Why do we trust Grier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aqua,

I like Eisehbach (Spelling?) He is solid but not great... He played multiple years in college and only gave up one sack in three seasons playing for Notre Dame at a time when they did not suck and were playing in the college playoffs against top teams in the nation. I think a huge mistake was not made to move up one spot to get Williams and then we move up 8 or 10 spots to take a tackle that was not a pressing need for us.

I will admit I like Doak... I think he is a sleeper for sure... Big back... tons of power... cathes the football... tremendous blocker... I think there is a good chance he is the RB1 by the end of the season.

Back to the O line.... Our need at center was much more pressing than it was at right tackle or guard. Jesse Davis is an above average right guard and he is an above average right tackle.... He is healthy and he has proven he can be dependable. Hunt held his own as a rookie on the outside and the last 4 or 5 games next gen stats I think it was ranked him the #5 right tackle in football... So the more he played the better he got.

We could have landed a top center without moving up in the second round.... So if Grier felt he had the assets to move up then the player to move up for was clearly Williams and then... Grab one of the top centers.

I love the safety we got the kid can play.... He is athletic enough to be a nickel or a slot corner as well as play safety... He is a ball hungry player that can step up and help the run defense. All of that being said.... Williams was arguably the best running back in the draft and we let him slip away from us.... That is not something we should excuse.

Grier is not the right GM for this team

Comment

• AquaXI
      AquaXI commented
      Editing a comment
      I can see us targeting Center and RB early next year. I understand this FO may not value RB or even take one early typically but if the right fit comes along I believe they will pounce. Harris was that fit but We just couldn’t turn down Phillips sitting there.

• IMAWriter
      IMAWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      ET.Doaks won;t be able to get out of his way in the NFL. The AAC isn't what you'd call a top conference. I only saw one game with the Bearcats...nothing special did I see. The Fins signed a power back in FA. The Doaks signing was to appease the wolves howling for Grier's blood. The Eichenberg signing was due to the Flower's trade. Again, we'll mess with another O-Linemen, and attempt to convert him to guard. His body is all wrong for a guard, but when did that ever stop the Fins from playing musical chairs as regards the O-Line??? I call it the "Sparano-Philbin" maneuver.

Why do we trust Grier?
    Uh....I still remember all the "in Sparano we trust, in Philbin we trust, in Ireland we trust, in Fatty Tuna we trust, in Gase we trust..."
    In Flo we trust?? Good coach, another Bill O'Brien, as pseudo GM. A few of these picks have Flo's signature all over them. IMO. Respectfully, with goodwill unto men, member FDIC.

Comment

• Dlgrabs
      Dlgrabs commented
      Editing a comment
      My Title for post was not how I wish I had stated it. I like the direction Miami is going.

• Dlgrabs
      Dlgrabs commented
      Editing a comment
      I also think Grier and Flores seem more on the same page for building this team than previous coaches with Grier.

• Dlgrabs
      Dlgrabs commented
      Editing a comment
      Coach, Gase, not coaches.

In the 70s, for those of us who were lucky enough to be around, the Dolphins won because they bought into the premise that there wasn’t one guy that carried the team team. Our d was the no names for goodness sake. I believe Belicheat had the same philosophy, however he did have 12. It G and Flo can build with the philosophy that any player on the team can step up and take the spot, then we are looking to be in good shape. I’ll defer my opinion on Grier until I see where these guys fit in in January. Until then, Let’s go Dolphins!

Comment

• IMAWriter
      IMAWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      Well..I might slightly disagree. The 3 backs and Warfield carried the team...and Coach Shula. Also, as always, guys are the no names until the media...and hopefully excellent play makes their name a household name. But think...how many ex Fins deserve to be in the HOF and arent? While Steelers, Packers, Bears, Cowboys ARE. Mark Gastineau was a showboat, who made all pro teams based significantly on visibility. Jets games were always on national TV. Even in the olphins heyday, they were often taped delayed. (in Dallas, for instance). The "NoName Defense was born due to the media's reluctance to admit a team in their 5th year of existence was kicking ass over the "elite " teams. NY Press, etc. Unfortunately, it's not much better. Parker deserved to be in the ProBowl 2 years ago. Look at the NFL falling over themselves with Browns love...3 years now. 1 playoff win. Flo deserved COY last season...juggling QBs, no real run game, mediocre O-Line. Did more with less. Zach not in the HOF, Urlacher gets in with slightly lesser stats. Look at the Fins dbs given no respect over the years. It is what it is. Cheap talk about draft grades. Lets see the love when the Fins..if the Fins make the playoffs.

