Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Should Measurables Matter In Dolphins Draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Should Measurables Matter In Dolphins Draft?

There are a number of MFL GM's and coaches who do not want to draft players who do not "measure up" to NFL standards, Tuna was notorious for that as are others who have had much success. You want guys who have proven to be the most successful heights, weights, speeds, etc over the history of the NFL. We all know that there are exceptions to this as in any rule of thumb but, if there were a lot of them they would not be exceptions.

Let's look at our Phins possible exceptions this year and have to look no farther than out top pick. Smith has a very slight frame, do not recall legs like that since JJ picked Yatil. Waddle somewhat similar but, they are both playmakers, at least so far.

Then there are top picks who opted out and do not meet the measurable of time played. That would be Chase, Rousseau and a number of others. Does this matter more, less or the same as heights and weights?

We can not discount that the odds are against you by taking a smaller guy and/or one who has not payed much as well as many other Red Flags BUT, the exceptions are EXCEPTIONAL.

Opinions?

Especially when they’re left handed and coming off of serious injury.... and short for today’s standards..
    Last edited by HndRkyaBong34; 01-29-2021, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• AquaXI
      AquaXI commented
      Editing a comment
      Who love coconuts and wear puka shell necklace while wearing slippahs with a tux. Hahaha.

• HndRkyaBong34
      HndRkyaBong34 commented
      Editing a comment
      You, me and Tua AQ, that would be a party... I’ll bring the Spam and the beer..🤙

Typically Tuna is correct and even I would consider height and weight after speed , ability , smarts. and character . I’d also look at ones who opted out as staying healthy and fresh with low mileage as they have already at this point proven their high draft pick status.
    The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

You are always going to find those undersized players who stand the test of time. Zach was 5'11" in cleats and weighed 215lbs soaking wet during the season. However, we was a beast, heart of a lion, non stop motor, and instincts like I have never seen before.

If Miami drafts Smith I will support him completely, but I really worry about his size. I don't think he is 175lbs

Comment

• HndRkyaBong34
        HndRkyaBong34 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha! Was thinking the same, he looks to be about 165lbs and that’s on TV, which usually adds another 10lbs lol I’d be happy with smith I just don’t want a repeat of Parker, always hurt...

• IMAWriter
        IMAWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        Parker was hurt in college...I'm sure you know. Foot...that is a BAD injury that, by compensating causes others. Ask Bill Walton. Bothers me 2 of our O-Linemen had foot injuries. As to Smith...he will competing mainly against 6-0, 195-200 pounders. Which he's done his entire career. You have to CATCH HIM FIRST. How big is X, by the way? I mean REALLY, not pumped up stats.

Well it sure seems like we are talking about Smith vs. Chase here. As of right now I am moving away from Smith and thinking Chase, and it is mostly due to physical measurables. I am thinking that a year off is less of a concern if they truly stayed in shape and prepared for the NFL.... not necessarily the combine. While there may be rust in the rookie season, long term you hope to extrapolate success. Smith not wanting to get weighed was a little bit of a red flag to me....definitely would not tip the scales at 175 so where does that leave us....169? Makes you go hmmmm.
      I am wondering what to do at 3.

Comment

For me, I put some emphasis on the competition they faced, especially the quarterbacks. As to Smith v Chase...both SEC guys...both played with explosive offenses, excellent QBs. I've only seen Chase a couple times, as he opted out.. Smith I saw 5-6 times. Both excellent, but apples and oranges. I don't totally agree with some comparing Chase to a faster Landry...or Parker. Yes, he's a go get it guy. But Smith doesn't have to battle because he's GONE>..like 7-11, open all night. I go THERE. If he's ours with the 3rd pick, I'll say "Oh Thank Heaven." If it's Chase? It's their decision. If Chase ends up being good, not great? I fire Grier on the spot. Just too many blown 1st and 2nd rounders. Sue me.

Comment

• HndRkyaBong34
          HndRkyaBong34 commented
          Editing a comment
          And when Smith gets leveled by 220lbs safety....ouch He’ll join Parker in the IR resort...durability has value..

Chase reminds me of a speedy Anquan Boldin with that quite toughness ...always fighting..
          Last edited by HndRkyaBong34; 01-30-2021, 02:50 AM.

