X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tua talk

Tua Tagovailoa: My hip feels 10 times better than it did last year

Posted by Myles Simmons on May 26, 2021, 3:36 PM EDT

Though he was coming off a dislocated hip that ended his collegiate career, Tua Tagovailoa was able to begin the 2020 season as Miami’s backup quarterback.

He didn’t end up playing until Week Six, and made his first start in Week Seven. But there’s been a lot more time since Tagovailoa suffered the injury in Nov. 2019, which is a clear positive.

“My hip feels 10 times better than it did last year, and the confidence level for myself, I feel really confident coming into this second year after the injury two years ago,” Tagovailoa said on Wednesday, via Safid Deen of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Tagovailoa started nine games last year, compiling a 6-3 record as a starter. With increased health in 2021, the quarterback has a better chance to get off to a hot start in 2021.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...did-last-year/

This is something several of us have been talking about. That injury was as bad or worse than an ACL. Seldom does a player come back 100% from an ACL in 12 months. It is usually the second season back that they return to form. While they may be physically 100% they are not mentally confident in the knee that quickly. Look at what the hip injury did to Albert Wilson. He was dynamic in 2018, in 2019 he looked slow and was not a factor. Towards the end of the season he started to resemble the guy we saw in 2018 (when him and Grant ran side by side - my favorite phins photo in a long time). So far what I'm hearing is he looks fast and shifty again today in OTA's.

Tua was not only healing physically, but mentally you just are not ready to believe you're body is back to normal. You could see him hesitate in the pocket instead of taking off. You could see him go down with an arm tackle in the pocket because he was unsure about how his body would handle a hit. When you're mind is worried about your body you are not as effective and you do not play free and loose. Tua saying he is 10x better off with his hip this season is a big statement, and one that I truly believe.
    Last edited by Idahomer; 05-26-2021, 03:48 PM.

Excited to see the new and improved Tua in action

Players make comments like his all the time but I believe him

I feel that he will be quicker and stronger this upcoming season

Can not wait to see him and his new toys take the field

Comment

• Idahomer
      Idahomer commented
      Editing a comment
      I totally agree. He is believable because he's humble. He never used it as an excuse last season, but you could clearly see it impacting him physically, but even more mentally.

• PhinPhan68
      PhinPhan68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree

Being at full strength will effect him mentally too

That is why I expect his game to be much improved

Excited to even think about

Gesicki's take on the Tua criticism..

Omar Kelly

@OmarKelly
    ·
    1h
    "The problem with the criticism is there is nothing behind it. He came in here and played nine games and did a lot of good things for us. Stepped up in some big situations and got better for us each and every week," Mike Gesicki on Tua Tagovailoa.

Comment

• IMAWriter
      IMAWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't do Twitter, so I love when y'all provide one. Very interesting.

Miami Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa has better handle on playbook in Year 2

1:48 PM PT

• Cameron WolfeESPN Staff Writer

DAVIE, Fla. -- Rocking a new offseason beard and a much louder line-of-scrimmage cadence, Tua Tagovailoa looked and sounded like a different quarterback leading the Miami Dolphins offense during Wednesday's organized team activities. He also showed up without many of the constraints that followed him a year ago.

Tagovailoa said his surgically repaired hip feels "10 times" better than it did a year ago. The addition of wide receivers Will Fuller (free-agent signing) and Jaylen Waddle (first-round pick) give him much-needed speed to open up the offense. Maybe most importantly, he is finally comfortable -- a buzzword in Dolphins headquarters this offseason surrounding the young quarterback -- with his game and the team's offensive playbook for the first time as a NFL pro.

In his first interview with South Florida media since the Dolphins season ended, Tagovailoa opened up about the cause of his up-and-down rookie season while detailing why improved confidence and comfort will help him be a better quarterback in Year 2.

"Last year for me, I wasn't as comfortable just in general. I wasn't comfortable calling plays," Tagovailoa said. "The guys that were here last year were phenomenal. I just didn't have the comfortability of checking plays, alerting plays. I just rode with the play, even if I knew it wasn't going to work. I was going to try to make it work.

"I didn't actually know the playbook necessarily really, really good, and that's no one else fault but my fault. Our playcalls were simple when I was in. I didn't have alerts and checks. Where now, I feel comfortable and I can maneuver my way through these things now."

Tagovailoa went 6-3 after taking over the starter role from Ryan Fitzpatrick in Week 7, completing 64% of his passes with 14 total touchdowns to five interceptions. But he wasn't often aggressive throwing downfield, and coach Brian Flores replaced him twice in the fourth quarter of close games in favor of Fitzpatrick. Anyone who watched the 2020 Dolphins could tell that the offense looked different when led by Tagovailoa.

