Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep Tua But Draft QB #3

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-its-too...op-quarterback

When we run simulations for career outcomes for Tagovailoa and the No. 3 pick together, we see that chance that either ends up a 50th percentile franchise quarterback rises to 55% from 32% with Tagovailoa alone. And the chance that a truly elite 75th percentile outcome occurs, like Tony Romo or Andrew Luck, more than doubles to 21% from 10%. There’s even a material chance that both quarterbacks hit at least the 50th percentile, leaving the Dolphins with a trade asset down the road potentially worth more than the bounty they could have received for trading out of the No. 3 pick.

Implementing this dual-quarterback approach won’t be easy, but that shouldn't be enough to stop the Dolphins from maximizing their chance to fill the most critical role in football. Teams don’t often have the opportunity to draft legitimate top QB prospects, and currently having a question mark at the position from the last draft isn't a good reason to pass on doing so. The Dolphins are playoff competitive with mediocre quarterback play this season, and their ability to max out wins with the roster will primarily be determined by locking in the highest possible level of play at the position. That’s why they shouldn’t hesitate to turn in the card for a top quarterback prospect if the opportunity presents itself in the 2021 draft.

Good read from PFF on another Miami option at #3. Drafting Fields makes sense but, does have some shortcomings in not getting a top WR and/or more top picks with a top position player Signing a top FA WR and DE would compensate a lot. I like the idea.

Last edited by So Be; 02-15-2021, 10:39 AM.

I've tossed that very idea around,, it's a great idea if a) you really believe Justin Fields or Zach Wilson (provided the Jets or a trade-partner of the Jets don't take the QB you have your eye on) has a high probability of becoming a star & b) you really think you can afford to make a move like this..

We have so many needs & to use the 3 pick on a QB the year after we used the 5 pick on our 'future' would be an absolute ballsy move to make, I don't see Grier & Co. even contemplating it..
    Last edited by Driven_Phinsane!; 02-15-2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

That's a very unique idea and I am not against it at all. When are we ever going to have a shot at back to back top 5 picks.? The question is, who is the QB you want to select while passing on top tier talent elsewhere.

Comment

Justin Fields

QB
        Ohio State Buckeyes

Height 6' 3"
        Weight 228
        Class Jr.
        Draft Eligible Yea r2021

The Bottom Line

Top-5
        Fields obviously put some "bad" on tape this year, but talent should win out in this evaluation. He's got a complete skill set.

Biggest Strength

Accuracy

Biggest Weakness

Processing Speed

Pros
        • Has ever been anything other than deadly accurate in college.
        • Exceptional at protecting the football. Only 18 turnover-worthy plays in his career.
        • Dynamic in the running game. Can run over defensive backs and outrun linebackers.
        • Consistently attacked downfield, as 69.9% of passing yards came through the air.

Cons
        • Play speed a tick slower than where you'd like. When in doubt, he holds the ball.
        • Receivers run wild in Ohio State's offense. Only 54 career tight-window completions.
        • Blitz recognition was an issue in 2020. His time to throw increased vs. blitz.
        • He's mobile, but his accuracy suffered on the move. Won more from the pocket.

NFL Comparison

A Smaller Cam Newton

Comment

Just say no to Fields.

Comment

• So Be
            So Be commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you be a little more vague? :-)

Originally posted by Driven_Phinsane! View Post
          I've tossed that very idea around,, it's a great idea if a) you really believe Justin Fields or Zach Wilson (provided the Jets or a trade-partner of the Jets don't take the WB you have your eye on) has a high probability of becoming a star & b) you really think you can afford to make a move like this..

We have so many needs & to use the 3 pick on a QB the year after we used the 5 pick on our 'future' would be an absolute ballsy move to make, I don't see Grier & Co. even contemplating it..
          I believe Grier & Flo are seriously considering it. Analyze this plan.

Sign Godwin (24) in FA the NFL's leading WR a year ago or, Robinson a NFL proven #1 or, a lessor but VG and NFL proven WR.

Sign Lawson (25) in FA. The DE had as many pressures as Ogbah, can stop the run and makes Parsons less attractive.

Both are better than anyone we could get at their positions in the draft and chances are the second or third choices are as well.

We still get a top DB, LB or even another WR at #18, still get our RB at #36 and have 3 #1 picks with the top FA signing expected to show their stuff.

"IF" Tua is the One, Fields does not play much and IMO is worth two #1's next year.

Where are the other needs?

Comment

• Driven_Phinsane!
            Driven_Phinsane! commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a solid plan & one that if everything falls into place, would cover most all of our needs. Problem is, when considering the Fins, when has everything fallen into place??

• So Be
            So Be commented
            Editing a comment
            It really doesn't have to. There are A TON of VG WR's in this year's FA We could end up with the 9th best one, with Many teams cap strapped to do anything, and add a Hilton or others for a year. Being "Dolphinesque" cannot kill getting a VG WR.