Top prospect: Ja'Marr Chase, LSU

Listed as a four-star prospect by ESPN and Rivals and a five-star recruit by LSU coming out of Louisiana’s own Archbishop Rummel High School in 2018, Ja’Marr Chase received more than 25 offers and took official visits to LSU, Auburn, Michigan and TCU before committing to the Tigers. Chase was originally set on Ole Miss but wavered amid the penalties handed down to the Rebels by the NCAA. Staying close to home was also important to Chase. He caught 115 passes for 2,152 yards and 30 touchdowns in his preps career and won the 5A state title in the long jump as a junior.
        PFF’s 2021 NFL Draft Guide is loaded with three-page draft profiles on hundreds of NFL draft prospects in the 2021 class. The draft guide also includes three-year grades, advanced stats, player comparisons, 2021 NFL Scouting Combine data, 2021 Reese’s Senior Bowl grades and much more. Click here to get your copy today!
        Chase was the most productive wide receiver on a college team that had the most productive rookie wide receiver in NFL history. Oh, and he was only 19 years old when he did it. While he's not a perfect prospect or a freak physical specimen, Chase is a safe bet as a true “X” wide receiver. He beat up the likes of A.J. Terrell and Trevon Diggs during his college career, as well. He can win with strength or speed and then shake off a tackle to take it to the house. His 24 deep catches in 2019 are the most we've seen in a college season.

NFL player comparison: Justin Blackmon

Biggest strength: Playstrength

Biggest weakness: Shiftiness

Projection: Top-10 pick

Bottom line: Chase was a special player already a year and a half ago. It's
        scary to think about what his game looks like now.

Comment

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-...-devonta-smith

Jan. 11, 2021; Miami Gardens, Florida, USA; Alabama Crimson Tide wide receiver DeVonta Smith (6) runs for a 5-yard touchdown during the second quarter of the College Football Playoff National Championship against the Ohio State Buckeyes at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla. Mandatory Credit: Kyle Robertson-USA TODAY Sports

By Eric Eager
          Jan 19, 2021

In a 2020 college football season that was unlike any we’ve ever seen, one player caught our collective attention.
          The national champion Alabama Crimson Tide, loaded with talent from top to bottom, lost Jaylen Waddle to a broken leg during the middle of the season, leaving them without a player many believed to be their top target. But in Waddle's absence, senior wide receiver DeVonta Smith blew up in 2020.
          Smith, the 2020 Heisman Trophy winner, caught 117-of-145 targets for over 1,850 yards and 23 touchdowns. He was the fourth-most-valuable player in all of college football in 2020 and the most valuable non-quarterback we’ve ever charted.
          Our current big board has Smith as the eighth-best prospect for the 2021 NFL Draft, behind Ja'Marr Chase of LSU and teammate Jaylen Waddle. Smith, at 6-foot-1 and just over 170 pounds, will elicit question marks about his size, but size is less of a concern when you can separate the way Smith does, and he separates about as well as anyone in college football during the PFF College era. Smith recorded almost 500 more yards with a separation designation of “open,” “step” or “wide open” than any other player in college football in 2020.

At Bama Smith played slot a bunch and also came short over the middle a bunch. In NFL zones he will find very athletic head hunting safeties and bigger LB's waiting to tell him that this is not a good idea for a little guy. This is not the SEC and no idea how he will respond.
          Last edited by So Be; 01-30-2021, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kato View Post
            Well it sure seems like we are talking about Smith vs. Chase here. As of right now I am moving away from Smith and thinking Chase, and it is mostly due to physical measurables. I am thinking that a year off is less of a concern if they truly stayed in shape and prepared for the NFL.... not necessarily the combine. While there may be rust in the rookie season, long term you hope to extrapolate success. Smith not wanting to get weighed was a little bit of a red flag to me....definitely would not tip the scales at 175 so where does that leave us....169? Makes you go hmmmm.
            I am wondering what to do at 3.
            This is the biggest example potentially affecting Miami at the top of the draft. I like Chase and actually Waddle more than Smith. I can see Smith as a great deep threat WR but, not the consistent production of Chase or Waddle.

