Early Prospect Ramblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Prospect Ramblings

Well with the college football season kicking off this week I figured it’s time to start talking about the draft a bit. Hopefully the Dolphins keep us busy enough that we aren’t talking too much about it until January or February.

As right now I would say our biggest areas of focus should be left tackle, cornerback, linebacker, defensive end, and guard. I think our primary focus should be LT, CB and LB, but wanted to put DE an OG in there as well.

Hopefully Miami is picking in the mid to late twenties or thirties (wishful thinking). Here are some names to keep an eye on throughout the season. I know some of these guys will go before Miami picks, but this early you never know how the cards will fall and who will rise and fall.

OT
    Day 1 and Day 2

Ronnie Stanley – Notre Dame; He’s going to be a top 10 pick, so should be out of range for Miami, but you never know. If he was there when Miami was on the board I would have no issue taking him even if he falls.

Laremy Tunsil – Ole Miss; If he stays healthy probably a top five pick.

Jack Conklin – Michigan State; I like his potential and think he will have a long career in the NFL but could be suited for RT more than LT.

Tyler Johnstone – Oregon; I really like his athleticism. He has quick feet and already plays in a similar ZBS that Miami runs.

Later rounds

Lyle Murphy – Stanford; He needs to add some weight and work on his technique, but very good athleticism with long arms. He’s someone that could be developed.

Le’Raven Clark – Texas Tech; He is raw, but another big athletic guy that could be developed and plays against top competition.

Corner
    Nole’s Fantasy World

Jalen Ramsey – Florida State: Ok, wishful thinking for me but he’s not going to be there when Miami picks as unless he completely falls apart or gets injured he’s a top 10 and possibly top 5 pick.

Vernon Hargreaves III – Florida: Once again, more than likely not there when Miami picks as he’s a top 15 pick, but you never know. He reminds me of Grimes, but a little more undisciplined and takes more risk than he probably should, but amazing talent.

Kendal Fuller – Virginia Tech: Yes he is the youngest of the Fuller klan and has three brothers playing in the NFL. I love me some Kendall Fuller. However, like Ramsey and Hargreaves he’s probably out of reach for Miami, but a guy can dream right?

Realistic Day 1 and 2 picks

Tre’Davious White – LSU: Very good cover guy. Wont show the fastest 40 time, but quick feet and fluid hips. He also has very good ball skills and reads plays well which gets him in good position. His sound technique makes up for his foot speed.

Cameron Sutton – Tennessee: Good size, good speed and plays against top competition. Just an average tackler but good ball skills with the size to cover big receivers.

Keivarae Russell – Notre Dame: He has shown he can cover big and small receivers. Very instinctive player and not afraid to stick his nose in there to help the running game.

Zach Sanchez – Oklahoma: Not the best technician but has very good ball skills. He has the skill set to go day two, but not sure I would touch him before the third round because he needs a lot of work on his dedication to his craft and tackling.

Later Rounds

Will Redman – Mississippi State: He’s not flashy or fast, but very steady. He’s a good CB that has improved each year. He may never be a star, but he could be a starting corner for 10 years in the NFL.

Kevon Seymor – USC: He could be a sleeper in the draft. Like Redmond he’s not flashy but at the end of the day you look at who he was covering and they don’t have many stats.

Brandon Facyson – Virginia Tech: Big Corner that usually matches up with the big receivers or the #2’s as Fuller takes on the #1’s, but don’t look past him. He’s a very physical corner who has good instincts.

Linebacker
    Day 1 and day 2

Jack Miles – UCLA: He would be a PERFECT fit in iami. He may not be the biggest LB, but he plays stronger than his size shows. Very good in coverage and is quick enough to cover backs and tight ends. Good instincts that allows him to read and react to plays well. He may not knock anyone out when making a tackle, but he doesn’t miss many tackles either.

Jaylon Smith – Notre Dame: Like Miles, he will probably go before Miami picks, but instinctive LB that is always around the ball. Solid cover skills, but better at sideline to sideline and reading/breaking down plays.

