Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drew Brees

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Drew Brees

    There is a possibility that the Saints will release him this offseason since he is due to make $30 million in 2016 and the Saints will save $20 million against the salary cap by releasing him.

    He will be 37 years old next year. Its a shame we gave Tannehill that big contract this year or we would have a lot more cap space next year. Would you offer Brees a 2 year deal if he is released? He might have 2 good years left in him. The only problem is that will mean less money to spend on our o-line and defense.

    I think he would want to go somewhere where he can start. I don't think he would want to go to Cleveland. I think the 49ers are going to draft a QB.We should have a new HC and if its someone Brees likes he might decide to sign with Miami. I wonder if a 2 year $16 million would be enough.

  • #2
    no. we missed out on his talent a long time ago.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes! Anything that can help push Tannehill out the door I am in favor of because I know just like I did with Fiedler and Henne that Tannehill will NEVER take this team anywhere worth mentioning. This is a rebuilding year, or at least it should be, so I would prefer that they use a 1st round pick on a QB and start the rebuilding process with THAT quarterback. I would go QB, MLB or CB and then start the building from there. It all depends on what's available in Free Agency though. I am hoping that they can find some talented o-linemen in free agency so they can focus on young talent on some of their other areas of need. But, the next best thing would be to have Brees under center while they allow him to show this great group of receivers and tight ends what playing with a real quarterback is like. I can't see any player like Brees wanting to play out his career for a team that is clearly rebuilding, has the worst o-line in football and to top things off has passed on him about three other times.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FTLDOLFAN View Post
        There is a possibility that the Saints will release him this offseason since he is due to make $30 million in 2016 and the Saints will save $20 million against the salary cap by releasing him.

        He will be 37 years old next year. Its a shame we gave Tannehill that big contract this year or we would have a lot more cap space next year. Would you offer Brees a 2 year deal if he is released? He might have 2 good years left in him. The only problem is that will mean less money to spend on our o-line and defense.

        I think he would want to go somewhere where he can start. I don't think he would want to go to Cleveland. I think the 49ers are going to draft a QB.We should have a new HC and if its someone Brees likes he might decide to sign with Miami. I wonder if a 2 year $16 million would be enough.
        Tannehill's contract works to our favor, not against it. If he hit FA, his contract would have then hurt us as we'd be in a bidding war for him. That's why he was signed. Too much gets made of his contact when it's a more of a team friendly contract than people realize. He was going to make at least $16M regardless based on his rookie contract for a 1st round QB. He made $5M this season. Him making $11.6M next season is nothing to be upset about. That's the cost of having a 5 year starting QB. It's 2017 that it escalates and we can either honor it and retain him at a more reasonable $20M relative to his peers or cut him, so I have no idea why everyone keep bitching about his salary.

        No to Brees at this point. Use that money to fix the OL, DBs, and LBs. We already know Tannehill can perform when he has better OL protection and our DBs and LBs need a huge boost.

        None of the QBs in this class are sure things either, including Lynch and Goff. The 2017 or 2018 class will feature Patrick Mahomes out of Texas Tech. He's looking very special right now.

        I do expect us to bring in more competition. Moore needs to go. Now that guy is over paid.

        Comment


        • IMAWriter
          IMAWriter commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd have like this post twice if I could have.

      • #5
        Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post

        Tannehill's contract works to our favor, not against it. If he hit FA, his contract would have then hurt us as we'd be in a bidding war for him. That's why he was signed. Too much gets made of his contact when it's a more of a team friendly contract than people realize. He was going to make at least $16M regardless based on his rookie contract for a 1st round QB. He made $5M this season. Him making $11.6M next season is nothing to be upset about. That's the cost of having a 5 year starting QB. It's 2017 that it escalates and we can either honor it and retain him at a more reasonable $20M relative to his peers or cut him, so I have no idea why everyone keep bitching about his salary.

        No to Brees at this point. Use that money to fix the OL, DBs, and LBs. We already know Tannehill can perform when he has better OL protection and our DBs and LBs need a huge boost.

        None of the QBs in this class are sure things either, including Lynch and Goff. The 2017 or 2018 class will feature Patrick Mahomes out of Texas Tech. He's looking very special right now.

        I do expect us to bring in more competition. Moore needs to go. Now that guy is over paid.
        Let me put it to you this way. If we had not signed Tannehill to a contract extension this past offseason, he would become a free agent this offseason. Would you look to resign him? I know I wouldn't. Even if he will only count $11.6 million against our cap next year thats money we could have used to upgrade other areas of the team or perhaps sign Drew Brees to a short term deal if he becomes available as a bridge to our future and draft a QB in the early rounds in either 2016 or 2017.

        I do agree that Moore needs to go and we need more legitimate competition.

        Comment


        • #6
          You do anything and everything to move forward from this debacle.. I don't care if we take a hit on the cap, it doesn't matter, this FO will not benefit this team, this Coaching staff can not coach at a high level and the players that are currently on the roster are a bunch of over paid rejects....Blow it up! Burn it down and rebuild with people that know what they're doing.... Anything less than that, then be prepared for the Dolphins to shit themselves again in 2016... Have fun with that.......

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by FTLDOLFAN View Post

            Let me put it to you this way. If we had not signed Tannehill to a contract extension this past offseason, he would become a free agent this offseason. Would you look to resign him? I know I wouldn't. Even if he will only count $11.6 million against our cap next year thats money we could have used to upgrade other areas of the team or perhaps sign Drew Brees to a short term deal if he becomes available as a bridge to our future and draft a QB in the early rounds in either 2016 or 2017.

