Is Tua 100% Healthy & Will He Be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Tua 100% Healthy & Will He Be?

I hesitate for yet another Tua thread and have to make it up to GC. However IMO, this is the most important question for the team and for fans to ask themselves. Tua, his therapists, his and team doctors and the team told us that he was. We can go back and forth on if they really meant 100% healed, recovered, back to what he was, ready to play or whatever. Grier & Flo decided, after knowing tons more than I do, that Tua was game ready. He played, flashed but did not impress.

No reason to PANIC. QB's sometimes take time to develop and adapt to the NFL as we have seen countless times in the past. The fact that Tua was never considered any kind of a project who needed to be developed and was NFL ready was negated by the very serious injury.

MANY Phans really want Tua to succeed and to be the answer to our 20 year old search for a QB. A number of fans believe that the reason he struggled was that he was NOT 100% healthy, recovered and/or physically and mentally prepared to the QB he was projected to be. Everything Tua did at Bama is meaningless if he is not that same player.

Are we back to a year ago in questioning his health? Should the team, as well as fans, consider another QB addition in a Watson, lotto odds on Lawrence and Fields or Wilson in the draft? Are we happy wit a game manager IF that is what we have?

Food for thought.

***GC, I volunteer to buy a keg and pay 2 cheerleaders to serve it for us to talk about Phins OTHER than Tua for a few days. :-)

Damn I miss the days of sitting around talking sports over cold beer served by beautiful ladies!

Comment

• So Be
      So Be commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a coming back my friend.

I think Tua proved his hip was healthy "enough" to do everything he had to do. What I believe is that despite being "healthy" the hip is not yet as strong as it was pre injury. I think his legs (thighs especially) seem a little thinner then before the injury. That was a very serious injury and similar to an ACL - you can get back to doing everything you did before without risking reinjury within a year, but it truly takes two years to get "back to where it was before"..

I definitely believe he had a stronger lower body prior to the injury and I also believe he can gain that muscle and strength back. Mentally the confidence takes a few years as well. While I don't think he was necessarily playing scared there were occasions where the old Tua would have put his head down and tried to truck over someone at the 2 yard line to get into the endzone, this season there were many times he simply slide to avoid the hit. This is smart and I would encourage him to do it a lot, but he did seem a little hesitant to get hit around the goal lines a few times this season.

I'm in the boat with the majority in that I want him to finally be the answer. We finally had an opportunity to solve our QB issue and of course we all have in the back of our mind the pain and agony of the last few decades without Marino. It's impossible to not let the thought of him being a bust creep into your thoughts. I just think he needs a little more time because of the injury and the lack of a training camp/preseason.. I hope that an offseason in Miami he will have a big improvement in many areas and all this talk of finding another QB will fade away. Fingers crossed anyway.. It was a lot more fun talking about the future with Tua 6 months ago then the debate and doom and gloom that's out there now.

Comment

The problem Tua is having, is that he is being victimized by his own success or perceived success. Before the injury he was at the top, then fell. Once he was pronounced healthy, the hype came back. It did not help to watch two rookies labeled as not quite as good have more success and look better than he did. Did Tua look good, no, did he seem ready, not at all but that is beside the point. If he can ever live up to the hype that surrounded him before the injury and maybe even during the draft, then Miami will have one hell of a QB. Question is, can he make it to that level? Only he can answer that.... will that pup bite!!!

Comment

I feel Tua was not truly 100% this year. He was still trying to get back the strength from certain atrophy that happens with any serious injury. So obviously his strength was probably not at full go. This year he will be!
        The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Idahomer View Post
          I think Tua proved his hip was healthy "enough" to do everything he had to do. What I believe is that despite being "healthy" the hip is not yet as strong as it was pre injury. I think his legs (thighs especially) seem a little thinner then before the injury. That was a very serious injury and similar to an ACL - you can get back to doing everything you did before without risking reinjury within a year, but it truly takes two years to get "back to where it was before"..

I definitely believe he had a stronger lower body prior to the injury and I also believe he can gain that muscle and strength back. Mentally the confidence takes a few years as well. While I don't think he was necessarily playing scared there were occasions where the old Tua would have put his head down and tried to truck over someone at the 2 yard line to get into the endzone, this season there were many times he simply slide to avoid the hit. This is smart and I would encourage him to do it a lot, but he did seem a little hesitant to get hit around the goal lines a few times this season.

I'm in the boat with the majority in that I want him to finally be the answer. We finally had an opportunity to solve our QB issue and of course we all have in the back of our mind the pain and agony of the last few decades without Marino. It's impossible to not let the thought of him being a bust creep into your thoughts. I just think he needs a little more time because of the injury and the lack of a training camp/preseason.. I hope that an offseason in Miami he will have a big improvement in many areas and all this talk of finding another QB will fade away. Fingers crossed anyway.. It was a lot more fun talking about the future with Tua 6 months ago then the debate and doom and gloom that's out there now.
          Good post Homer. Glad you mentioned the confidence issue and I saw that as well. Tua was not the same confident to the point of cocky QB I saw for Bama. Attribute some of it to speed of the game if ya like but, it appeared to be more than that.

I have seen a number of NFL players say that anyone saying you are the same or better than before an injury never played and was never injured. That broken part of your body, after it mends, makes you adjust what you do as you will never have the same confidence you did before the injury. It could be close but, never the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Phins169 View Post
            The problem Tua is having, is that he is being victimized by his own success or perceived success. Before the injury he was at the top, then fell. Once he was pronounced healthy, the hype came back. It did not help to watch two rookies labeled as not quite as good have more success and look better than he did. Did Tua look good, no, did he seem ready, not at all but that is beside the point. If he can ever live up to the hype that surrounded him before the injury and maybe even during the draft, then Miami will have one hell of a QB. Question is, can he make it to that level? Only he can answer that.... will that pup bite!!!
            Well said and realistic. For me, the thing about the other two rookies was that they were not supposed to be as NFL ready but, played like vets. We hope that our pup is a pit bull as opposed to a poodle. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by AquaXI View Post
              I feel Tua was not truly 100% this year. He was still trying to get back the strength from certain atrophy that happens with any serious injury. So obviously his strength was probably not at full go. This year he will be!
              Agreed. Have to wonder if it would've been better or worse to sit Tua for all of last year.

Comment

• AquaXI
                AquaXI commented
                Editing a comment
                We know what’s best for him, most here in this forum. If we didn’t play him you know the fickle fans of Finheaven would have been calling for Flores head. And now that he did play the fickle fans there let’s just say many want a new QB.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X