No announcement yet.

Top Draft Opt Outs- How Will They Look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Draft Opt Outs- How Will They Look?

A number of the top draft picks this year chose to opt out of playing in 2020 due to covid and most are on Miami's radar. They include Sewell, Chase, Parsons, Farley, Rousseau, Bateman and Slater. No one has seen them play for a year. What shape are they in? What did they do for a year?

I have no specific answers but, general info which gives some insight. Agents would come to players who opted out and ask if they want to leave school. They provide a very nice apartment in warm weather, a dietician and special food, state of the art workouts and extended stays with companies who do nothing but prepare players for the combine and NFL draft. I do not know how many did this but, how could you not?

How good are the above players, all 1st round pick talent going in, gonna look now? They could "Raise The Roof" at pro days and the Dolphins are sitting right in the middle of this with 2 first round picks.

Don't get me wrong, I am somewhat old school and there is no replacement for competition and being part of a team. However, this may prove me wrong.

Your thoughts?

Very good point and post Mr. Sobe. I have wondered the same but have never listed out all the guys that we may want and need to see that they all took a break on the season.....i was going to use the word "flier" on the season, but that connotes something reckless and speculative, where as you point out these decisions were anything but and they could have done many actions to negate and even enhance their standing. Still, as you say there is no substitute for game tape. We shall see if these were wise decisions or if they are graded down because of it.

If I was king, I would REALLY want to know what they did with their time, and why. A guy who got bigger and stronger, and worked at his craft in a professional environment would be hard to mark down. That, and the lessening of wear and tear on the body might just overcome a comparison to an equally good player who stuck out the season and played above or beyond expectations.

You have possibly almost the top of our board for Round 1 on that short list.......As for me, I am convinced that any one of those guys would be great picks @ 3 and 18

Comment

Originally posted by Kato View Post
      Very good point and post Mr. Sobe. I have wondered the same but have never listed out all the guys that we may want and need to see that they all took a break on the season.....i was going to use the word "flier" on the season, but that connotes something reckless and speculative, where as you point out these decisions were anything but and they could have done many actions to negate and even enhance their standing. Still, as you say there is no substitute for game tape. We shall see if these were wise decisions or if they are graded down because of it.

If I was king, I would REALLY want to know what they did with their time, and why. A guy who got bigger and stronger, and worked at his craft in a professional environment would be hard to mark down. That, and the lessening of wear and tear on the body might just overcome a comparison to an equally good player who stuck out the season and played above or beyond expectations.

You have possibly almost the top of our board for Round 1 on that short list.......As for me, I am convinced that any one of those guys would be great picks @ 3 and 18
      The Pro Days and interviews can move each of them up or down and it is all we will have to go on. I am somewhat fearful that the workouts and play this year will be as good or better for most than if they would have played. Just think of the effect on college ball let alone that of millions of mock drafters who will not see the top picks and have to go on "yesterday's paper" to base their opinion. IMO, brings us a step closer to eliminating the rookie wage scale restriction and possible the draft as we know it.

As we all anxiously await your "perfect draft," are you considering the Pro Days as well as Free Agency? Add in where we are gonna pick to start if ya like. :-)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X