My Early Dolphins Shopping List in FA & Top of The Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Early Dolphins Shopping List in FA & Top of The Draft

I've come up with what I believe would be the best overall team choices for this off season. I include some options for a co$t adjustment in FA and in the draft based on FA. Last year, Grier & Flo did next to nothing I thought they would do but, this year am better prepared or so I think.

Free Agency- I go to the strength of FA to fill two positions and to make the draft not as need oriented and more productive. We do not have a bunch of cap space this year but we do after it and, with signing bonuses pro rared can easily sign who we want, within reason.

WR- On a champagne budget, I go with:

Godwin (25)- 6'1" 209, caught 65 for 848 and 7 TD's from Brady. In 2019, was the #1 ranked WR with 86 for 1300 and 9 TD's. 4 drops in first 3 years.
    Robinson (27)- 6'3" 211, caught 100 for 1200 and 6 TD's with 1 drop. His 4.6 speed is not great but, his production is.

They project to cost $20M a year. That s a lot but, we spent it last year on Jones and can see it happening again.

Bargains:

Chris Samuel (24)- caught 77 for 851 and 3 TD's. He was #2 behind DJ Moore and has 4,3 speed. A high vale sign at $8M a year.
    Marvin Jones (31) caught 76 for 978 and 9 TD'd. He is a VG band aid for $8-9 M a year and already has himself coming here.

DE

DE- A BIG need and do not see one in the draft that we can get.

Lawson (25)- 6'2" 265 , had 64 pressures, 6 sacks, 24 hits and 34 hurries. Complete in runs stop and rush and played 750 snaps. $14M a year.

Floyd (28)- 6'4" 251, had 55 total pressures, 11, 7, 26. Good run and pass. and played 1,000 snaps. Around $10M a year.

Draft- After filling two big needs in FA, I can be more open in my picks.

#3- I trade down with Carolina and get the #8 pick, #40 pick and or #1 next year. I take Micah Parsons LB- 6'3" 240 and a perfect Flo LB.

#18- I have ammo to move up some here and want Patrick Surtain CB/FS- 6'2" 200 with 4.55 speed. Aside from high end speed, he is perfect.
    IF I end up with a Bargain or band aid WR, have to look to Waddle, Smith dropping or Bateman here.

#36- Williams, Harris, Etienne, Carter. Any could be great but RB it has to be.

#40 (from Panthers)- Dickerson C, a left handed center to go with Tua, A Natural.

The rest is BPA but, I am looking for a WR or RB who is really good at returns.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

To review

DE rotation would be Ogbah, Lawson and Lawson or Floyd

DT- Davis, Wilkins and Seiler

LB= AVG, KVN, Baker, Parsons and Lawson

S- Rowe, Jones and Surtain

CB- X, Jones and Noah

RB- Gaskin and a top pick

WR- Parker, a top FA and or a vet with a top pick, Williams, Bowden, maybe Grant or Wilson.

OL- C to be groomed or start.

QB- Add a vet or 3rd rounder to Tua

TE- Good as Gold.

Last edited by So Be; 02-03-2021, 02:01 PM.

In the other thread FTL says we got $23mil for cap space and we probably need $7mil to sign our draft so I don’t think we can afford anyone high like a top WR. I might trust what we have plus Wilson coming back and still stick with our top pick on WR.

Maybe sign Floyd or Lawson and call it a day in FA. Get the rest through the draft. Being that WR will be my first pick then if possible a DE ( 2nd best ) behind Parsons at 18.
    The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

Originally posted by AquaXI View Post
      In the other thread FTL says we got $23mil for cap space and we probably need $7mil to sign our draft so I don’t think we can afford anyone high like a top WR. I might trust what we have plus Wilson coming back and still stick with our top pick on WR.

Maybe sign Floyd or Lawson and call it a day in FA. Get the rest through the draft. Being that WR will be my first pick then if possible a DE ( 2nd best ) behind Parsons at 18.
      The draft allocation will be around $12M and we have $23M as of now. After a few anticipated cut we should go to $35M and we can restructure a deal or two for more, We can get a top WR.

The other thing that could factor in is the Salary Cap for 2021. Last year, it was $198M. This year, due to HUGE covid losses, the NFL set a cap floor at just $175M. Instead of the normal $10M cap increase, it goes down over $20M leaving 14 teams over the cap.

There is talk among the owners and union of trying to get back to last years cap and split the losses over 3 years. This would bring Miami up to $43-55M. On the other side, if the reduced cap stays in place, fewer bidders and more deals and steals in FA.

Either was, we can get the WR and DE leaving our top two picks open to a Parsons and Surtain possibility. Shane mentioned taking a CB and I can see it. Remember Jones is 29 and we have an out of his big contract after 2 years. Funny that Surtain is compared to Jones by some. Some here want Smith and Harris. This way, we get a better WR, one of the top RB's, Parsons, Surtain and at least a #40 2nd or a 1st next year.

Comment

• AquaXI
        AquaXI commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a plan! Actually I’m warming to Chase more than Smith at this point but Parsons is excellent too.

• So Be
        So Be commented
        Editing a comment
        If we cut McCain, we save $5.5M. If we cut Grant, we save $3M. If we cut Wilson, we save $2,8M and if we trade him, we save $3.8M. There is the extra if we want it.

Also, with the signing bonus, a $20M a year deal can have a cap hit of $4-5M first year.

