Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flores Having Coach Problems

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Flores Having Coach Problems

    We're starting the 3rd year of our rebuild and I believed we would be starting to show some stability. Flo replaced OL coach Marshall with asst. coach Lemuel Jeanpierre, a promotion from within. Marshall was with Gailey and it is understandable. What I don't understand is why he hired any OL coach before an OCC. Coordinators like to hire staff or at least have a say..

    We will have our 4th OL coach and 3rd OC in year 3 and there were others. This is not a good thing for young players development. He needs to get it right.

    Anyone else have concerns?

  • #2
    Yes. Hiring an OL coach right before hiring an OC is either an error in judgement or a demonstration of power. I dont see any upside in the decison, but plenty of downside and unnecessary drama and reflection. We love what Flores is doing in general, but he is not perfect. Nobody is. Coach hiring could be his Achilles Heel.

    Comment


    • #3
      You just beat me to it. Well, it's a promotion, and can be undone by the new OC..unless the new OC hasn't been announced and is OK with Monsieur Jeanpierre.
      Lemuel Jeanpierre..what sort of acid trip were his parents on when they came up with that one. Sounds a bit like Key and Peele.

      Concerns? Concerns????? Now WHY would we have any concerns...it's only the 23rd assistant or coordinator Flo has let go since he's headed up the show...don't ya know. Joe.
      Crap, this is just too easy.
      Last edited by IMAWriter; 01-19-2021, 12:27 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kato View Post
        Yes. Hiring an OL coach right before hiring an OC is either an error in judgement or a demonstration of power. I dont see any upside in the decison, but plenty of downside and unnecessary drama and reflection. We love what Flores is doing in general, but he is not perfect. Nobody is. Coach hiring could be his Achilles Heel.
        Could be? Could be??? Yes, we love what Flo (in general) is doing, but maybe he's thinking his O-Line was stinking and somehow he's linking it all to the synching of Gailey and Marshall.. this drives fans to drinking.

        Comment


        • So Be
          So Be commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah and in Miami it's Jose can you see?

      • #5
        Stranger and stranger it seems. Conspiracy alert! Marshall was telling the O-Line to block like crap for Tua...under Gailey's instructions!!! All based on a bias against Hawaiians? That said, the O-Line blocking like crap didn't take much convincing.Comes naturally.

        Comment


        • #6
          I mentioned this in another post that I worry about coaching continuity and it's impact on this young roster. It is definitely a concern, but at the same time I'm all for continuous improvement and not settling for a coach if you don't feel he's doing the job. Unfortunately in today's NFL if you're a good assistant you're not going to be an assistant for long, so the really good teams are the ones who's culture trumps individual coaching philosophies. Right now I still trust in Flores, but at some point it would be nice to see these young players get used to their position coach instead of this revolving door we have with our coaching staff.

          Comment


          • IMAWriter
            IMAWriter commented
            Editing a comment
            Not to mention the dead money salaries being paid right now. I'll wager it's up around 3-4 million+.

        • #7
          I posted the Jeanpierre stuff in the Tidbits thread this morning.

          Seems a strong indicator that Flores is leaning towards hiring Godsey or Studeville as OC.

          Comment


          • IMAWriter
            IMAWriter commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, but why wait? There HAS/had to be another 1st choice...Goodell gave permission today to allow assistants still in the playoffs to interview. Should be action today...or his guy is gone.

        • #8
          Originally posted by Kato View Post
          Yes. Hiring an OL coach right before hiring an OC is either an error in judgement or a demonstration of power. I dont see any upside in the decison, but plenty of downside and unnecessary drama and reflection. We love what Flores is doing in general, but he is not perfect. Nobody is. Coach hiring could be his Achilles Heel.
          It is possible that Flo wanted to stop the guy from leaving with Marshall because of the development of the OL rookies and overall, which I agree with. Regardless, you don't look to hire an OC, manager, foreman or anyone in position of authority and hire for them before the hire. Guarantee this eliminates some VG people and it should.

          I do not believe Flo has the knowledge, experience and expertise to hire a Puppet OC,

          Comment


          • #9
            Originally posted by So Be View Post
            We're starting the 3rd year of our rebuild and I believed we would be starting to show some stability. Flo replaced OL coach Marshall with asst. coach Lemuel Jeanpierre, a promotion from within. Marshall was with Gailey and it is understandable. What I don't understand is why he hired any OL coach before an OCC. Coordinators like to hire staff or at least have a say..

            We will have our 4th OL coach and 3rd OC in year 3 and there were others. This is not a good thing for young players development. He needs to get it right.

            Anyone else have concerns?
            Yup, you beat me to the punch; was gonna post basically the same thing..

            It's really starting to worry the Hell outta me because we all know by rule a successful HC is usually only as great as the people he surrounds himself with..I'm more than a bit concerned with a large part of our staff leaving or being kicked to the curb after every season..

