Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolphins New Coaches

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dolphins New Coaches

    Adam Gase - Head Coach (From Bears) - 13 Years NFL Experience but none as head coach

    Vance Joseph - Defensive Coordinator (From Bengals) - 10 Years NFL Experience as DB coach

    Eric Stokes - Senior Personnel Executive - Assistant General Manager and DB Coach - 13 Years NFL Experience (Most in Seattle and last year with Tampa)

    Matt Burke - Linebackers Coach (From Bengals) - He did a great job with the Lions and also coaches with the Titans

    Shane Day - Tight Ends Coach (From Washington) - Day worked with Mike Martz both in San Francisco and Chicago - He has experience being a quarterbacks coach and offensive line coach

    Chris Foerster - Offensive Line Coach (From 49ers) - About 23 Years NFL experience working with offensive lines

    Shawn Jefferson - Wide Receivers Coach (From Titans) - About 20 Years NFL Experience - 17 with Lions and 3 with the Titans


    *******(They list Shane Day as a tight ends coach but it makes much more sense if he is the Dolphins new quarterbacks coach)********



    Any Other Coaching Hires ?

    What do you think of these current hires ?


    Last edited by DolphinsFreak; 01-12-2016, 08:44 PM.

  • #2
    Well since we are starting from scratch with and unknown coach, why not? They are as good as any.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't know much about these guys but i'm hoping they'll do some good work for us...Seems like going after some bigger names (Mike Nolan, Mike Sherman, etc.) hasn't really worked out all that well for us, maybe some of these lesser known guys will do the trick...I've heard some good things about Joseph....

      Comment


      • #4
        None of us know much about these guys. What we do know is they are up and coming coaches and highly regarded around the league. We know that Cincy had a really solid defense despite their meltdown Sunday. We know that Cincy's secondary was a hell of a lot better than ours. We know that Cincy's LB's were a hell of a lot better than ours.

        All I really know is many here (most) wanted to blow the thing up and start over. We've taken the band aid route before. That's pretty much excactly what we've done. The fact is we're starting from scatch from GM down to ball boys, which should make people happy.

        Comment


        • #5
          Off to a good start because all so far are NFL experienced guys and not coming from College ranks getting the gig on nepotism wink wink.
          The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

          Comment


          • #6
            At least it's not a family affair.. Let's see what they can do. Unfortunately the odds are stacked against them and we'll shit can a couple
            More seasons.... Oh well... Hope" is the key word for dolphins fans..

            Comment


            • #7
              I like having the years behind their names. I just hope they can get it done. Gase is going to need them. I know, coming from a flame thrower lol

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah, most, if not all of us, don't know much about these guys. However, even though I do NOT like the Gase hire, I have to say that the staff he is putting together looks like they have way more NFL experience then the one that Philbin/Sherman put together. Out of these 7 coaches I think they have more experience then everyone on Philbin's staff. The wait and see approach does get old but it's all we can do as of right now. I think my biggest concern right now is what that moron Tannenbaum does during free agency and the draft. Is he going to allow Chris Grier to do his job? If so, I am curious what kind of players he goes after if he has nobody second guessing his decisions like in the past when he was in his previous position.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DolphinsFreak View Post
                  Adam Gase - Head Coach (From Bears) - 13 Years NFL Experience but none as head coach

                  Vance Joseph - Defensive Coordinator (From Bengals) - 10 Years NFL Experience as DB coach

                  Eric Stokes - Senior Personnel Executive - Assistant General Manager and DB Coach - 13 Years NFL Experience (Most in Seattle and last year with Tampa)

                  Matt Burke - Linebackers Coach (From Bengals) - He did a great job with the Lions and also coaches with the Titans

                  Shane Day - Tight Ends Coach (From Washington) - Day worked with Mike Martz both in San Francisco and Chicago - He has experience being a quarterbacks coach and offensive line coach

                  Chris Foerster - Offensive Line Coach (From 49ers) - About 23 Years NFL experience working with offensive lines

                  Shawn Jefferson - Wide Receivers Coach (From Titans) - About 20 Years NFL Experience - 17 with Lions and 3 with the Titans


                  *******(They list Shane Day as a tight ends coach but it makes much more sense if he is the Dolphins new quarterbacks coach)********



                  Any Other Coaching Hires ?

                  What do you think of these current hires ?

                  The new coach I am most happy with is Chris Foerster. We desperately needed a new O-line coach and the fact that he has 23 years of experience in that realm is good. Other than that none of these hirings really jump out at me. I am somewhat disappointed we didn't get an established DC and we are getting someone in Vance Jospeh who has never done that before.

                  Comment


                  • cuchulainn
                    cuchulainn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Psssttt... Foerster was Wanny's OC back in 04... ;-)

                    I like the Vance Johnson hiring though. He learned under Wade Phillips and Mike Nolan prior to going to Cinci.