The more I looked up your guy Parsons the more I like him. His talent is pretty much off the chart in run stop, pass rusn and can cover. A LB like this does not come around often.

Sounds like a good blueprint to me

Comment

GODDAMNIT!!! I cannot believe I left out my 2nd FA signing.

DE- A BIG need and do not see one in the draft that we can get.

Lawson (25)- 6'2" 265 , had 64 pressures, 6 sacks, 24 hits and 34 hurries. Complete in runs stop and rush and played 750 snaps. $14M a year.

Floyd (28)- 6'4" 251, had 55 total pressures, 11, 7, 26. Good run and pass. and played 1,000 snaps. Around $10M a year.

Both are good fits and will not break the bank. I want one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kato View Post
          Sounds like a good blueprint to me
          Many moving parts to consider befor comparing "perfect" drafts. If this works out on D and with our coaches, i may be looking forward to punts. On O, we address the WR, RB and C with a 2nd and 3rd left.

We do not yet now what the cap will be, who is really gonna be FA'a or even what the team is thinking on cuts and trades. It will get better.

GONNA BE A GREAT OFF SEASON!!!

Comment

I wouldn't take Surtain - not that I don't want him, but it's related to Noah. I think we need to see more of him and I don't believe that Tua was the only first round pick that struggled based on no OTAs

He's young and teachable - only 21 years old as well.

You didn't state who you are cutting or re-structuring?

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamas View Post
              I wouldn't take Surtain - not that I don't want him, but it's related to Noah. I think we need to see more of him and I don't believe that Tua was the only first round pick that struggled based on no OTAs

Loved to hear D Smith (Bama WR) say that Iggy was the toughest CB he faced in his college career. He practices with Surtain daily, so to hear him say Iggy was the toughest CB he's played against was nice to here.

Comment

Originally posted by Idahomer View Post

Loved to hear D Smith (Bama WR) say that Iggy was the toughest CB he faced in his college career. He practices with Surtain daily, so to hear him say Iggy was the toughest CB he's played against was nice to here.
                Ya mon - I think our secondary will be purged a little this offseason.

I think Perry, Wiltz, Fejedelm (or what ever his name is) and McCain will all be cut. I think Noah and Jones will start and we will have more depth from the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamas View Post

Good to see ya stranger. You know I really like Noah and have Surtain starting at FS with Rowe at SS until Jones takes over. Noah is the slot CB (for now) with X and Jones on the boundary. BIG upgrade from last year and many moving parts that Flo loves.

Adding Lawson at DE with Ogbah and Lawson 2 as a floater and Parson (the perfect Flo LB) to AVG, KVN and Baker would make a Special front 7 with tons of flexibility and pressure from everywhere.

You love D and have to love this line up.

I did list the cuts in comment to AQ "If we cut McCain, we save $5.5M. If we cut Grant, we save $3M. If we cut Wilson, we save $2,8M and if we trade him, we save $3.8M. There is the extra if we want it." We talked on these during last season as likely to go. I would like to keep Grant as the best returner in the NFL but, he has not developed as a WR and needs a pay cut. Re-structures are dependent on need and the covid cap number. No team anticipated a $30M cut in their budget and, like in any business, need to make adjustments if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Idahomer View Post

You have this, Madison loves him and many other analyst see a top talent press man cover CB. No way was he a bad pick.

Comment

Surtain at Safety.....Ohhh - never even thought about that. I have the 23 white Jersey - so I'm hoping Noah would be cool to switch. I'll have to watch a lil more tape on him to see what his shadowing is like at safety - but that would be a big jump to make - especially pay scale.

I like your cuts. Aligns to what I was thinking. We need a game change at FS - as I cant' remember that the McCain experiment has lead to any game changing plays.

Parsons on the field is dominant. I watched some tape on him last weekend. I am just concerned about his off field and locker room presence. from what I read he got into 4 fights with his teammates and one of them drew a knife at him.

Bully gate comes to mind. And this would be the first player Flo has drafted with the prima donna character. It will depend on his interview at the combine - but the risk/reward pairing him with Baker and KVN would be enticing - something we haven't seen since Zach, Taylor

Comment

Forget Parsons, keep your eye on Justin Hilliard. Go back and watch the Senior Bowl and how Flo's staff used him. That was a flat out audition. He played in every personnel package they put out there.

Comment

I haven't had time to work on it, but will try to put something together this weekend. The questions you have to ask on offense is 10 are they going to put the weapons around Tua that fit his game? 2) Are they going to add weapons and make Tua change his game to fit the weapons?

It seems to me early on the answer is 1. With that being the case you have to look at receivers a different way. They will want guys that can win off the LOS. Guys like Parker and Williams are great for Fitzpatrick's game, but not so much for Tua. You still want 1-2 50/50 guys on the team, but I expect them to look at receivers that win the battle off the LOS.

Guys that really fit that bill are guys like Samuels, Smith-Schuster, Watkins, and Fuller. Every one of these guys averaged more than 3 yards of separation on the passing targets to them. Miami's receivers were the worst in the league at getting separation.

Comment

Originally posted by ONole1 View Post
                            Forget Parsons, keep your eye on Justin Hilliard. Go back and watch the Senior Bowl and how Flo's staff used him. That was a flat out audition. He played in every personnel package they put out there.
                            thanks brov - will watch him again

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X