            And like you pointed out, why in the Hell would with fill that position without first hiring an OC..'Good afternoon, we're very interested in you becoming our next OC, all you have to do is show up because we've already hired your whole staff!' You'd think the new OC would at least have some input on the type of Line Coach he prefers..

            Comment


            • IMAWriter
              IMAWriter commented
              Editing a comment
              yes, you'd think?

          • #10
            Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post
            I posted the Jeanpierre stuff in the Tidbits thread this morning.

            Seems a strong indicator that Flores is leaning towards hiring Godsey or Studeville as OC.
            Probably right & probably not gonna give any of us a warm fuzzy feeling..Not quite the thinking outside the box approach you'd hope for!

            Comment


            • #11
              I believe the answer to it all is Tom Brady...who WAS the offense, and assistant OC. Flo was so used to that side of the ball taking care of itself. With Tua, his apprehension is even worse, thus Gailey...experienced. I don't think Flo has a problem with ego in that way. I just think he's spoiled. Look at the OCs the Pats employed....Charlie Weis, Bill O'Brien, Josh McDaniels. IMO, this better be a HUGE hire...and I don't see Jeanpierre in a position of authority.

              Comment


              • #12
                As mentioned above, Goodell has changed the rules to allow playoff teams to allow their assistants to interview for promotions/positions with another team. Interesting, that JUST when the Patriots, Jets are in dire need......

                Comment


                • #13
                  Originally posted by Driven_Phinsane! View Post

                  Yup, you beat me to the punch; was gonna post basically the same thing..

                  It's really starting to worry the Hell outta me because we all know by rule a successful HC is usually only as great as the people he surrounds himself with..I'm more than a bit concerned with a large part of our staff leaving or being kicked to the curb after every season..

                  And like you pointed out, why in the Hell would with fill that position without first hiring an OC..'Good afternoon, we're very interested in you becoming our next OC, all you have to do is show up because we've already hired your whole staff!' You'd think the new OC would at least have some input on the type of Line Coach he prefers..
                  Perhaps some fans have gotten to Flo and he is thinking he won 10 games with no OC and can do things by himself. lol

                  This hire comes at a good time to consider it on another matter. Flores has been an "Off With Their Heads" type of boss with his coaches and just promoted a coach he should not have done. He appears to rule the coaches with a Iron Fist and players with "somewhat" of a velvet glove. He is a new and different Don.

                  Now, imagine if you will, a player wanting to have a say in which coaches he hires. As Wulf says "When Satin Is Throwing Snowballs on South Beach."



                  Comment


                  • IMAWriter
                    IMAWriter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    BTW, my observations of Don Shula early on...before I moved from Miami in 72...great timing, eh? haha. He was certainly no "velvet glove". Quite the opposite. The players HATED what seemed like a 4 a day regimen. A real ball buster he was...and remained for quite some time, till the NFLPA stuck their rotten noses in. Tackling got ragged, players running out of bounds...I'll stop now. I WILL add...Shula had, by FAR the best group of assistants and Coordinators in the league for over a decade. Add to that, he was head of the rues committee...and the team was a founding member of "Blesto"..a scouting combine with several teams sharing player info and other stuff I cannot recall. Flo must somehow fix this, or he'll not be able to hire an experienced, high quality assistant ever again. Just when you thought things were on the up......
                    At least he can coach.

                • #14
                  Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post
                  I posted the Jeanpierre stuff in the Tidbits thread this morning.

                  Seems a strong indicator that Flores is leaning towards hiring Godsey or Studeville as OC.
                  I hope it's not them. Probably very nice men, but this team needs someone that has designed an offense, not inherit one and add wrinkles.

                  Comment


                  • IMAWriter
                    IMAWriter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If Tua had a coupler more years on him, they might inquire as to Tua's thoughts on the subject...ah, wait...didn't Watson try that??

                • #15
                  Originally posted by So Be View Post

                  Perhaps some fans have gotten to Flo and he is thinking he won 10 games with no OC and can do things by himself. lol

                  This hire comes at a good time to consider it on another matter. Flores has been an "Off With Their Heads" type of boss with his coaches and just promoted a coach he should not have done. He appears to rule the coaches with a Iron Fist and players with "somewhat" of a velvet glove. He is a new and different Don.

                  Now, imagine if you will, a player wanting to have a say in which coaches he hires. As Wulf says "When Satin Is Throwing Snowballs on South Beach."


                  I would surely hope Flores recognizes the HUGE importance of finding an OC who is hungry, up & coming & most of all creative in his play-calling..10 wins in the 2nd year of a rebuild is damn impressive but at the end of the day (I know you hate that saying, lol. But it fits!) it means pretty much nothing..

                  I'm glad you brought up Shula, because who knows if Shula wins a single championship without Schnellenberger & Arnsparger??

                  Comment

                  Unconfigured Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X