Expect that to change in 2021, with Dolphins co-offensive coordinators George Godsey and Eric Studesville putting together an offense that will better suit Tagovailoa's skill set as they replace Chan Gailey, who abruptly resigned as offensive coordinator days after the 2020 season ended.

Tagovailoa, who is the unquestioned starter headed into the 2021 season, already has a decent grasp of some of what Miami wants to run, and a fully healthy offseason has helped him focus on improvement rather than just hip rehab.

"Coming into this year, throwing isn't as much arm this year as it was last year," Tagovailoa said. "It's using everything, using my legs, using my core and my arms just following. Very similar to golf."

Flores agreed that Tagovailoa is "definitely more comfortable" this offseason.

Tagovailoa is clearly stronger and bigger in his upper body, something that can be attributed to his work at the Per4orm training facility in South Florida, where he remained to work out this offseason instead of returning to his home state of Hawaii. Several Dolphins receivers joined him to run routes and train as Tagovailoa hopes to become an improved leader.
    "I didn't actually know the playbook necessarily really, really good, and that's no one else fault but my fault. Our playcalls were simple when I was in. I didn't have alerts and checks. Where now, I feel comfortable and I can maneuver my way through these things now."

Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa

The quarterback said the hard work and body changes this offseason were a direct response to some of his rookie struggles. Other priorities he noted included better cadence, faster pre-snap and post-snap reads, and voicing his opinion to players in the huddle and individually.

But some teammates believe the Tagovailoa disrespect got out of hand this offseason.

Tight end Mike Gesicki delivered an impassioned defense of Tagovailoa on Wednesday, questioning the criticism of the young quarterback and trade rumors specifically involving Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson.

"He's dealt with people saying stupid, uneducated stuff about him that they're not right about," Gesicki said. "So he's dealing with that, and he's continuing to work and continuing come in here each and every day, and I'm happy that he's our quarterback.

"The problem with the criticism is there's nothing behind it. The kid came in here, and people were already calling for him. He played nine games, and he did a lot of really good things for us, stepped up in big situations, made plays and I think got better each and every week, and now everybody's talking about his confidence and how he looks this year. Obviously we've had a couple of walk-throughs and all kind of stuff. It still looks good. He's been working hard and investing a lot of time into this season, so I'm excited for his future."

Gesicki isn't the only one. The Dolphins passed on taking a quarterback in the 2021 draft and didn't trade for a veteran, instead using their resources to put weapons around Tagovailoa.

So headed into Year 2, Tagovailoa is more comfortable and confident. There's reason for early optimism in Miami. But ultimately, how far the 2021 Dolphins go will be up to Tagovailoa's growth.
    Last edited by Idahomer; 05-26-2021, 05:27 PM.

Comment

One statement bothers me a bit, the part about not knowing the playbook really, really good. I mean, you've got one job,, you're given the playbook day-1, you live with that thing, learn it inside-out, back to front & every which way but loose. He sat & learned while watching Fitzpatrick..How could he not know the playbook really, really good?!

Comment

• AquaXI
        AquaXI commented
        Editing a comment
        He has instincts but only had a 19 wonderlic or something like that. He is instinctively gifted but I take it not a genius under pressure? Just a guess.

• Wulf
        Wulf commented
        Editing a comment
        Lamar Jackson, the 2020 MVP. scored a 13 on the wonderlic

• Dolfan1
        Dolfan1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dan Marino scored a 16

Thrown to the wolves and was 6-3 with a solid completion percentage and a great TD to INT ratio on a team depleted at WR with a rookie OL

When are we going to just cut the bullshit and talk about the heart and the guts that Tua showed last year playing at less than 100% as a rookie with no Offseason on a rebuilding football team.

Allen ( Bills) was arguably a top 5 quarterback last season in the NFL.... He stepped up and showed he could be the: "Man" that was year three for him... and he had a rock solid line and good to great targets to throw to.

Compare Allen as a Rookie to Tua... Looks shines .... yet we hear all of this shit talking about Tua.... Allen was given time and handled with kids gloves. Allen is a great QB.... I have no criticism of him.... But he was given three years to step up and they surrounded him with the talent he needed to win. Tua as a rookie on a bad football team that was in rebuild mode is thrown under the bus by assholes like Herd.... Fuck that asshole.

It is all bullshit.

Comment

Whadda ya think Guys

Still think I am SOBE

LMAO........ hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Etrius24 View Post
          Whadda ya think Guys

Still think I am SOBE

Never have and agree 100% on all the bullshit Tua hate!

