X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McShay's Latest Mock...discuss

8. Miami Dolphins (6-10)

Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida Gators
    At 5-foot-11, 195 pounds, Hargreaves has adequate size to go along with outstanding suddenness, body control and deep speed. He thrives in man-to-man coverage, and with CB Brent Grimes turning 33 this summer, Hargreaves would be a good fit in Miami. The other option would be Oregon DE DeForest Buckner if free-agent-to-be Olivier Vernon leaves town.

With QB's moving up the board like Wentz, among others, Hargreaves might actually be available to the Dolphins at number eight.

Comment

Hargreaves,Ramsey's, Ragland!
      The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

If he's there take him. Same with Ramsey or Alexander.

My draft priority - CB, DE, LB, OG.

2015 saw a historically bad pass defense for this team. Got to shore that up and Joseph already stated that it begins with CBs and pass rushers.

Comment

I would be happy with the Dolphins drafting Vernon Hargreaves.

Comment

REALLY, really hoping that 2 of the teams above us drafts Carson Wentz, and Lynch or Goff in the 1st - Cowboys and Browns... Jags will probably take Hargreaves or Ramsey, but the other could fall to us.

Comment

I'd be happy with going DB though my main priority remains playmaking LB...IMO, Suh will never thrive here unless we get him some playmaking LB's behind him to clean up on plays after he has freed them up to do so (Just go back & watch some Lions tape if you're having trouble remembering how dominant Suh & their LB's were) People think Suh was average this past year but he was pretty much BEAST, he just didn't get any help from the guys behind him; i believe i read where our LB's didn't have a single sack all year (or maybe it was 1) That's a mind-boggling stat & just magnifies how bad our LB play really is..We should have never went after a future HOF if the intent wasn't to make him our centerpiece on D & surround him with a little help...

Comment

• Bahamas
                Bahamas commented
                Editing a comment
                Who is the MLB that you want brov? Ragland?

Did you watch the senior bowl reports? He's not a top10 talent. Slow to the breaks, but a thumper. Think Brandon Spikes. Can't keep up with RBs in the flat, was the biggest draw that I saw.
                When you put the game on Sunday, with NFL speed, I'd be worried about him in coverage. Great 2 down LB, but not an everyday talent.

I agree with cuch - CB or DE is where we need to go.

If Ramsey is there...we should run to the podium, but he won't be. I am liking Mac over Veron these days. Mac is definitely more aggressive whereas Veron is more fluid.

I honestly don't see that much difference between them....it's basically, what type of player do you want...Sam Madison (Mac) or Patrick Surtain (Veron)

Originally posted by Driven_Phinsane! View Post
              I'd be happy with going DB though my main priority remains playmaking LB...IMO, Suh will never thrive here unless we get him some playmaking LB's behind him to clean up on plays after he has freed them up to do so (Just go back & watch some Lions tape if you're having trouble remembering how dominant Suh & their LB's were) People think Suh was average this past year but he was pretty much BEAST, he just didn't get any help from the guys behind him; i believe i read where our LB's didn't have a single sack all year (or maybe it was 1) That's a mind-boggling stat & just magnifies how bad our LB play really is..We should have never went after a future HOF if the intent wasn't to make him our centerpiece on D & surround him with a little help...
              We all seem to agree that we need a play making stud on defense in the 1st, just differ on the position. I've wanted a stone cold killer at MLB for forever. The flies in the ointment this off-season were Wake's injury, OVs FA, and the failure of the team to find or develop a quality DB after Philbin jettisoned Davis and Smith.

I just can't see going into the season with an old and injury prone Grimes and a handful of unproven 2nd year guys. Conversely, there's been some talk about moving Jamar Taylor to safety. Little tired of the continued experiments back there...

Suh was indeed a beast and PFF stated that Suh performed at a probowl level and ranked third among NFL defensive tackles with a +52.6 grade last season. I think we'll see improved LB play from a healthy Jenkins, a developing Hewitt, and hopefully some FA or rookie LBs. I'm really high on Blake Martinez, but also like Beniquez Brown and Kendrell Brothers. Late, I would love to get Nick Vigil as well. He's a much better prospect than his brother Zach, we have as depth and on ST...

