My first 2016 Dolphin mock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first 2016 Dolphin mock

I think Miami will try and trade back in round one at this point. The meat of this draft are picks 15-60, so I would love to see them add another second round pick. If they can't do that I hope they can pick up another 3rd or 4th as they could fill some holes there as well.

Rd 1 - Eli Apple - CB, Ohio State, 6'1", 199lbs. He is arguably the best press corner in the draft and from the sound of things it looks like Miami is going to press a lot and attack on defense.

Rd 2 - Xavien Howard - CB, Baylor, 6'0", 201lbs. Yep, I have Miami doubling up. Like Apple Howard is physical and if Miami is going to play press zone, he is a good fit. Howard also has good man skills so versatile enough to play man and zone.

Rd 3 - Joshua Garnett - OG, Stanford, 6'5", 326lbs. Long arms, and gets good leverage. I'd like to see him became a better run blocker but an excellent pass blocker. He has very strong hands and quick off the snap.

Rd 4 - Scooby Wright - ILB, Arizona, 6'0", 246lbs. One of the non-stop motor type of guys. Very good sideline to sideline and good instinct (something Miami has missed at LB for a while). Sometimes he gets a bit too aggressive and gets himself out of position, but that can be taught (I hope).

Rd 5 - Kenyan Drake - RB, Alabama, 6'1", 210lbs. Drake was overshadowed at Bama, but is a versatile back that can run between the tackles, has the speed to get outside and has good hands coming out of the backfield. He has battled injuries which is a minus, but would be a good fit in Miami's backfield.

Rd 6 - Anthony Zettel - DE, Penn State, 6'4", 277lbs. Has talent but raw. He was moved all over the D Line at PSU, but should settle into a DE in the pros. He has a quick step and can beat the block. Developmental player, but has talent.

Rd 7 - Jacob Coker - QB, Alabama, 6'5", 244lbs. Big body with a good (not great) arm. He is a developmental QB that has the tools to become at worst a solid back up in the NFL.

I do like your 1/2 punch. I've always liked Ireland selecting Davis and Smith back to back. I think it's a strategy that is overlooked. Don't know if Garnett will last till the middle of 3rd though.
    The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

They could probably drop a few more slots and still get Apple... I mentioned Howard in another thread yesterday I think. He's a Maxwell clone who needs to refine his technique.

Really sold on Garnett, but I think he's a 2nd rounder. Can't see him being there in the 3rd.

All in all, this would be an outstanding draft if we could in fact nab these guys.

Comment

I like your mock. I think that the Dolphins can trade way back in the first round and still get Apple or William Jackson. By doing so they could get the player you want and then have an additional 2nd round pick, as you mentioned in your original thread. By picking up a 2nd rounder they could use that additional 2nd round pick on the best guard on the board and then in the 3rd round take the best player available.

Comment

I disagree with trading too far down for Apple. I would on travel to the 20th spot.
          The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

• DolphinsFreak
            DolphinsFreak commented
            Editing a comment
            As you already know, it's all about finding a trade partner. A team would really have to covet a player for them to give up a 2nd rounder for him. There aren't too many GM's dumb enough to give picks away like Ireland so trading back is hard to do and that is probably why Nole didn't bother doing a mock with a trade back scenario. It probably won't happen but it would be really cool if it did.

Well, we do need CBs, so why not.? I dont know much about this years CB class so i will take your word for it 'Nole. The thing i like is that we could have 3 Starters here....when was the last time we did that? I also like that you stayed away from punters in the 2nd round. When can we pick Cardale Jones?

Comment

Nole - anytime you double up on CBs...you know i will love the draft.

Comment

Sean Smith/Vontae Davis deja vu...

Comment

Originally posted by ONOle1 View Post
                I think Miami will try and trade back in round one at this point. The meat of this draft are picks 15-60, so I would love to see them add another second round pick. If they can't do that I hope they can pick up another 3rd or 4th as they could fill some holes there as well.

I don't mind doubling down on CB's, we could damn sure use a couple of good ones...

IMO however, it's a bit of a pipe dream to think we'll have the opportunity to trade down again,, i say again because we've already traded down once from 8 to 13 with the Eagles and potentially blew any chance we had at an elite player in the top 10 picks. The problem with thinking it's best to trade down again b/c the meat of the draft is as you say picks 15-60 is i'm assuming every team knows this as well and won't be willing to give up a late a 3rd to move to 13 unless someone they really, really covet slides..I just don't see it happening...

Comment

Originally posted by Driven_Phinsane! View Post

I don't mind doubling down on CB's, we could damn sure use a couple of good ones...

IMO however, it's a bit of a pipe dream to think we'll have the opportunity to trade down again,, i say again because we've already traded down once from 8 to 13 with the Eagles and potentially blew any chance we had at an elite player in the top 10 picks. The problem with thinking it's best to trade down again b/c the meat of the draft is as you say picks 15-60 is i'm assuming every team knows this as well and won't be willing to give up a late a 3rd to move to 13 unless someone they really, really covet slides..I just don't see it happening...

I mostly agree, but you never know in the draft. Especially if some of the top rated players slip and 2 QBs, 2 OTs, Jack, Ramsey, and 2 DLmen get taken in the Top 10. Someone always drops. I think a lot of the trades that don't happen are due more to the trade offs than a team simply not wanting to move up.

But I agree on staying at #13. I'd rather have quality than quantity.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X