2021 Day 2 Draft Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Day 2 Draft Thread

This is day 2 of the Dolphin's 2021 NFL draft. Day 3 thread will follow after the current draft is finished.
    Does everyone like/dislike the choices made last night?
    Although I don't know much about either of the 2 picks from last night, my reaction will follow at some point. This way I cant loose.

With both Pitts & Chase off the board I'm pretty stoked the way the draft unfolded. I was all over Waddle before he got hurt & missed most of last season, but he's a serious threat to score EVERY time he touches the ball. I just figured he'd be there in the 9 to 11 range.

I'm all-in on the Phillips pick! The guy is a serious stud & playmaker. If (and I know it's a BIG IF here) he stays healthy he could be a piece that gets our D over the top & closer to elite status..

Comment

• Idahomer
      Idahomer commented
      Editing a comment
      Believe it or not I posted in the "bold predictions" thread that Waddle would be our pick at #6 and that was their guy all along. Grier for the second year in a row had everyone thinking they knew but they didn't lol.. Then I deleted it and went with the safe prediction that none of my prior predictions would come true. Got that right lol.. After sleeping on it, I think Waddle was the right pick over Smith and even Chase. We have such diverse skill sets now in that room, and we have two of the fastest WR's in the NFL on our team now. Who's that safety going to be cheating towards?
      Last edited by Idahomer; 04-30-2021, 12:12 PM.

Hi guys,
    Well I have made peace with the pick 6 situation and the Waddle pick and I am in...said my piece last night. He could be very special and is super dynamic when on his game....i worry a bit about the lingering effect of a high ankle fracture/ dislocation. Take 1.5 secs off his timed speed and he is just another 5'10" 180 pound receiver that was not his teams primary receiver and never caught 1,000 yards in a season, picked at 6. But, He and Fuller and Parker on the field at the same time is a scary proposition.

Phillips is the best edge guy in the draft and combines serious athleticism with the shake and bake that makes linemen cry. But if I were King I would have taken him off the board. 3 concussions to start an NFL career is just too much risk for the team and just not humanitarian. Someone would have picked him and it is his life, so I truly hope we are not watching Theisman like tape over and over with a stretcher and head wrap carting this guy off the field. So I put on my winning hat and will watch this guy live in QB shorts for as many years as he can and root for him to retire healthy and sane.

Tonight, JOK, a perfect fit for our D and a playmaker. Wanted him at 18 so 2nd round I would consider it a steal. After that we have a good selection of many need positions. OL can and should be bolstered by any one or two of Dickerson, Humphrey, Jenkins, Mayfield, Meinerz, Eichenberg, Cosmi. And of course RB to get. Man i wish we could take JOK and J. Williams with pick 36, Lol.

Bolton, Cox, Werner for LB depth. Basham or Weaver for more DE/Edge help. Melefonwu or Adebo for CB depth.

There are many good players still left. This is a pretty deep draft. We need more picks, LOL.

Comment

• AquaXI
      AquaXI commented
      Editing a comment
      If we get JOK then we can pretend we got him at 18 and Phillips at 36. Same smell and a homerun!

• Idahomer
      Idahomer commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm right with you Kato. This draft has the potential to be a home run A+ or a bust. Waddle has some risk, but not as much as Phillips. If both stay on the field we could have two pro bowlers. This was the definition of High Risk High Reward lol. As for Waddle I had total blinders on for Smith. I was so keyed into this season and what he did after Waddle got hurt that I dismissed what Waddle did pre injury and last season. Looking at his highlight tapes versus Smith and they are just two different guys. We picked the dynamic speedster with huge playmaking potential. We have Fuller who can play the role Smith would have, and we have Parker and Williams to provide the possession/redzone/jump ball guys for Tua. Then we have Gesecki who has improved and will now become a must sign this offseason. Guys this is a dynamic group of WR's. Phillips is a flat out beast if he's on the field. If he's on the field.. If he's on the field.. For some reason I can't get that last thought out of my head when trying to be excited about this pick. I pray his concussion history doesn't haunt him because if he's on the field he disrupts an offense as much as any defender in this draft. A year when 5 QB's go in the top 15 picks, and 4 WR's go in that same time span is the only time a guy like Phillips makes it out of the top 10. Remove this unprecedented run on WR's and QB's and his injury risk and the guys a top 5 pick every draft.. Unfortunately that risk is hanging over him every snap. Scares me..