• Driven_Phinsane!
            Editing a comment
            I wouldn't say a ton, & I'm thinking the 9th option wouldn't be that much better than what we have. Imo, only a certain type of Wideout fits with what we truly need, a good route runner with excellent hands who can get separation off the line. Probably only 2 or 3 guys available who fit the bill & no guarantees we get one. I used to love TY Hilton but I'm not sure he's got a ton left in the tank..Also, WR is just one need we need to hit on, you listed the others in your earlier post,, that's what I meant when I said everything has to fall into place..

Originally posted by 61finfan View Post
          That's a very unique idea and I am not against it at all. When are we ever going to have a shot at back to back top 5 picks.? The question is, who is the QB you want to select while passing on top tier talent elsewhere.
          True story Stuart and we would not be here now if not for some dumb luck in Houston sucking. Maybe the Football Gods felt sorry for us after seeing Tua's struggles. Fields is likely and Wilson is the other possibility. Both have franchise potential but, have their shortcomings to be fixed, kinda like Herbert who was rated a bit below both.

Some Phans love Tua and think he will be the Franchise QB we need. Others are overly disappointed in last year and want him replaced. Both are wrong but, either could be right.

Phans in the middle reality think Tua was not recovered from injury and needs another chance but, want to cover our asses in case he does not. Like soo many here posed over the years "We have to keep drafting a QB until we get the right one." or something very close. We are not sure we have the right one.

Comment

Hey Joe, I know you're a huge fan of Fields, but as far as I'm concerned there's a HUGE BUYER BEWARE Sign connected to Ohio State QB's; similar to Alabama QB's, their level of surrounding talent & the huge divide in the level of their competition makes them all look like World Beaters, till they get to the NFL where they're just Average Joe's (or possibly Justin in this case)

Comment

I have no problem drafting a backup later in the draft but this rebuild is to important and we need playmakers. I would love to see Tua get a full off season as QB1 to work with the team and get into a groove.

Comment

Originally posted by Driven_Phinsane! View Post
                Hey Joe, I know you're a huge fan of Fields, but as far as I'm concerned there's a HUGE BUYER BEWARE Sign connected to Ohio State QB's; similar to Alabama QB's, their level of surrounding talent & the huge divide in the level of their competition makes them all look like World Beaters, till they get to the NFL where they're just Average Joe's (or possibly Justin in this case)
                Actually Bill, I am not, the only two QB's I was huge fans of recently were Josh Allen and Herbert. However, I see him or Wilson as the best option to our current problem and do think he can be special.

I believe this team can possibly win a playoff game this year WITH a legit QB. "IF" Tua is not recovered or injured, who do we turn to?

Comment

Originally posted by JEGnj View Post
                  I have no problem drafting a backup later in the draft but this rebuild is to important and we need playmakers. I would love to see Tua get a full off season as QB1 to work with the team and get into a groove.
                  That is a fair 2nd option or, we could pay for a vet like Tyrod Taylor. If we sign a top WR in FA we are not drafting a WR , still get our RB and IF Tua is still hurting have a "playmaking "QB to step in. What can be more important?

Comment

Originally posted by So Be View Post

Actually Bill, I am not, the only two QB's I was huge fans of recently were Josh Allen and Herbert. However, I see him or Wilson as the best option to our current problem and do think he can be special.

I believe this team can possibly win a playoff game this year WITH a legit QB. "IF" Tua is not recovered or injured, who do we turn to?
                    Believe me, I get it..I am very, very unsure of Tua & while I wasn't a fan of Herbert's & was glad we took Tua over him, I'm wondering now if I'll (we'll ALL) live to regret that decision..

In answer to your question, I haven't a clue..I'm hoping Tua is in the weightroom as we speak, working his ass off to get back to his old pre-hip injury self, we get him some serious weapons this off-season & we cross our fingers,, that's all I got...

Comment

• So Be
                      So Be commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Whatever happens, I DO NOT WANT A FA RB. I think we can agree there. lol

• Driven_Phinsane!
                      Editing a comment
                      Lol...although, generally speaking my QB evaluation skills pretty much suck as well..

Totally against. Either you trade Tua and go with Fields or Wilson at 3 or stick to Tua! Stick to one guy and give them the weapons and tools to succeed.
                    The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

IF, and that's a big IF Miami decided to take another QB at #3 it would be Lance IMO. I think he has the most potential to be the next Patrick Mahomes type of QB. With that being said I don't see it happening. I have seen from a couple of different people now that Carolina trades up with Miami to take Lance. Lance could sit for a year behind Bridgewater then take over.

I think that's a good spot, I believe at #8 Miami would still have their choice of Smith, Waddle, or Parsons.

Comment

The pick a QB at #3, to me makes no sense IF you just make the Watson deal. That's a 100% sure thing...if getting a great young QB is driving your engine. Negotiate the Watson deal to allow for the 18th pick to remain the Dolphins, in return for giving up the 1st and 2nd in 2022. So the Texans get the #3, 36 THIS year, the 1st and 2nd round picks NEXT year. Tua stays in Miami. Remember, the Texans are NOT in the best bargaining position. If John Lynch was the GM, the deal would get done. I haven't the faith in Grier to make this deal happen.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X