Scooby Wright III – Arizona: This guy is all over the field. Better size than Miles and while he is not as good in coverage he makes up for it in his pass rushing and sideline to sideline ability. He’s a tackling machine with very good instincts. Miami could do worse things than drafting Scooby…

Leonard Floyd – Georgia: Tremendous speed, but has to get stronger. Doesn’t have the instincts as some of the others have but you can’t teach speed…

Darron Lee – Ohio State: If you liked Ryan Shazier then you are going to like Lee. Put them in a uniform and stand them next to each other and it would be hard to tell them apart. I am not sure Lee is as polished as Shazier was, but he has a very similar skill set and may actually have better speed.

Josh Perry – Ohio State: Although he plays outside at OSU I think he will move inside in the NFL but where Lee lacks on strength Perry makes up for it. He is strong enough to take on and shed blockers and one of those non-stop motor guys. He plays very aggressive which can take him out of a play, so I think moving him inside could help him with that.

Later rounds

Jordan Jenkins – Georgia: He could play in a 3-4 or a 4-3 but would have to get better in pass coverage in a 4-3. Solid tackler with some pass rushing skill.

Terrance Smith – Florida State: Plays fast with instincts. Good in pass coverage and very good at hitting the holes and making plays.

We can add on to this list as the season goes, but just some names to keep an eye on

Not commenting yet on possible players but like the fact that Miami will not be in play when these guys supposedly goes. In fact knock on wood we may be picking 32 LOL!
    The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

IMO Kendal Fuller is our pick. Then again AS OF NOW he's the only player I know on this list as well HAHA. Nole, it's just to soon for me but thanks for some players to keep an eye on.

Comment

Wow, very impressive work Nole! Thanks for doing all the research. I will keep this list handy as I watch college football this season and see how this unfolds. Keep us up to date if someone else hits your radar.

Comment

• Daytona Dolfan
          Daytona Dolfan commented
          Editing a comment
          Nole lives for this stuff

• ONole1
          ONole1 commented
          Editing a comment
          DD...lol, yeah I do love it

Originally posted by VAIDER5120 View Post
        IMO Kendal Fuller is our pick. Then again AS OF NOW he's the only player I know on this list as well HAHA. Nole, it's just to soon for me but thanks for some players to keep an eye on.

Yeah, it's very early, but I still love it and figured I would throw some names out there for people to keep an eye on. I love all of the top three corners I listed with Ramsey my top for some unknown reason...LOL I think all will be gone well before Miami picks.

Comment

Originally posted by ONOle1 View Post
          Well with the college football season kicking off this week I figured it’s time to start talking about the draft a bit. Hopefully the Dolphins keep us busy enough that we aren’t talking too much about it until January or February.

As right now I would say our biggest areas of focus should be left tackle, cornerback, linebacker, defensive end, and guard. I think our primary focus should be LT, CB and LB, but wanted to put DE an OG in there as well.

Hopefully Miami is picking in the mid to late twenties or thirties (wishful thinking). Here are some names to keep an eye on throughout the season. I know some of these guys will go before Miami picks, but this early you never know how the cards will fall and who will rise and fall.

Jack Miles– UCLA: He would be a PERFECT fit in iami. He may not be the biggest LB, but he plays stronger than his size shows. Very good in coverage and is quick enough to cover backs and tight ends. Good instincts that allows him to read and react to plays well. He may not knock anyone out when making a tackle, but he doesn’t miss many tackles either.

Well, the Fins barely kept us busy two weeks thinking there were better things to talk about other than the 2016 Draft...Adding insult to injury (literally) is the guy you pegged as a PERFECT fit for us has torn his meniscus and is out for the year..I guess the good news is that if he decides to come out he'll more than likely be there when we pick between the 10-12 spot...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...923-story.html

Comment

SS- Jeremy Cash, Duke. Local of Miami.

This guy is playing lights out and might make his way to the 1st round. Can play nickle as well.