Comment

I honestly hear what both you & Bahamas are saying Cuch, and i agree to a certain extent...Obviously we have major problems at those 3 positions, unless we feel confident that Wake's gonna come back strong from his achilles injury (very doubtful in my opinion) & look to restructure him and/or we look to keep OV..The secondary is a complete mess; will we keep Grimes?, more importantly does it really matter??, waiting on jokes like Jamar Taylor to have the lightbulb come on (Man, why can't we ever get it right??? Jason Allen, Jamar Fletcher, etc. etc. etc.) no quality starter's, zero depth...

The injuries to Jack & JSmith have really thrown a monkey wrench into the plans as far as i'm concerned, because i'd go with one of those studs @ 8 if they were there & healthy (Jack could be close, as his injury occurred way earlier)

Also, i definitely don't like assuming that our LB play will get better with experience; been waiting on Misi for years..I liked Hewitt a lot out of Marshall but whether he'll make the jump remains to be seen and i like JJenkins as well, but he is what he is; solid tackler who will never be a playmaker...
                Last edited by Driven_Phinsane!; 02-04-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• cuchulainn
                  cuchulainn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No worries. I'll be happy with any of the 3 positions in question at DB, DE, or LB and it's all pretty preliminary at this point until we see what we do with FA. If we re-sign OV, Coples, and Shelby, and pick up a FA CB or two, then I'm in on a LB early and will be happy with Smith, Jack, Ragland, or Scooby.

As for Hewitt and Jenkins, IMO, drafting is one thing, you still have to develop these kids. That was an issue under Philbin and Coyles where we had a Top 5 Defense when they arrived and each season we progressively got worse. Hoping for the best with Joseph as the DC as he learned under Nolan and Phillips.

Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post

We all seem to agree that we need a play making stud on defense in the 1st, just differ on the position. I've wanted a stone cold killer at MLB for forever. The flies in the ointment this off-season were Wake's injury, OVs FA, and the failure of the team to find or develop a quality DB after Philbin jettisoned Davis and Smith.

I just can't see going into the season with an old and injury prone Grimes and a handful of unproven 2nd year guys. Conversely, there's been some talk about moving Jamar Taylor to safety. Little tired of the continued experiments back there...

Suh was indeed a beast and PFF stated that Suh performed at a probowl level and ranked third among NFL defensive tackles with a +52.6 grade last season. I think we'll see improved LB play from a healthy Jenkins, a developing Hewitt, and hopefully some FA or rookie LBs. I'm really high on Blake Martinez, but also like Beniquez Brown and Kendrell Brothers. Late, I would love to get Nick Vigil as well. He's a much better prospect than his brother Zach, we have as depth and on ST...
                I will admit that while doing a mock over on FanSpeak I decided to see how I felt about changing things up a bit. So, I drafted Buckner or Lawson in the first and then go ALL defense until the late rounds. Although my corners weren't as strong, I have to admit that I did like how strong that draft looked when I focused on the d-line and linebackers early. I think if the Dolphins front office can pick up some o-linemen and a corner and free safety in free agency, then they could go DE in the first and have a strong defensive unit. JMO

Comment

• cuchulainn
                  cuchulainn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Completely agree. I don't think you can go wrong with Lawson and Buckner is a stud as well, he just seems to not be getting the attention of others. He has Top 10 talent though. He has an impressive body of work as well. Funny thing is I read he was Dion Jordan's roomie at Oregon at one point. ;-)

I have to say my dream pick would be Ramsey. That guy is the best defensive talent in the draft. But I would be happy with Hargreaves.

Comment

Wow... http://thedraftwire.usatoday.com/201...e-on-the-rise/

8. Miami Dolphins: DE Noah Spence, Eastern Kentucky Colonels

Courtesy of EKUSports Communications

Scouting Report
                  Overview: With Olivier Vernon set to take the money in free agency, Spence landing in the Dolphins lap could be a dream scenario for Miami. Cameron Wake is aging and recovering from an Achilles rupture, but Spence’s presence would give the Dolphins much-needed quickness off the edge. The versatile pass rusher can fit in a 3-4 or 4-3 front, and has improved his counter game and ability to rush with power if Senior Bowl week is any evidence.
                  Has Hargreaves dropping to #18 and Alexander going at #29.

I think this mock is whack.

Comment

CB is the best choice unless we keep Grimes, sign a pricey FA and strike out at DE.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X