Does Miami Really Need A LB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Miami Really Need A LB

Last year, Dolphins had Baker, KVN, Lawson, and AVG playing LB or did they?

AVG played 479 snaps but, 469 were up n the line.

Lawson played 571 snaps but, 559 were up on the line.

KVN played 811 snaps but, 571 were up on the line.

Baker played 868 snaps but, 240 were up on the line.

Over the course of the year there are about 1,000 snaps on D. Phins had one LB in Baker who was in the box for 577 (dropped in cover some) and another in KVN who was in the box for 224. Other than a bit of fill in from Roberts, G-Hill and Sam E, that was it. It's about enough snaps for one full time LB but, Baker and KVN are still here. I did not know this and thank my final 2 weeks of covid boredom to finding out.

Now, I see no reason to look at Parsons on the top and any LB with top picks unless BPA.

Thoughts?

I'm also doing a work op on our front 7 with ranks, snaps and pressure and stuff to try and get a clearer picture of real needs on D. Should be done soon.

Comment

Originally posted by So Be View Post
      Last year, Dolphins had Baker, KVN, Lawson, and AVG playing LB or did they?

AVG played 479 snaps but, 469 were up n the line.

Lawson played 571 snaps but, 559 were up on the line.

KVN played 811 snaps but, 571 were up on the line.

Baker played 868 snaps but, 240 were up on the line.

Over the course of the year there are about 1,000 snaps on D. Phins had one LB in Baker who was in the box for 577 (dropped in cover some) and another in KVN who was in the box for 224. Other than a bit of fill in from Roberts, G-Hill and Sam E, that was it. It's about enough snaps for one full time LB but, Baker and KVN are still here. I did not know this and thank my final 2 weeks of covid boredom to finding out.

Now, I see no reason to look at Parsons on the top and any LB with top picks unless BPA.

Thoughts?

Well our run defense is not very good. So we either need better D-line play or better LB play. I would not take Parsons either since I believe WR is a bigger need and an elite WR will make more of an impact than an elite LB. So I think WR Chase is the best way to go with our top pick.

The #18 pick will depend on who is available. We could address our D-line there with either Paye or Rousseau. We could also take a RB there, likely Harris. What do you think about LB Collins there?

Comment

Originally posted by FTLDOLFAN View Post

Well our run defense is not very good. So we either need better D-line play or better LB play. I would not take Parsons either since I believe WR is a bigger need and an elite WR will make more of an impact than an elite LB. So I think WR Chase is the best way to go with our top pick.

The #18 pick will depend on who is available. We could address our D-line there with either Paye or Rousseau. We could also take a RB there, likely Harris. What do you think about LB Collins there?
        Our D finished #12 vs the run with Davis not playing much and taking over NT untl game # 7. Huge difference and he will be better as well as MANY new faces adapting on the fly. Cannot see a RB or LB at 18. DB more likely or maybe WR, pending the top.

Comment

Please, not another DB. If Iggy is all that as many claim, get some help on Offense...either another receiver, OLine, big DT to offset the loss of Godchaux or Rousseau

Comment

Originally posted by So Be View Post

Our D finished #12 vs the run with Davis not playing much and taking over NT untl game # 7. Huge difference and he will be better as well as MANY new faces adapting on the fly. Cannot see a RB or LB at 18. DB more likely or maybe WR, pending the top.
            What about Noah? We invested a first round pick on a DB last year. I don't want to wait until #18 to address WR. The big 3 Chase Smith and Waddle will be gone. I dont think we will get a difference maker waiting until the 2nd tier of WR's in this draft.

My hope is that Kwity Paye were to somehow drop to us at #18. I might even consider trading up a bit for him even if that costs us our 3rd round pick.

Then trade down a bit from #36 and take RB Williams there.

Then with pick #50 we could go in many different directions depending on who is available.

Comment

• So Be
              So Be commented
              Editing a comment
              Noah can take over slot cover which leaves FS open as I see McCain moving on. Coverage was an overall disappointment last year. Other than X, nothing special. Jones should come around and Noah should show his talent. Surtain would be nice.

Originally posted by IMAWriter View Post
            Please, not another DB. If Iggy is all that as many claim, get some help on Offense...either another receiver, OLine, big DT to offset the loss of Godchaux or Rousseau
            I have help on O with a FA WR and another 2nd, a RB at 36 and a C. Godchaux was not missed as Seiler was a lot better. I like the OL as is other than maybe a C and one to develop a year or two. Rousseau of Kwitty would be great but, not seeing it now unless they drop.

Comment

LOL - Parsons has been compared to Luke Kuechly. A 3 down LB that can cover, rush, and stop the run. Who couldn't use a LB like that? KVN and Baker are both darn good LB's, the fill ins are special teams guys on most teams. With that said KVN and Baker couldn't hold Kuechly's jock so if Parsons is that talented he would only make us that much better. I'd argue Parsons is more of a need than Sewell. I'd also argue that KVN is a better edge rusher than LB so sliding him to a situational pass rusher and adding a better, faster, 3 down LB would do a lot to improve our run defense and pass defense.

Comment

I am not sure if stats showing in the past about LBs playing on the line is a reason to not want a great LB in this draft. First, one of Parsons key strengths has been noted in his ability to rush the passer.....so put him "on the line" also. Second, perhaps the skill sets of our current LBs and DEs were the reason we put them on the line in the first place. Maybe Boyer does things differently if he gets a shiny new toy "in the box" to wreck havoc, cover receivers, and stop the run all in one package.

Comment

• IMAWriter
                  IMAWriter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd take Parsons on a move up from 18 if it's doable..over a RB at 18. None of the RBs is...IMO better than was McCaffrey or Barkley. 2nd round.

Yes they need another LB. It wont happen, but I'd love to see them get Lavonte David. Can you imagine putting a guy like him with this defense?

Comment

• Idahomer
                  Idahomer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My only issue with David is his price and the fact he's 32. If we can get Collins or Parsons on a cheaper rookie deal I think that makes more sense, but hey what do I know. I love David too. I just have the sting of past RA LB signings for big contracts only to see them be average guys on our team. I think with the draft capital we have getting a LB in this draft is very doable..

Let me clear this up some. My OP said with the top picks. I had us trading down to #8 and taking in place of a WR. After seeing the snap counts, I'm reconsidering as taking a top 10 pick to be in a rotation is not a luxury for a rebuilding team with many immediate needs. No way is Flo benching his guy with a big deal in KVN or, likely drafting him, with another in Baker he really likes.

You want a top 10 pick to come in and start immediately to make an impact or at least to have a VG chance to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Idahomer View Post
                  LOL - Parsons has been compared to Luke Kuechly. A 3 down LB that can cover, rush, and stop the run. Who couldn't use a LB like that? KVN and Baker are both darn good LB's, the fill ins are special teams guys on most teams. With that said KVN and Baker couldn't hold Kuechly's jock so if Parsons is that talented he would only make us that much better. I'd argue Parsons is more of a need than Sewell. I'd also argue that KVN is a better edge rusher than LB so sliding him to a situational pass rusher and adding a better, faster, 3 down LB would do a lot to improve our run defense and pass defense.
                  You are a funny guy on occasion Homer. Being compare to someone is is not even close to the same zip code as being someone. RB Williams is compared to GB RB Jones but bigger. No reason to spend $10-12M on Jones when we can draft Williams #1. Tua is a lefty Drew Brees, and most here can give tons of other examples now and over the years. Bottom line, does not matter.

I do not like drafting Sewell either. The obvious option for me changing from Parsons at #8 would be Waddle to go with a FA WR

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X