                • #10
                  Originally posted by HndRkyaBong34 View Post
                  Hope" is the key word for dolphins fans..
                  I thought the key words were 'Gloom, Despair & Agony'...Pretty sure it's in our stadium fight song...

                  Comment


                  • Alpha
                    Alpha commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If not, it should be.....

                • #11
                  I like the hiring of Matt Burke. He was Schwartz LB coach in Detroit and was previously with the Titans as Fisher's LB coach as well.

                  Comment


                  • #12
                    Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post
                    I like the hiring of Matt Burke. He was Schwartz LB coach in Detroit and was previously with the Titans as Fisher's LB coach as well.
                    Yeah, i like this signing a lot..Detroit's LB's were pretty kick-ass!

                    Comment


                    • cuchulainn
                      cuchulainn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, my thoughts as well. Just hope we get him some upgrades at LB - especially if Vance is going to be running a Wade Phillips style Defense.

                    • Driven_Phinsane!
                      Driven_Phinsane! commented
                      Editing a comment
                      True Dat,, i didn't see where Burke had any culinary skills...you know, to make chicken salad out of chicken shit!

                  • #13
                    Looking at the coaches we hired, they tend more to run a 3-4 Defense. This could lead to a huge shakeup. Vernon and Wake are not great 3-4 DEs (so whichever we keep - if either - will probably transition to LB).
                    ​Suh is a beast, but he's not a true NT and may not want to be. Shelby should be a solid 3-4 end. Sure would be nice to have Odrick back....

                    The biggest concern? LBs and NT are what really makes the 3-4 go.....and we don't have the personnel.
                    Last edited by Alpha; 01-12-2016, 10:51 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #14
                      Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                      Looking at the coaches we hired, they tend more to run a 3-4 Defense. This could lead to a huge shakeup. Vernon and Wake are not great 3-4 DEs (so whichever we keep - if either - will probably transition to LB).
                      ​Suh is a beast, but he's not a true NT and may not want to be. Shelby should be a solid 3-4 end. Sure would be nice to have Odrick back....

                      The biggest concern? LBs and NT are what really makes the 3-4 go.....and we don't have the personnel.
                      It's mostly nomenclature anyway as most of your defense is nickel in today's NFL. As for players, Mitchell played Nose in Houston. Suh can play anything up front, but would most likely be a DE. The Phillips' style 3-4 uses a shaded NT and a 3-technique. It won't matter much with Suh as he's capable of playing 1, 2i, 3, and 4i techniques. He's a definite fit IMO...

                      Phillips was a NT in a similar style of defense at Oklahoma. The hard part would be finding a guy to play the J.J. Watt role - the 4, 5 and 6 technique guy. On the roster, that's most likely Coples and/or Shelby as guys who probably have similar skills for the role.

                      One of the "DE" spots under Phillips is someone playing 3-technique, which is mostly what Suh has played. It's a one-gap scheme so I don't think there's much worry about Suh sitting as a 5-technique and 2-gapping. He's a fit, and his position doesn't change that much. You can still move him where you want him and have him create havok.

                      We're really going to need a pass-rush OLB. Wake is only good for situational football at this point. If we don't re-sign Vernon then we'll need a 4/5/6 technique end, unless they think Coples and/or Fede can do it. We need to prioritize re-signing Shelby, then get a bigger ILB to play next to Jenkins and a bigger SAM. Not sure any of our other LBs are a fit.

                      Comment


                      • Daytona Dolfan
                        Daytona Dolfan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What about the kid we moved up for last year.( Dion Jordan?) Wouldn't he be a perfect fit as a 3-4 OLB?

                      • cuchulainn
                        cuchulainn commented
                        Editing a comment
                        He would IMO, but I dunno if we'll take him back. May try to trade his right for a late round pick or just cut him outright. At least with a new FO and Coaching staff, we may be able to get him back and recover his career in a best case scenario...

                    • #15
                      Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                      Looking at the coaches we hired, they tend more to run a 3-4 Defense. This could lead to a huge shakeup. Vernon and Wake are not great 3-4 DEs (so whichever we keep - if either - will probably transition to LB).
                      ​Suh is a beast, but he's not a true NT and may not want to be. Shelby should be a solid 3-4 end. Sure would be nice to have Odrick back....

                      The biggest concern? LBs and NT are what really makes the 3-4 go.....and we don't have the personnel.
                      I hope that the new staff uses the talent we HAVE in the best ways possible to fit their skills, rather than trying to force them to fit the pattern of what the coaches prefer to run.
                      We're not staffed for a 3-4 IMHO,.

                      I find it interesting that the biggest knock against Campbell was his youth/experience and the question of the staff he could assemble. So far, the only coaching hire I actually like, is Burke, and I really dislike Foerster coming to work on the BIGGEST weakness the team has!

                      Comment

                      Unconfigured Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X