All in on Williams for me

Comment

Originally posted by PhinPhan68 View Post
      All in on Williams for me
      I dont think we will take Williams even if he is there at #36. I think we are targeting the OL, JOK or Moehrig with this pick. If we go OL then Jenkins and Cosmi would be my preferences.

Looking at the teams selecting from #37 and #49 I think there is a decent chance that Williams slides to us at #50. My biggest concern would be the Cardinals at #49 who need a RB. I would hope Grier trades up over them if Williams does slide.

Comment

Originally posted by FTLDOLFAN View Post

I dont think we will take Williams even if he is there at #36. I think we are targeting the OL, JOK or Moehrig with this pick. If we go OL then Jenkins and Cosmi would be my preferences.

Looking at the teams selecting from #37 and #49 I think there is a decent chance that Williams slides to us at #50. My biggest concern would be the Cardinals at #49 who need a RB. I would hope Grier trades up over them if Williams does slide.
        Nole has been saying it for awhile now that Carter could very well be their RB target and has been from day one. The time spent with him at the senior bowl was obviously an opportunity for them to get as in-depth with him as any team could. He was basically as productive as Williams at NC, just a different style of back. With the addition of Brown maybe that one cut and run you over back isn't what they think they need now. Maybe they think a more elusive, "skat" back type is a better fit for what this offense wants to do. It's just hard to know for sure. Carter at 50 or even 81 may just be what we end up hoping for after the first half hour tonight.

If Carter is a phin, it really is a great value pick as much as we will all hate it.. A guy with his production in the 3rd round can only be considered a good value pick for us. Not what we all want, but a very solid pick and a guy that has as much as a chance to be a star RB in this league as the other 3 we all covet.

Getting a combination of LB/C/Carter may end up being better then Williams, a lower rated LB or C.. Theme for every draft.. Only time will tell..
        Last edited by Idahomer; 04-30-2021, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Thinking JOK has slid for a reason

Nobody knows where to play him

Too slow for a safety and too small for a LB

I can not see Williams making it to 50

Hope you are correct tho

Comment

• AquaXI
            AquaXI commented
            Editing a comment
            One mock has Williams going 49 to Cards. Ouch!

• PhinPhan68
            PhinPhan68 commented
            Editing a comment
            If he is on the board and Phins do not take him

Grrrrrrr

Hope you are correct tho
          Agree with you on JOK. I was all for him, but on the FB page one of the guys who knows his stuff and I respect a lot talked about him being a tweener and a guy that will get eaten up in the NFL by pulling guards and big bodies. He's better suited for a big strong safety in the NFL, but his size is a liability there as well.

Comment

Hope you are correct tho
            JOK was supposed to be taken in the low to mid 20s. I would think he is the kind of LB a defense would covet, fast and can cover these new age freak TE's. Maybe his size is a concern at 215 lbs although Darius Leonard is about the same size, but JOK is not as physical as Leonard.

Moehrig could be a nice chess piece for our defense, sort of a poor man's version of Minkah.

I could also see us going OL since need more help there. Just please not Mayfield who had an injury history at Michigan.

From picks #37 to #48 I really don't see any team in need of a RB until the Cardinals at #49. I might even consider trading down a little to pick up a 4th round pick since we don't have a pick between #81 and #156. Then take Williams in the high 30s or low 40s.

