• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New WR for the Phins?

2. WR Allen Robinson II

9 OF 10

Phelan M. Ebenhack/Associated Press
    Chicago Bears wideout Allen Robinson II should be atop the wish list of many receiver-needy teams this offseason. He dealt with a dreadful quarterback situation in Chicago in 2020—the tandem of Nick Foles and Mitchell Trubisky was the envy of no team—and still finished with 1,250 receiving yards and six touchdowns.

Robinson also had a 1,400-yard, 14-touchdown season in 2015—when he was catching passes from Blake Bortles with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Teams will either be eager to see what Robinson can accomplish with a consistent quarterback under center or will look for him to support their own questionable quarterback situations.

The Miami Dolphins somewhat fall into both categories. They seem to believe that Tua Tagovailoa can develop into a franchise signal-caller, but the second-year Alabama product remains relatively unproven. Adding a wideout like Robinson would go a long way toward unearthing Tagovailoa's true potential.

Pairing Robinson with DeVante Parker could give the Dolphins an explosive wideout tandem and help make them a legitimate threat in the AFC. Miami was a 10-win team in 2020 and should intrigue Robinson as well, though that alone won't get a deal done.

Expect Robinson to be among the league's five highest-paid receivers in terms of annual salary next season.

Prediction: Robinson signs four-year, $84 million deal with Miami.

Thoughts? I still prefer to get one in the Draft.
    While it takes two to have an argument, it only takes one to walk away.

Wish these players and agents realize there is a salary cap in the NFL. How are you supposed to build a team if you have a $21 million WR?

Comment

• IMAWriter
      IMAWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      And the top 2 highest paid corners? Jeg...those years your "other team" the Jests had Mike Tannenbaum..he bankrupted them...and came pretty durn close to doing the same in Miami. My nightmare is the Fins somehow acquiring BOTH Robinson and Watson. They'd have to play their games at Tropical Park...as they wouldn't be able to afford Joe Robbie's rent!

I love A-Rob; great talent & seemingly very humble guy..My problem is that he doesn't exactly fit the mold for the type of receiver we should be looking for.

Also, he'll command a seriously high contract on the open-market & high-priced FA WR's rarely seem to pan out..

Comment

Would rather spend a draft pick on a WR than $21M

He is super talented but that price tag is ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by PhinPhan68 View Post
        Would rather spend a draft pick on a WR than $21M

He is super talented but that price tag is ridiculous
        I agree. We already have Parker who is really a #2 WR. The top 3 rated WR's in the draft all project as #1's, Smith, Chase and Waddle. So lets draft one of them and have them on the relative cheap for the next 4 years. I think we can sign one of the better free agent pass rushers for much less than $21M. That also leaves us some money to sign a couple more moderately priced free agents.

Comment

Originally posted by FTLDOLFAN View Post

I agree. We already have Parker who is really a #2 WR. The top 3 rated WR's in the draft all project as #1's, Smith, Chase and Waddle. So lets draft one of them and have them on the relative cheap for the next 4 years. I think we can sign one of the better free agent pass rushers for much less than $21M. That also leaves us some money to sign a couple more moderately priced free agents.
          Agreed

Phins are not one WR away from being a contender

They are in position to nab one of the top 3 WRs or top TE

Lets see what Tua can do before spending all this money on toys

Comment

It may not be the right decision for several reasons. The one I find most compelling is evaluating exactly where we should invest limited FA budget vs. Getting a same position player in the draft. Who is better first, and then maybe who is cheaper. I have said this before but I dont care what they pay these athletes....i just want to see them play on the telly. Its not my money.

Comment

Not a single vote in favor of this so far. Hope our FO is thinking like we all seem to be.
              While it takes two to have an argument, it only takes one to walk away.

Comment

You know what they say? Grier always goes opposite of what we want ( well almost ) so Welcome to the team Mr. Robinson! Your state income is tax free, hoping you invest in a big house and not a night club ha!
                The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

Build through the draft, if you’re going to pay big money, pay the skilled Fat Boyz....Dline/Oline they’re hard to come by....

Comment

Good lord. We’re picking at 3 and can have a top flight#1 receiver. Why grab this retread.

Comment

Originally posted by JEGnj View Post
                      Wish these players and agents realize there is a salary cap in the NFL. How are you supposed to build a team if you have a $21 million WR?

honestly probably most players and agents don’t care they just trying to get paid...

Comment

• JEGnj
                        JEGnj commented
                        Editing a comment
                        100% agreed but when is the breaking point? $500 million for Mahomes. average starters getting $35 mil. MLB now handing out $300+.

• Mk613
                        Mk613 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah it's crazy

So, the choice is to draft one of the top 3 WR's who have the draft OR, sign a WR like Robinson and Godwin who are already proven NFL top WR's or Samuels who is VG so far AND get a top 8 talent. I also believe Lawson is an easier sign with Samuels.

Money is not an issue as we can afford it and the NFL does not give teams anything t help be a contender for keeping money in the bank. However, adding 2 top players in place of 1 can do this.

TUFF choice.
                      Last edited by So Be; 03-02-2021, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I know it's not a popular stance, but I am against drafting a receiver in the top 10. I see good receivers, but I don't see a Johnson, Fitzgerald, or Jones. Doesn't mean someone can't become that kind of player, but I don't see it coming out of college. IMO sign a free agent WR and draft 1 or 2.

I'm still on the sign Samuels and draft a receiver in round 1b - 2b that is primarily a outside receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by ONole1 View Post
                          I know it's not a popular stance, but I am against drafting a receiver in the top 10. I see good receivers, but I don't see a Johnson, Fitzgerald, or Jones. Doesn't mean someone can't become that kind of player, but I don't see it coming out of college. IMO sign a free agent WR and draft 1 or 2.

I'm still on the sign Samuels and draft a receiver in round 1b - 2b that is primarily a outside receiver.
                          Like most, I'm sure I will flip-flop back & forth till our picks are called out on draft day, at which point I will resort to moaning & bitching..

Currently I'm thinking it would be great if we could sign Samuel in free agency, trade back a few spots from 3, take Parsons with 1a & nab Waddle with 1b..

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X