            I do agree that Moore needs to go and we need more legitimate competition.

            My friend, you're looking in hindsight. Teams don't have that luxury. What they did was the smart thing at the time for a QB who had improved each and every season. Tannehill was going to make a minimum of $16M a year based on the league contract for rookie 1st round QBs at this stage of their career as a starter. They signed him to basically $3M on average over what he was going to make and locked him into a contract less than what he would have made on the open market that they can walk away from at any time after 2016.

            And to answer your question, yes, I would have done the same thing AT THE TIME. That's a no lose situation for the team. Also, there were no real alternatives and until this season, he has been an ascending young QB. While he has a down season, they entire team has across the board. Find a better viable LONG TERM answer at QB and I can guarantee we'll dump him. Till then, he's here until 2017.

            Signing Drew Brees is not a realistic answer to anything. So we get better QB play next season - again depending on how well he's protected.

            Right now, we're drafting #8. IF we stick to drafting BPA as Tbaum/Hickey did last season, we could easily take a guy like Goff or Cook if they are there in the first. I'd be surprised if we passed up on one of Hargreaves, Ramsey, Smith, or Jack for a QB, but then again, no one saw us draft Phillips last season.

            And I'm all for competition at all the positions. I just wouldn't sign an old guy for a season or two who isn't going to give us 5+ years, especially an old QB to play behind this OL and these TEs.

            Let's see what we look like next season with new coaches and hopefully an improved OL and defense.

            YMMV.

            Happy Holidays.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by HndRkyaBong34 View Post
              You do anything and everything to move forward from this debacle.. I don't care if we take a hit on the cap, it doesn't matter, this FO will not benefit this team, this Coaching staff can not coach at a high level and the players that are currently on the roster are a bunch of over paid rejects....Blow it up! Burn it down and rebuild with people that know what they're doing.... Anything less than that, then be prepared for the Dolphins to shit themselves again in 2016... Have fun with that.......
              This will be Tbaums first complete off-season running the show. He's already fired an under achieving HC and all of Philbin's staff is likely gone in another month or two.

              Let's see what the FO and coaches look like by the draft. Can't wait till FA and the draft are here.

              Comment


              • #9
                Sorry, I don't agree. Tbaum will fail here as he did in NY. If he was that good, they wouldn't have fired him. Another reject that Miami hired at a reduced rate based on his (in)ability.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by Tarpon Guide View Post
                  Sorry, I don't agree. Tbaum will fail here as he did in NY. If he was that good, they wouldn't have fired him. Another reject that Miami hired at a reduced rate based on his (in)ability.
                  You don't win them all. He put together better teams with better coaching and rosters than we've had in 15 years. He couldn't find a QB and they still were within a game of the SB twice with Mark Sanchez. The bad contract decisions and failures to win it all were what did him in there. They've been a mess since he left though. Still he drafted mostly solid guys including a HOF'er in Revis. IF he can put together rosters and coaching as well here, I'm all for it.

                  YMMV.

                  Comment


                  • Tarpon Guide
                    Tarpon Guide commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hope so, but seriously doubt it.

                • #11
                  Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post

                  Tannehill's contract works to our favor, not against it. If he hit FA, his contract would have then hurt us as we'd be in a bidding war for him. That's why he was signed. Too much gets made of his contact when it's a more of a team friendly contract than people realize. He was going to make at least $16M regardless based on his rookie contract for a 1st round QB. He made $5M this season. Him making $11.6M next season is nothing to be upset about. That's the cost of having a 5 year starting QB. It's 2017 that it escalates and we can either honor it and retain him at a more reasonable $20M relative to his peers or cut him, so I have no idea why everyone keep bitching about his salary.

                  No to Brees at this point. Use that money to fix the OL, DBs, and LBs. We already know Tannehill can perform when he has better OL protection and our DBs and LBs need a huge boost.

                  None of the QBs in this class are sure things either, including Lynch and Goff. The 2017 or 2018 class will feature Patrick Mahomes out of Texas Tech. He's looking very special right now.

                  I do expect us to bring in more competition. Moore needs to go. Now that guy is over paid.
                  Lynch is very good. I agree next year will be the year, but I believe Clemson's Deshawn (sp) Watson is the most accurate thrower of the +40 yard pass I've seen in years, every bit as good as Luck, and more accurate than luck on the shorter stuff. Obviously, he's utilized similarly as RG3, but is a significantly better thrower. Imagine a more dangerous, and consistent QB than Tyrod Taylor. If he lasts till the 2nd round...I doubt he will, and Cleveland would be foolish not to take him, he would be a very good fit with an average O-line, due to his ability to get out of trouble.
                  Yes, there is ALWAYS the risk that QB's in the mold of RG3 will be busts, but watching this guy throw the football, it's as effortless as it was for Marino, though not quite the same release.

                  Everyone is predicting a Clemson loss against OU. I dislike Dabo Swinney intensely (I'm a Cane, after all) but the man can coach, and OU hasn't seen a defense like Clemson's. I believe Watson will outplay the slightly over-rated (good story) OU QB. That will be a MUCH better game than Alabama/MSU. That one will be brutal, the over/under at 35 or less.

                  Comment


                  • #12
                    NO...Miami is not a short term fix and Brees would be a short term band aide.

                    Comment


                    • #13
                      I'd rather try & trade for Tom Brady...To me this would be the ULTIMATE WIN-WIN PROPOSITION; he either miraculously turns us into an immediate winner OR we have the pleasure of watching him get the shit kicked out of him week-in, week-out behind our shitty line! Man, it don't get no better than that!!!

                      Comment

                      Unconfigured Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X