Comment

• Etrius24
              Etrius24 commented
              Editing a comment
              The Jets and Falcons could both use a RB Worried Williams will not fall to us at 36

• FTLDOLFAN
              FTLDOLFAN commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes the Jets and Falcons could take Williams. I just meant if he makes it past them then he could slide.

JOK was supposed to be taken in the low to mid 20s. I would think he is the kind of LB a defense would covet, fast and can cover these new age freak TE's. Maybe his size is a concern at 215 lbs although Darius Leonard is about the same size, but JOK is not as physical as Leonard.

Moehrig could be a nice chess piece for our defense, sort of a poor man's version of Minkah.

I could also see us going OL since need more help there. Just please not Mayfield who had an injury history at Michigan.

From picks #37 to #48 I really don't see any team in need of a RB until the Cardinals at #49. I might even consider trading down a little to pick up a 4th round pick since we don't have a pick between #81 and #156. Then take Williams in the high 30s or low 40s.
            Not that it means much but he was 221 at his Pro Day. There is a small element of doubt due to "his slide", but we see this every year. He could also just be a victim of team needs and how the draft unfolded. Also 36 could be the exact spot he fits into. The sports world is filled withall star "tweeners".

Comment

Bleacher report went off the reservation with their mock for the 2nd and 3rd rds. they have Williams falling all the way to the Bucs at #95. No way in hell.
              While it takes two to have an argument, it only takes one to walk away.

Comment

• PhinPhan68
                PhinPhan68 commented
                Editing a comment
                They are smoking the good stuff over there

• Driven_Phinsane!
                Driven_Phinsane! commented
                Editing a comment
                If it's really good stuff they probably think we're laughing with them not at them!

Today I will be happy with a RB, C/G, T, or LB.. I think all are needs and if we address 3 of those 4 spots I think we had a very solid draft that fills every need we all identified. Maybe not with the player we think, but the needs will have been addressed for the second year straight. We still have a lot of picks over the next two drafts to finish the rebuild and hopefully have one of the youngest, most talented teams in the NFL.

Comment

You could be right but I just don't see Williams sliding, I'd actually be surprised if he makes it to 36, where I'm sure we'll pass on him anyway..

I do like the thought of grabbing JOK if by some strange reason he's still there at 36 as many of us thought he'd be a good option at 18..

All that being said,, I still see us grabbing an OT..and it'll probably be one you have with a 4th or 5th round grade, lol..

Comment

Matt Cannata
                  @CannataPFN
                  ·
                  1h
                  I know the Dolphins want a running back. I know they want a center. I'm hearing that the Jets won't stand in the way when it comes to Javonte Williams. Will he make it to Miami? More importantly, if he does, will he be the pick?

Please let it be true and please let the answer be yes he will be the pick.. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Idahomer View Post
                    Matt Cannata
                    @CannataPFN
                    ·
                    1h
                    I know the Dolphins want a running back. I know they want a center. I'm hearing that the Jets won't stand in the way when it comes to Javonte Williams. Will he make it to Miami? More importantly, if he does, will he be the pick?

Please let it be true and please let the answer be yes he will be the pick.. lol
                    It is not much to ask for, right ?

Williams and a Center and most will be happy
                    Last edited by PhinPhan68; 04-30-2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Idahomer
                      Idahomer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's definitely not too much to ask for. I was home for lunch and watching NFLN.. They seem to think he will be a Dolphin at 36 if he's not gone before then. Atlanta really needs to get a CB with their next pick and there are a couple good ones there. The Jets are the biggest WC. They want a RB, need a RB, and will probably draft a RB. The question is where. If they let Williams slide he'll be there for Miami. Miami likes him a lot from everything people are saying. They had a lot of contact through zoom meetings and he is very high on their list, only slightly behind Harris from what I'm hearing. Now is he going to be the top guy on their board at 36.. That is not clear, but what is clear is Miami will draft that BPA at #36 just like they did at #18. Whether we agree that player was BPA at that spot is another story lol..

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X