Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris Grier

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chris Grier

    Chris Grier Director of College Scouting
    • College: Massachusetts
    • NFL: 20th Season
    • Team: 15th Season

    Chris Grier begins his 15th season with the Dolphins and his eighth as the team's Director of College Scouting. He served as an area scout with the club from 2000-02 before being promoted to National Scout/Assistant Director of College Scouting in 2003. He joined the club after spending the previous five years in the personnel department with the New England Patriots.

    Grier started with the Patriots as an intern in 1994. He joined the club on a full-time basis the following year, and served as a regional scout until joining the Dolphins in 2000.

    Grier attended the University of Massachusetts-Amherst where he majored in journalism and played football for two years before injuries ended his career. He spent his final two years there as an undergraduate assistant.

    Grier is the son of Bobby Grier, the former Vice President-Player Personnel with the New England Patriots who currently is the Associate Director of Pro Scouting with the Houston Texans. Chris' brother, Michael, played for the Edmonton Oilers, Washington Capitals, San Jose Sharks and Buffalo Sabres of the National Hockey League.

    A native of Holliston, Mass., Grier resides in Weston, Fla. with his wife, Paige, and their two sons, Landon and Jackson.


    SO, this might explain a great deal about the Dolphins.Their top scout is a Patriots fan. AHA

  • #2
    Being in our personnel department for the last 15 years doesn't impress me. We have had way more misses than hits during that time.
    Can we sign this guy?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by FinFan in KC View Post
      Being in our personnel department for the last 15 years doesn't impress me. We have had way more misses than hits during that time.
      That the first thing that came to my mind. The Dolphins have been TERRIBLE for how long? Grier has been the scout for how long?

      Hey Ross, the Miami Dolphins SUCK! You don't HIRE FROM WITHIN an organization that SUCKS!! You go OUTSIDE the shitty organization and get BETTER people, NOT Yes Men, and you build from there. This team is doomed for failure if this is their approach, to hire from within the organization, and organization that is a proven failure. Yeah, let's make a current scout the next GM and while they're at it, why not keep Campbell and Turner as their HC and OC. That makes sense, to the insane.

      Comment


      • #4
        Grier is considered one of the best young talent evaluators in the NFL. He was interviewed by both the jets and Eagles for their GM positions last year and was on the list for the Browns before they decided on Farmer.

        Something to consider is that what the FO does with the draft evaluations and his recommendations is completely different. Draft day decisions and FA signings were not his area. Also if you look around the league many of our former draft picks are playing well for other teams. Our issue has been coaching ever since Philbin took over.

        With Hickey being Philbin's buddy hiring, I'd no problem hiring Grier as the GM provided he is the best qualified and best candidate we could put into the position. I'm sure Tbaum will look at other guys as well.

        YMMV.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post
          Grier is considered one of the best young talent evaluators in the NFL. He was interviewed by both the jets and Eagles for their GM positions last year and was on the list for the Browns before they decided on Farmer.

          Something to consider is that what the FO does with the draft evaluations and his recommendations is completely different. Draft day decisions and FA signings were not his area. Also if you look around the league many of our former draft picks are playing well for other teams. Our issue has been coaching ever since Philbin took over.

          With Hickey being Philbin's buddy hiring, I'd no problem hiring Grier as the GM provided he is the best qualified and best candidate we could put into the position. I'm sure Tbaum will look at other guys as well.

          YMMV.

          Agreed. My immediate knee-jerk reaction was similar to those stated above; he's obviously been with the Dolphins for like forever & pretty much we've sucked on draft day more often than not during that span...But then i thought as you pointed out that he's only the director of scouting; he can peg all of the best talent out there & where it should be drafted but if the higher-ups don't follow his advice, it pretty much is what it is..He can lead the damn jackasses to water but he can't make them drink! Maybe as GM he'll actually have a say in what talent is ultimately selected come draft day....

          Comment


          • cuchulainn
            cuchulainn commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes... I try to always be analytical and stay away from emotional or knee-jerk reactions. I don't always agree with what's going on, but I try to understand the decisions.

            And who knows, IF he becomes the GM, he may be fantastic. (And yes, I know I am a half-full type guy). lol...

        • #6
          I actually like Chris Grier. I think he and his staff have done well scouting just by looking at the players they have scouted. As Cuch said, Hickey worked with Philbin and we all know Philbin wanted "HIS" type of players. If Miami doesn't hire Grier at some point someone else will. My only concern is will Grier be Tannebaum's lackey?

          Comment


          • cuchulainn
            cuchulainn commented
            Editing a comment
            As long as they put a vastly improved product on the field starting next season, I could less is Grier is his 76 degree, vanilla latte with cinnamon powder coffee boy. lol...

        • #7
          Originally posted by ONOle1 View Post
          I actually like Chris Grier. I think he and his staff have done well scouting just by looking at the players they have scouted. As Cuch said, Hickey worked with Philbin and we all know Philbin wanted "HIS" type of players. If Miami doesn't hire Grier at some point someone else will. My only concern is will Grier be Tannebaum's lackey?
          yeah, i was thinking the same thing...Pretty much all for naught if he's just gonna be a puppet under Tannenbaum....

          Comment


          • #8
            Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post
            Grier is considered one of the best young talent evaluators in the NFL. He was interviewed by both the jets and Eagles for their GM positions last year and was on the list for the Browns before they decided on Farmer.

            Something to consider is that what the FO does with the draft evaluations and his recommendations is completely different. Draft day decisions and FA signings were not his area. Also if you look around the league many of our former draft picks are playing well for other teams. Our issue has been coaching ever since Philbin took over.

            With Hickey being Philbin's buddy hiring, I'd no problem hiring Grier as the GM provided he is the best qualified and best candidate we could put into the position. I'm sure Tbaum will look at other guys as well.

            YMMV.
            One Problem - He wasn't hired for any of those jobs you mentioned.

            One Positive - He was the scout for GM's that were some of the worst in the league. Maybe if he had final say on which players he scouted actually got signed the team might be looking better. I still don't like hiring from within, when the place your hiring from has a LONG history of failure.

            Comment

            Unconfigured Ad Widget

            Collapse
            Working...
            X