STRENGTHS: Often lining up near the line of scrimmage as a nickel cornerback, NFL scouts like Cash's versatility and instincts in coverage, reading and anticipating well to drive on plays in front of him. He isn't shy lowering his pads and driving through his target as a run defender, playing with nonstop violence and hustle.
            WEAKNESSES: He is often so fixated on the ball that he doesn't see approaching blockers, lacking ideal functional strength to easily stack-and-shed at the point of attack.

IN OUR VIEW: Laken Tomlinson was the school's first top-32 pick since 1987 and if Cash can land in the first round, it would mark the first time in school history the Blue Devils would produce back-to-back first round picks.

--Dane Brugler (8/9/15)
            PLAYER OVERVIEW

Highly recruited out of high school in Miami, Cash started his career at Ohio State before transferring to Duke, sitting out the 2012 season. He started every game for the Blue Devils the past two seasons, eclipsing 100 tackles both years and earning several All-American nods.

Comment

Originally posted by Driven_Phinsane! View Post

Well, the Fins barely kept us busy two weeks thinking there were better things to talk about other than the 2016 Draft...Adding insult to injury (literally) is the guy you pegged as a PERFECT fit for us has torn his meniscus and is out for the year..I guess the good news is that if he decides to come out he'll more than likely be there when we pick between the 10-12 spot...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...923-story.html

The way things are looking we may have a top five pick...lol

Comment

Originally posted by VAIDER5120 View Post
                SS- Jeremy Cash, Duke. Local of Miami.

This guy is playing lights out and might make his way to the 1st round. Can play nickle as well.

STRENGTHS: Often lining up near the line of scrimmage as a nickel cornerback, NFL scouts like Cash's versatility and instincts in coverage, reading and anticipating well to drive on plays in front of him. He isn't shy lowering his pads and driving through his target as a run defender, playing with nonstop violence and hustle.
                WEAKNESSES: He is often so fixated on the ball that he doesn't see approaching blockers, lacking ideal functional strength to easily stack-and-shed at the point of attack.

IN OUR VIEW: Laken Tomlinson was the school's first top-32 pick since 1987 and if Cash can land in the first round, it would mark the first time in school history the Blue Devils would produce back-to-back first round picks.

--Dane Brugler (8/9/15)
                PLAYER OVERVIEW

Highly recruited out of high school in Miami, Cash started his career at Ohio State before transferring to Duke, sitting out the 2012 season. He started every game for the Blue Devils the past two seasons, eclipsing 100 tackles both years and earning several All-American nods.
                I like Cash, but not sure I would spend a top pick on a nickle back or SS. Too many other needs and to me that would seem like a luxury pick. Right now I am focusing on LT, CB, OG and LB. The way things are going we could be picking high enough to land one of my top CB's...

Comment

The way things are looking we may have a top five pick...lol
                  lol, true dat...Under normal circumstances i'd view that as a silver lining, but i figure somehow, someway Queasy will find a way to screw that up as well!

Comment

CB- Kendall Fuller out for season. Knee surgery on torn meniscus.
                    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...n-knee-surgery

Comment

I like Cash, but not sure I would spend a top pick on a nickle back or SS. Too many other needs and to me that would seem like a luxury pick. Right now I am focusing on LT, CB, OG and LB. The way things are going we could be picking high enough to land one of my top CB's...

I wouldn't use a 1st on him but it would be hard to pass him up if he's in the 2nd.

Comment

I feel bad for Fuller. The injury probably means he stays another year or I doubt he goes before round three.

I don't know if I would spend a second round pick on Cash either. I like him, but with Jones firmly planted just no sure I would use a high pick on a SS and we need a boundary back much more than another nickle.

Comment

We're 3-5, 0-4 in the division so I can now see us picking in the top half of the draft maybe even top 10. I'm all in on a CB or ILB in the 1st. I think I'm going with Jaylon Smith out of ND for our 1st round target. Good MLBs are rare and FA is doesn't look good there or at CB.

Comment

The top of my board is Jalen Ramsey but doubt he will be there when we pick but who knows. I wouldn't be upset with Smith either but I have been climbing on the Shaq Lawson bandwagon as well.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X