We also get into RB's. Everyone has forgotten about Etienne who may end up the best of this draft but, he does not have the power as Harris/Williams.

Then we have opt outs everywhere, undersized DE's and LB's, etc.

Finally we have in general opinions on what to do this draft. IF we look at last draft, Grier and Flo went went with lessor ranked players early and have come under some criticism after players rookie year, which is silly. I refer to Jackson and Noah who are the youngest or close in the NFL and we were all told they will need time to develop to those who listened. Stevie Wonder can see the unquestioned talent and we will see it soon, Davis was questionable at best to some, kicked ass and was better than Wilkins.

Consider that the "Grier & Flo Show" won 10 games with their top picks making little impact. Will that fly again this year?
            I

28. Miami Dolphins

Why they're ranked here: Miami's rookies played more snaps this past season than any other rookie class, yet there was very little positive play to speak of among the group. Their first-round picks — quarterback Tua Tagovailoa (No. 5 overall), tackle Austin Jackson (No. 18 overall) and cornerback Noah Igbinoghene (No. 30 overall) — all ranked in the bottom six at their respective position in PFF grade this season.

How their top pick fared: It's way too early to dismiss the possibility of Tagovailoa being a franchise quarterback, but it's still far from a guarantee considering his lowly Year 1. Tagovailoa finished the year with a 63.9 passing grade, well below the marks of fellow first-round quarterbacks Joe Burrow (74.3) and Justin Herbert (78.6). He struggled to get anything cooking downfield with the fourth-lowest accurate pass rate on throws of 10-plus yards and a league-low big-time throw rate of 2.1%.
            1/5 Tua Tagovailoa QB Alabama
            1/18 Austin Jackson OT USC
            1/30 Noah Igbinoghene CB Auburn
            2/39 Robert Hunt G Louisiana
            2/56 Raekwon Davis DT Alabama
            3/70 Brandon Jones S Texas
            4/111 Solomon Kindley G Georgia
            5/154 Jason Strowbridge DE North Carolina
            5/164 Curtis Weaver DE Boise State
            6/185 Blake Ferguson LS LSU
            7/246 Malcolm Perry WR Navy
            One "exception" in Weaver was cut quickly, injury not mattering.
            Last edited by So Be; 01-30-2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ONole1 View Post
              You are always going to find those undersized players who stand the test of time. Zach was 5'11" in cleats and weighed 215lbs soaking wet during the season. However, we was a beast, heart of a lion, non stop motor, and instincts like I have never seen before.

If Miami drafts Smith I will support him completely, but I really worry about his size. I don't think he is 175lbs
              You likely know better than me. What would you say are the odds of being successful overall in forgetting the norm in measurables? I remember Tuna's numbers were off the chart on staying with measurables and HOFer Pollian saying much of the same but, cannot find them so far.

Comment

Talk about measurables. This reminds me of The talk about Earl Campbell

pic.twitter.com/XXwLmU2VYZ

Comment

Originally posted by So Be View Post

You likely know better than me. What would you say are the odds of being successful overall in forgetting the norm in measurables? I remember Tuna's numbers were off the chart on staying with measurables and HOFer Pollian saying much of the same but, cannot find them so far.
                  TBH no clue. Harrison had a long HOF career, and Smith highly resembles his game and his stature. In today's passing game LB's and safeties are getting smaller to be able to keep up in the passing game. Smith probably wont get hit by too many 245+lb line backers or 215+lbs safeties. Seems like every day I change my mind. Ideally I would love to drop down 2-5 places and still be able to get Smith or Waddle.

Comment

• IMAWriter
                    IMAWriter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Add to that, Tua is VERY accurate. They'll have to CATCH Smith to hit him. I remember Jim Brown. He had a way of running that not even the great Giant's LB Sam Huff could get a direct shot on him. Well, usually not. IMO, Brown is still the greatest RB of all time. That fact is proof that a great O-Line ain't nothing to take lightly. I think 3 or 4 of those guys are in the HOF. Maybe something to consider in the draft. I know I said I'd try not to judge the 3 amigos drafted last year...but I do NOT believe any oif those 3 will be enshrined in the HOF. I'll settle for maybe a Pro Bowl alternate. Two of them. Otherwise........

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X