Dolphins Looking At Linebackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphins Looking At Linebackers

The college football all-start games start this weekend with the East-West Shrine Game kicking off at 4pm Saturday afternoon. There has not been a lot of news out of the Shrine Game this week, with most coverage of the Miami Dolphins focusing on their building of a coaching staff, rather than on their scouting of Draft prospects this early in the offseason. That does not mean the Dolphins are not out there looking at players.

According to NFL.com's Chase Goodbread, the Dolphins have already met with at least two linebacker prospects, spending time with Florida's Anthony Harrell as well as talking with USC's Anthony Sarao.

Harrell is a 6-foot-1, 238 pound red-shirt senior at Florida, primarily working as a reserve linebacker and special teams player for the team. He was a graduate transfer to Florida this year after playing at Georgia Tech for the first part of his college career. He recorded 57 career tackles with one forced fumbles.

Sarao is 6-feet tall, 230 pounds and is considered a very intelligent player, but is probably a 6th or 7th round draft pick at best at this point. He is a high effort player, but may not have the speed to play at the NFL level.

Neither of these players are going to be dramatic difference makers day one if Miami drafts or signs them as undrafted free agents. The fact that Miami is at least talking to linebackers already could be a sign that they are going to key in on trying to upgrade the position this offseason, and it could mean they are going to be looking for as many options at adding starters and depth players as possible. Both linebackers played at big schools, have experience on defense and special teams, and can likely be grabbed fairly cheaply as the Draft ends or just after the final picks are made.

I hope they draft a linebacker EARLY in this draft. I think they need to pick up a couple.

I agree... but I'm not putting much stock into Harrell or Sarao themselves, but possibly teammates of theirs... Hargreaves, Bullard, Alex Macalister maybe, who was dismissed from the Gators after racking up 6.5 sacks and 9.5 tackles for loss. Same with Sarao as Max Tuerk, Zach Banner, and Su'a Cravens are all guys we could, or should, be interested in.

Comment

Ragland Ragland Ragland Ragland Ragland Ragland

Comment

• gulfcoast74
        gulfcoast74 commented
        Editing a comment
        We have to draft a stud LB. We have not had a descent LB since Zack was run out of town.

• DolphinsFreak
        DolphinsFreak commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. When I play around on that draft simulator I am keying in on the top two DB's in this draft and more times then not they are gone, so I immediately go right after Ragland every time once those guys are off the board. In my opinion this TEAM needs to have a face, an identity, on both sides of the ball and maybe including a coach. They have not had that since Zack Thomas and Taylor were run out of town on the defensive side of the ball and they have no had it on the offensive side of the ball since Marino retired. Hopefully the Dolphins address the defensive side of the ball and draft a stud MLB in this draft to put a face to this defense. Suh is an elite player but this team needs a MLB that can become more of a leader then even Suh is. JMO

• gulfcoast74
        gulfcoast74 commented
        Editing a comment
        Just imagine Ragland behind Suh.

Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post
      I agree... but I'm not putting much stock into Harrell or Sarao themselves, but possibly teammates of theirs... Hargreaves, Bullard, Alex Macalister maybe, who was dismissed from the Gators after racking up 6.5 sacks and 9.5 tackles for loss. Same with Sarao as Max Tuerk, Zach Banner, and Su'a Cravens are all guys we could, or should, be interested in.
      I'm curious what you would do with Su'a Cravens? When I posted my mock draft where I took Cravens you commented that he was too small and that he looked like Kenny Stills, which is not a compliment to Cravens. AHA I told you that since we don't know if we are running a 4-3 or a 3-4, that drafting a hybrid linebacker like Cravens might be a good idea, and when you add the fact that he can play strong safety is a bonus.

So, what would you do with Cravens? I'm curious if you had different ideas then I do.