Comment

• IMAWriter
            IMAWriter commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually, I think you BOTH are SoBe. LMAO. JK. Really.
            Seriously, ET, your Allen-Tua comparison is valid. Allen looked like merde..missed open receivers, completed less than 60% of his throws. DaBoll has worked wonders with him. Yes, Allen is perhaps more physically gifted than Tua..but so was Jeff George to Joe Montana. Tua will be just fine.
            Last edited by IMAWriter; 2 weeks ago.

Thanks Gulf.....

Comment

Originally posted by Etrius24 View Post
            Whadda ya think Guys

Still think I am SOBE

I never have...but if you end up insulting everyone & thinking you're ALWAYS right & that your opinion is the only one that matters, I might be persuaded to change my mind, lol..

Comment

• Etrius24
              Etrius24 commented
              Editing a comment
              So let's review

D1 starts this whole thing with a conspiracy theory I have to be This Joe Sobe guy.... I just could not be a new poster to the board.

He gets outed... Sobe comes back and makes him look foolish.

D1 responds and says he is blocking me

LMAO...

This is rich

D1 you could have just apologised and said you were wrong.

• Wulf
              Wulf commented
              Editing a comment
              DF1, what are the odds of another person suddenly appearing, who posts as often, and with so much familiarity, the same month that SB announces his departure?
              I make alot of money betting the odds each year, and I would put money on this!

• Dolfan1
              Dolfan1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed Wulf and I like the fact that he singles me out when there were at least a half dozen of us all questioning who he really is/was.

And I was "Outed"??? LMAO!!!

How so?? Just because they are BOTH posting now?? What does that prove other than one guy can have two different accounts and be insane enough to have conversations with himself.. Proves absolutely NOTHING. This guy is a riot.

The only one SoBe made look foolish was himself with his declaration that he can post here any time he likes. Uh yeah Joe, you left on your own accord AFTER I and a few others TOLD YOU, you really didn't need to leave, just stop being a pain in everyone's butt.

ET you ARE a very good poster but like your alter ego, you can be a pain in the butt too and yes I know I can be as well but generally I'm a very easy guy to get along with unless I think someone is lying. I absolutely HATE Liars. I had one almost ruin my life so there is zero tolerance by me for one. I'd rather live with a thief or a murderer, at least you know what to expect out of them. With a LIAR, you never really know, do you?
              Last edited by Dolfan1; 06-15-2021, 11:44 AM.

Originally posted by Driven_Phinsane! View Post
            One statement bothers me a bit, the part about not knowing the playbook really, really good. I mean, you've got one job,, you're given the playbook day-1, you live with that thing, learn it inside-out, back to front & every which way but loose. He sat & learned while watching Fitzpatrick..How could he not know the playbook really, really good?!
            That one bugged me too, but I think he was trying to not make excuses or throw Gailey under the bus with that comment. Also missing off-season work when your a rookie can’t be easy.. As long as he’s got it this year it doesn’t matter though and every player or coach that has been asked about him today say it’s night and day..

Comment

• Kato
              Kato commented
              Editing a comment
              Bugged me because proper English is that he did not know the playbook really really well. Maybe I can start a new negative Tua chorus about his diction. Then the whole internet can pick apart his language......he says with dripping sarcasm and disdain for all these Tua Trolls.

• IMAWriter
              IMAWriter commented
              Editing a comment
              U of Alabama isn't exactly the Harvard of the South. He gets a pass from me. My alma mater produced the late, great Jerome Brown, who in 1984 uttered these immortal words: "Did the Japanese go and sit down and have dinner with Pearl Harbor before they bombed them?"

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/...ck/7451532002/

Too hard to cut and paste this article from Schadd but it’s another Tua article that has some good stuff on it!! I’m excited to see what changes he’s made..

Comment

Originally posted by Idahomer View Post

That one bugged me too, but I think he was trying to not make excuses or throw Gailey under the bus with that comment. Also missing off-season work when your a rookie can’t be easy.. As long as he’s got it this year it doesn’t matter though and every player or coach that has been asked about him today say it’s night and day..
              I agree. I like that he holds himself accountable. Man oh man, I can't wait till the season starts!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Idahomer View Post
                https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/...ck/7451532002/

Too hard to cut and paste this article from Schadd but it’s another Tua article that has some good stuff on it!! I’m excited to see what changes he’s made..
                Lol, I just finished reading that. Good stuff!

Comment

Hard not to be stoked for the season.... We killed the draft... We got Wilson back... brought in Fuller.... Tua is healthy... stronger and more experienced.... So is the Offensive line. Iggy has been working his ass off training and working on footwork. Cranberry man is back...

It is hard not to be really, really excited.... They won 10 games last year and this is a much better team.... Let that sink in.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X