out more. If Lee can pack 5-7 lbs of muscle without losing that speed, look out.

              BTW, for what it's worth, you guys should have just drafted Kwon Alexander last year outside the second round and saved yourself the trouble. ;-)




              Side note: I wanted Ryan Shazier in 2014 and Kwon Alexander last year... He was just messing with me with that last sentence... lol...

              Hadn't really though of Lee in those terms, but yeah, there are some similarities there. Still I'd prefer a CB...

              Wow, excellent points by your bud,, give him my props...It's funny we were just talking in the other thread about the type of RB we should have; a guy built to play the teams in our own division twice a year..But we weren't thinking any further outside the box in regards to the other side of the ball, possibly grabbing a guy who could possibly shut down your Gronk's, Bennett's, Clay's etc...My only question is, can we get a money back guarantee do-over if we take Lee & he doesn't turn out to be a Patrick Willis clone? lol...Funny, i watched Willis for years thinking why couldn't we find a playmaking LB like that!,, and now your friend's telling us he's there for the taking..and i'm scared to pull that trigger...

              Definitely some food for thought to nosh on heading up to the draft..Still wouldn't be the popular choice nor am i convinced he'd be the right choice (It always scares me when there's a caveat like 'if he can pack on 10 pounds without losing any speed...') But i guess having read this, if Lee's name is called out on draft day, i won't be absolutely blindsided like the last time a Buckeye was drafted that high by us!!!...

              Comment


              • Idahomer
                Idahomer commented
                Editing a comment
                Lee is the anomaly of this draft at the LB position. No one was talking about him until the combine when he posted freakish type numbers. Then he shinned at the pro day as well. Some have him as the most over rated in the draft while others have him as under rated. I just don't know. Personally I like a guy like Regland better because his college body of work was outstanding and he played in the SEC with arguably the best athletes in college football trying to block him. Speed is no doubt important, but how you move in pads versus the 40 is a completely different animal. Angles, slipping blocks, etc.. make up for lack of speed. We definitely need a LB that can cover. Definitely would be a boom or bust pick. Personally I'd prefer a safe sure thing pick at #13.

              • Driven_Phinsane!
                Driven_Phinsane! commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed..I hate going with a strictly safe pick & being afraid of taking a chance (ala picks like Odrick, James etc. Solid players, just not anything special), it's like you get what you pay for; take zero risk get average return..but unfortunately it's kind of the corner we've backed ourselves into. We're not a good enough team to be able to afford to gamble & bust...

            • #14
              Originally posted by Driven_Phinsane! View Post


              Wow, excellent points by your bud,, give him my props...It's funny we were just talking in the other thread about the type of RB we should have; a guy built to play the teams in our own division twice a year..But we weren't thinking any further outside the box in regards to the other side of the ball, possibly grabbing a guy who could possibly shut down your Gronk's, Bennett's, Clay's etc...My only question is, can we get a money back guarantee do-over if we take Lee & he doesn't turn out to be a Patrick Willis clone? lol...Funny, i watched Willis for years thinking why couldn't we find a playmaking LB like that!,, and now your friend's telling us he's there for the taking..and i'm scared to pull that trigger...

              Definitely some food for thought to nosh on heading up to the draft..Still wouldn't be the popular choice nor am i convinced he'd be the right choice (It always scares me when there's a caveat like 'if he can pack on 10 pounds without losing any speed...') But i guess having read this, if Lee's name is called out on draft day, i won't be absolutely blindsided like the last time a Buckeye was drafted that high by us!!!...

              Yeah, I've posted some of his opinions before when we were on the other board. Ideally, he thinks we'd be nuts not to grab Nkemdiche in the 1st if he falls to us and he's higher on Apple than I am and has Apple as his alternative for us.

              I wasn't thinking in those terms either and Patrick Willis was no where in my mind. Lee isn't as strong as Willis was coming 17 bench reps to Willis' 21, but he's faster. If Lee was to put on that weight he very well could be a carbon copy even if his speed did drop a hundredth of a second. Really has me drooling at that possibility, but yeah, I'm apprehensive too about what if he isn't that good in the pros. He did say "reminds you of", and similar... lol...

              And bite your tongue. Lee was an orphan raised by a pack of hyenas and know's no mortal fear.

              Comment


              • Driven_Phinsane!
                Driven_Phinsane! commented
                Editing a comment
                We'd not only be drafting Lee but the whole Lee family...pack of hyena's that they are!...

            Unconfigured Ad Widget

            Collapse
            Working...
            X