Comment

I think #8 is a little high for Reggie Ragland. He doesn't have the athleticism of a Jaylon Smith or a Myles Jack. I think Smith is going to drop significantly because of his injury probably into the low 20s. I have seen some mocks that have Ragland going anywhere from the mid teens to the end of the first round. If Jack shows well at the combine I would consider taking him at #8. I know he is best suited as an OLB rather than an ILB but we really need one of each anyway. We could draft an ILB later on. Maybe Kentrell Brothers in the 3rd round or Blake Martinez in the 5th round.

Comment

• cuchulainn
          cuchulainn commented
          Editing a comment
          Ragland is climbing, but not sure why... he was projected a month ago as a 2nd or 3rd rounder... proly the Bama/Clemson game and the injuries to Smith and Jack...

I like both Brothers and Martinez in mid rounds.

• gulfcoast74
          gulfcoast74 commented
          Editing a comment
          We took Dion #3 and how many games has he played?!?!?! Take Ragland at 8 and solidify one of my he most important positions on defense. We need a day one starter playmaker. Ragland is it!!!!! And that's coming from a diehard Aurburn fan that lives in the state of Alabama.

Originally posted by DolphinsFreak View Post

I'm curious what you would do with Su'a Cravens? When I posted my mock draft where I took Cravens you commented that he was too small and that he looked like Kenny Stills, which is not a compliment to Cravens. AHA I told you that since we don't know if we are running a 4-3 or a 3-4, that drafting a hybrid linebacker like Cravens might be a good idea, and when you add the fact that he can play strong safety is a bonus.

So, what would you do with Cravens? I'm curious if you had different ideas then I do.
        That's because there is a strong resemblance between the two - facial features, haircuts, and tats... I didn't know if you meant to draft him and keep him as a LB or move him to safety, which is why I asked. He projects as a WLB in a 4-3 or at ILB in a 3-4 IMO, but needs to bulk up.

With Joseph coming from the Bengals, he may be able to help land Emmanuel Lamur or Vincent Rey at OLB... Looking at ILB's the new staff has ties to:
        Jerrell Freeman, Colts
        Shea McClellin, Bears
        Andy Studebaker, Colts
        Danny Trevathan, Broncos

Neville Hewitt also should figure into long term plans if he can continue to develop and fill out his frame - and stay healthy as he had back issues in college. He has good natural instincts and loves to hit. He also seemed like a wrap up tackler. Hoping we found a gem with him.

Comment

• cuchulainn
          cuchulainn commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol... Yeah, they really look alike except Cravens is a lot bigger physically.

Agree on the playing weight as well. I can understand having players bulk up to where they can be more effective, but not to where it's a detriment. I think the forced weight gain and playing out of position is where the wheels came off with Dion Jordan. Really hoping the coaching change and Joseph and Burke can get Jordan back on track once he's eligible to return at the end of April.

Tuerk would be a good drafting IMO. He's one of the top 2 Centers in this draft and can play multiple positions. He could also take over for Pouncey if we decided to trade him or have Pouncey play Guard if we need too.

• DolphinsFreak
          DolphinsFreak commented
          Editing a comment
          I would be so happy if Dion Jordan turned things around and ended up being the Dolphins ace in the hole. So much talent. I just hope he isn't wasting and that he has been working out hard to have a career in the NFL.

I don't know how you feel about moving Albert inside to guard but the idea of this is starting to make me thing the Dolphins might not be too far away from having a good o-line. They could sign Kelechi Osemele in free agency and draft Truek. Imagine that! *******Osemele - Albert - Truek - Pouncey - James*******

• cuchulainn
          cuchulainn commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol... ironic that we lost our 2013 1st round pick, but picked up the jets 2012 1st round pick. Be crazy if we got DJ back and turned them both into productive Linebackers. Agree on hoping for the best with him.

Moving Albert inside seems like a natural progression at some point. If he's open to the move. My biggest concern is James and Pouncey staying healthy. Would be just our luck to solve our Guard issues and have these 2 become as injury prone as Albert's been...

On paper, Osemele - Albert - Truek - Pouncey - James, looks solid. Let's see what Grier and the FO actually do though. At least we don't have a OL coach for a HC like the past 8 years...

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X