Writer,

I am not against Eichenberg.... I think he is better suited to be a guard... but that it is possible he can hang at right tackle. I think right now before the competitions in camp begin that Hunt should be penciled in as the #1 option at right tackle and Jesse Davis Penciled in as the right Guard.. I am more than glad that Eichenberg is there for depth and to push them in practice for playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by IMAWriter View Post
      Why do we trust Grier?
      Uh....I still remember all the "in Sparano we trust, in Philbin we trust, in Ireland we trust, in Fatty Tuna we trust, in Gase we trust..."
      In Flo we trust?? Good coach, another Bill O'Brien, as pseudo GM. A few of these picks have Flo's signature all over them. IMO. Respectfully, with goodwill unto men, member FDIC.
      After so many years of mediocrity, I can certainly understand your skepticism. I like what I have seen the last couple years but I'm not quite ready to sing Grier praises yet. I do feel we're headed in the right direction.

BTW, I still think Sparano would have been fine if he had been given a fair chance.
      While it takes two to have an argument, it only takes one to walk away.

Comment

• IMAWriter
        IMAWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        He messed up the O-Line, though not as badly as did Philbin, if memory serves. You were happy with a "fist pump?"

• Dolfan1
        Dolfan1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was happy with the way the team played for him, with heart. I think given a fair chance to get his own coaching staff in, some of his own players, etc, he would have had this team contending JMHO of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ADD0B327-85EE-4F05-A9FB-61568EE64D86.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	131077

Comment

• Idahomer
        Idahomer commented
        Editing a comment
        All the draft grades suggest that we should trust Grier... 🤷‍♂️ Just sayin..... Best overall draft grades I’ve ever seen in the decades I’ve followed the draft.

• IMAWriter
        IMAWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        Last seasons FA grade was A, by most of the same "experts". How would you "grade" it NOW..with a majority of those players gone, 17 million total cost for 1 year of Flowers...and Breida and Howard? Grades are meaningless, even if a team supposedly covered all the bases, filled all the holes. 54% of all 1st round picks are duds...play 3 years or less. 2nd and 3rd round less. Ironically, when the GM has gotten the hard part done, they will gamble in the latter rounds..and do better. I couldn't even grade the 2020 O-Line guys, due to lack of preseason, team time...and injuries. If I had to grade them now, Jackson is a C, Kindley a B, and Hunt B+. If Eichenberg is a B+, and Skura an A-, we have a line.
        We drafted 1 guy coming of a bad ankle break, and a DE with 3 concussions and other previous injuries. That A+ could easily be a C+ by end of year. We all hope NOT, and I believe they will be excellent. This would be the best draft since Grier took over. You just don't want to be drafted at 3/6 anymore.

• Idahomer
        Idahomer commented
        Editing a comment
        I would grade last years FA class an A still. We went from 5-11 to 10-6.. Our defense went from near the bottom of the league to near the top. The FA's we signed except for one all contributed to the great season we had. While the contracts were too rich the players were great for the most part. And even with big contracts the reason we moved on from so many of them after just one season, is we have younger players who look to be able to serve the same roles for much less $$. Also I don't blame the FO from moving on from players who are not playing up to their contract value. So of that FA group last year we only had the one real non contributor in Howard. Otherwise those FA helped us win, helped shape the rookie class from last year, added leadership in the locker room, and all in all were part of the success we had last year. Just because they won't be a Dolphin in 2021 doesn't mean they weren't a good signing in 2020,,

