Omar's Options for Dolphins Top Picks & Watson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omar's Options for Dolphins Top Picks & Watson

Pick the future that has the highest ceiling for the Miami Dolphins.

Option one: Pair Tua Tagovailoa with DeVonta Smith, the Heisman trophy winning receiver who is a threat to score every time he touches the ball, and Najee Harris, a bruising back who broke many of Alabama’s rushing records. And have that trio of former Crimson tide standouts carry an offense that compliments a top-10 defense for the next three seasons.

Then use a 2022 first-round pick, which will likely be in the late teens if the franchise stays on its present winning trajectory, and cap space over the next three seasons to fill voids until it’s time to sign Tagovailoa to a new deal.

Or would you prefer option two? The Dolphins adding Deshaun Watson, an upper-echelon quarterback who is trying to force his way out of Houston, and pairing him with Harris and the top-10 defense that’s carried over from last season.

In the Watson option the Dolphins would be sending this year’s No. 3 pick, which is the equivalent of two first-round picks on the draft value scale teams use, Tagovailoa, who was selected fifth overall in 2020, and the 2022 first-round pick to the Texans for Watson, a three-time Pro Bowler who is in his prime and under contract for the next five seasons.

Watson’s salary is affordable ($10.54 million) in 2021, which will allow the Dolphins to make a handful of moves to improve the roster this offseason. But after that Miami would be in salary cap jail because of the financial commitment associated with paying the NFL’s second-biggest contract.

OR None of The Above and make up your own deal?

***from the Sun Sentimental and Omar.

I think I am past the point of wanting to trade for Watson. I think we would have to give up too much. I am also starting to think the Texans might be digging in and refuse to trade him so things could get ugly.

I will be patient and give Tua another year to show improvement as long as we improve his supporting cast.

Use that top pick on Devonta Smith.

With the #18 pick lets see how the draft plays out. If there is a potentially elite defensive player available then I would select them. If not then maybe trade down a little and select Harris.

If we can add WR Smith, RB Harris or Williams and a good OT so Hunt can move to OG then I think our offense could be much improved.

On defense we need another pass rusher and a LB.

Comment

• IMAWriter
      IMAWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      Spot on as to scenario 1.
      Scenario 2? I believe SoBe's estimate of what would get the deal done is LOW. I believe they will want the Fins #18 as well.
      But...if the deal as specified gets done, I'd say cut/trade whatever players would give us 10 million more cap space, and live on the edge for a year. Thing is though, Both of Watsons knees have undergone major surgery, and his style of play makes things a bit more dicey.

Stick with the draft. Trust the process

Comment

Tua, WR, DE, RB, C hopefully in that order.
      The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

• IMAWriter
        IMAWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        If the RIGHT DE is selected. Most "experts" feel the DE and DT choices in this draft aren't nearly as strong as in previous years. No Watt, no Bosa, no Wilfork, Suh, etc. If I wanted defense as our 2nd selection, I'd try to move up if Parsons is still there...which I doubt. I don't want to spend the pick on a RB though. I'd rather go OT.

Option One all day long.
      While it takes two to have an argument, it only takes one to walk away.

Comment

Houston and Watson are both painted into a corner with neither wanting to be with the other. Miami is in a VG spot because it does not matter what Houston or anyone think the trade value is. Watson dictates if they can trade him or not and has control to a very large degree.

I would make an offer of Tua, the #3 pick and our #1 next year. That's it and Watson has to agree to restructure his deal Take it or leave it and we move on.

Comment

• IMAWriter
          IMAWriter commented
          Editing a comment
          If those terms were agreeable to the Texans, it would certainly be hard to not do it. I love Tua's vibe, his parents, the whole thing.
          But Watson is highly regarded for his character and community service, so that's a push. I just think, in the usual Dolphinesque scenario, the Jets make a deal the Texans can't refuse, throwing Darnold in...and they have more #1 picks through ther Jama Adams deal. Which, by the way has been good for Seattle...but last I looked, Seattle ain't in the playoffs. WAY too much for a defensive guy, as we painfully learned with Suh. ONLY a QB should be worth more than ONE 1st round pick.

What Omar misses out of that while Watson would only be $10m this year, if Tua is traded his cap hit jumps to $14.6m.

Comment

Suppose we did decide to go with the trade for Watson and we include Tua in the trade. Has anyone thought to ask the question that if Watson can do this to the Texans right after signing a huge contract, what happens when he gets pissed off with the Dolphins coaching or FO?? Who says he won't pull the same crap with us?? I say a hard pass on Watson, I'm sticking with Tua.
          While it takes two to have an argument, it only takes one to walk away.

Comment

• AquaXI
            AquaXI commented
            Editing a comment
            Seems he wouldn’t as he was a good soldier till he couldn’t take it anymore. Still you never know.

• HndRkyaBong34
            HndRkyaBong34 commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s exactly what would happen.... Not worth the risk..

• Wulf
            Wulf commented
            Editing a comment
            DEFINITELY!
            Stick with the TEAM guy, and give him a real off-season, and some talent around him...
            As well as an OC who will send in plays designed for the 11 men on the field, rather than a play he thinks might work, only IF our guys can execute it well...

Hard pass on Watson. Don’t want a player who thinks he can dictate what the FO wants to do.

Comment

By all accounts he is of extremely high character, great with teammates, and a real community guy..not just with money. I work for a a university, which, like all hut a few express..and promote viewpoints WAY far from my own. And, in fact impose those on us at every turn. If I wasn't my age, and thought anywhere else would be any better, I'd quit ...but not before writing a hot ass angry letter to the head of the department and university president. Watson DOES have that opportunity. Thing is, and I'm not sure why, but I have this suspicion that there is more to this story. A race issue of some sort, some sort of disrespect other than what has already been presented. Obviously Texans reporters are in the team tank, especially McClain.

I don't think character should be an issue. The man wants to WIN. A quarter of his career..or more is over. The way he plays, and after left and right torn ACLs, he may be seeing this as his last contract...and chance to get to a Super Bowl. One thing, I have Dr Andrews look him over carefully.

But can you imagine if he failed a physical...what that would do to the morale on the team, having a "lame duck" Tua as the man? He'd want to get as far away from the Fins as possible. The team would be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for him. THAT...would be "Dolphin-esque."

Comment

• AquaXI
              AquaXI commented
              Editing a comment
              Also this Easterby preacher who like Rasputin got the owner to listen to him is really screwing the balance and chemistry of the whole texans org. Watson sees all this disfunction and wants no part of it.

• IMAWriter
              IMAWriter commented
              Editing a comment
              Could be. Maybe Cultish. I'll Duck2Go him..

• Dolfan1
              Dolfan1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Wasn't it Dr Andrews who said don't take Brees, Culpepper is the better choice Physically??

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2021/1/...deshaun-watson
            Was with Patsies previously.Could be some perceived racial implications? for you to decide. IMO, Fire Easterby, Watson stays.

Comment

• AquaXI
              AquaXI commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow just wow! Good details and probably all true. Yes I also heard that Easterby found Hopkins character to be not worthy of keeping and was behind his trade to the Cards.

• Dolfan1
              Dolfan1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting read.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X