As for last years rookie class I don't think you can grade them yet. Your grades are fair for their rookie seasons, but we all know that most rookies make the jump in production between year 1 and year 2.. That's what AVW did, it's what Gaskin did.. I expect all of those guys on the line to play better this season than last season. And at the end of the day I will still go back to the fact that we doubled our win total with those new players. We are the youngest team in the NFL and just had another potentially great draft. We can always say if this or that.. I mean nothing says Pitts won't disappoint or Chase, or any of this years draft picks. Some may have season ending injuries in pre season. You never know what could happen to any of these picks or players for that matter. At the end of the day your record shows if you're a successful team or not, and 10-6 suggests we made great strides from the prior year. There are a lot of variables from schedule to other teams injuries etc.. But at the end of the day you can only judge this team by it's record, and it was a record that would send us to the playoffs in almost any other season.
        Last edited by Idahomer; 05-04-2021, 04:50 PM.

I would consider the free agent grade combined with the draft last year an "A" we won ten games and gave Buffalo all they could handle for the division. Flowers and Van Noy left after one season... But in truth much of that was due to the fact that other players developed like Hunt, Jackson, and Kindley... So the front office did the right thing this offseason and traded him to get salary off of the books beyond this season.

Several players were coached up and made tremendous strides to being useful parts for this football team... and that made Van Noy expendable also.

I do not consider the free agent class from last offseason to be anything less than our best in years.

Comment

• Dlgrabs
        Dlgrabs commented
        Editing a comment
        I can’t call a free agency an A when four of the six top signings are gone. They may have helped Miami get to 10 wins but not great signings. Van Noy, Lawson and Flowers played just as they played for their previous teams. Howard a dud. Think Grier and Flores were expecting great play beyond what they showed before. They weren’t disappointments compared to previous play. Just didn’t step it up

But like I stated before, I wished I wouldn’t have labeled post as not trusting Grier. Been a Fin fan since 70’s and never waiver, but I do complain! Lol. I like the direction of the team!

Comment

Eichenberg by many scouts is perfectly suited to transition to guard.... Fact

Comment

Wherever he ends up is fine as long as he competes and makes the decision who starts where even harder. Most competitive overall roster going into mini and training camp in a long time. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Etrius24 View Post
            Eichenberg by many scouts is perfectly suited to transition to guard.... Fact
            Why would we transition Eichenberg to OG? He was a very good OT at Notre Dame and he has the physique of an OT whereas Hunt has the physique of an OG and lacks the athleticism for the OT position, so it would seem natural to transition Hunt to OG.

Comment

• AquaXI
              AquaXI commented
              Editing a comment
              Wasn’t there concern with his shorter than normal arm length for OTs and smaller than normal hands? I could be wrong. Also those things I described should not be part of grades in real life, it’s if you can play the position!

I still don't understand the release of Flowers. I thought he played reasonably well last year. We only saved about $2M in cap space and we will incur $8M in dead money this year. Yes he was probably overpaid for the caliber of player that he is but why deplete our OL depth for such minimal cap savings?

Comment

• HndRkyaBong34
              HndRkyaBong34 commented
              Editing a comment
              FA Short term contracts and build through the Draft... Disappointed That the Grier didn’t recognize how valuable Harris would of been to Tua and Waddle and more importantly the Brand.. for the most part, the Draft was good if that can stay healthy but I would of signed Dupree long term 3yr deal Drafted Harris and Weaver.. Waddle, Phillips and Holland are great picks,, as long as Phillips Concussions don’t continue..., Doaks I really like the value and definitely my favorite sleeper pick of the draft..

• FTLDOLFAN
              FTLDOLFAN commented
              Editing a comment
              I actually didn't mind passing on Harris in favor of Phillips who was considered to be the best DE in the draft since that was such a desperate need. However we should have been more aggressive in going after Williams, knowing that there was a big drop off in this RB class after him and knowing that the Jets could have taken him with pick #34. We should have traded up with the Bucs at #32 or the Jags at #33. I think a swap of 3rd round picks with the Bucs moving down from #81 to #95 would have been enough or just giving up a 4th round pick next year to the Jags would have been enough.

Hopefully Holland will become a Pro Bowl Safety and Doaks turns out to be better than we think.

Flowers got released becAuse kindley showed he could step up and do what flowers did for ten million less per season. Yes I am paraphrasing get over it....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X