Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hargreaves VS Alexander

http://draftbreakdown.com/comparing-...sie-alexander/

While most of the analysis you read in this piece is subjective, Hargreaves having a better collegiate career is not. Hargreaves played in 36 career games and racked up 121 tackles, 10 interceptions and 27 pass breakups. Alexander played in 23 games and tallied 44 tackles, 0 interceptions and 11 pass breakups. Hargreaves was a consensus All-American in 2015 and a three time (2013-2015) First-Team All-SEC selection. Alexander was named First-Team All-ACC in 2015. It’s also worth mentioning that despite entering college the same year, there is a fairly significant discrepancy in date of birth between the two players. Hargreaves was born on 6/3/1995 while Alexander was born on 11/12/1993. The experience, resume and age all heavily favor Mr. Hargreaves.
    Coverage
    The reason I am comparing these two players is because they are both outstanding cover-corners and there is not much discrepancy in their abilities to lockdown their side of the field. Alexander is a better player in off-man coverage and anticipates routes better, particularly on the inside release. Hargreaves has the edge when it comes to press coverage as he is adept at being physical with his hands at the line, remaining balanced through contact, eating up the receivers stem and disrupting the timing of the route. The differentiating skill in this area is which player allows less cushion and is more difficult to complete a pass on. That edge goes to Hargreaves. Overall he remains connected with his opponent and mirrors with better consistency.

I had been leaning towards Alexander but that read changes my mind. Hargreaves all the way. I want to see s fast aggressive defense that press the WR off the line and gets after the QB.

Comment

Alexander just turned 22 in Nov and he's was a Sophomore at Clemson last season where he was injured part of the season. He still projects a ton of upside and plays very physically.

Hargreaves has more games and more polished. Physically, they are the same height, but Hargeaves has the heavier build.

I'd be fine with taking either, though I don't see Alexander as a Top 10 pick to where Ramsey and Hargreaves are.

Comment

More on Alexander... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-best-in-class

The 2016 NFL draft entrant pool has been decided, and now it is time to delve into the field of talent. One of the deeper positions in the 2016 class will be the cornerbacks, as 12 underclassmen at the position declared to forgo their remaining collegiate eligibility. Of the entire crop of cornerbacks, Clemson redshirt sophomore Mackensie Alexander is the best man-coverage corner in the class.

That being said, Alexander and Hargreaves are solid prospects who excel in different ways. Our focus, Alexander, has the traits and film that project as a quality cornerback in man coverage. That distinction is key, since he’s most experienced in man coverage and is not an elite prospect overall.

Alexander was a 5-star recruit from Immokalee High School in Immokalee, Florida. At 5’11” and 195 pounds, he possesses a solid frame for the cornerback position. More importantly, he appears to have long arms that help him execute in press coverage and close passing windows.

In just his second season of collegiate football, Alexander was dominant in coverage. According to NFL.com draft expert Lance Zierlein, Alexander allowed just 29.6 percent of his targets to be completed. Considering the competition he faced, this is impressive. His matchups included future NFL studs such as Oklahoma's Sterling Shepard, South Carolina's Pharoh Cooper, Notre Dame's Will Fuller and North Carolina's Mack Hollins.

We see his physicality translate to the run game as well. Alexander’s willingness to attack ball-carriers at or behind the line of scrimmage will give him the ability to shadow top receivers into the slot as well as the boundary. Even without elite size, he can finish plays with his aggressiveness.

What’s most to like about Alexander is his work ethic off the field. In a 2015 summer interview with Cris Ard of TigerIllustrated.com, Alexander was asked about who he had already studied for the 2015 season.

"I've watched Wofford, App. State, Notre Dame, Louisville, I've seen Florida State, I've watched South Carolina," he said. "I pretty much watched everybody and got a good glimpse of their personnel, their best targets and best receivers. I've got my notes on all of them, I know who they are."

Alexander continued to go more in depth about why he was already preparing for midseason games. "I've got a drawer full of notes," he said. "I've even got notes on our receivers. It's not just about college. It's about the next level also. It's about preparing my mind for the next level."

Comment

Hargreaves yes Alexander at 8 no. If we were picking mid round then Alexander would be ok but being older and having no INTs goes against him.
          The deeper the roots, the higher the reach.

Comment

Ramsey and Hargreaves are easy #8 picks... BUT these are all just opinions. If a team thinks Alexander is worth it, then he could be the guy. Every year we someone who is ''over drafted''...

Last year, Trae Waynes and Kevin Johnson were drafted over Marcus Peters... MP made the Pro-bowl this year as a rookie.

Comment

I don't think Alexander is even in the same conversation with Ramsey, Hargeaves and a healthy Fuller. I know many thing Ramsey will be a better FS than CB in the NFL and he may be, but I put that label on Alexander. I don't see the instincts from him or a fluid turn when back peddling. He gets beat in press coverage often. I watched a lot of Clemson games, and just not a huge fan especially in the top 10. I don't think he's a #1 corner in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by ONOle1 View Post
                I don't think Alexander is even in the same conversation with Ramsey, Hargeaves and a healthy Fuller. I know many thing Ramsey will be a better FS than CB in the NFL and he may be, but I put that label on Alexander. I don't see the instincts from him or a fluid turn when back peddling. He gets beat in press coverage often. I watched a lot of Clemson games, and just not a huge fan especially in the top 10. I don't think he's a #1 corner in the NFL.
                Yes, hoping Ramsey or Hargreaves drops to us at #8. Otherwise I think we'll take a DE there and try for a DB in the 2nd or 3rd as we need a MLB badly as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cuchulainn View Post

Yes, hoping Ramsey or Hargreaves drops to us at #8. Otherwise I think we'll take a DE there and try for a DB in the 2nd or 3rd as we need a MLB badly as well.

Yeah, my top three choices for Miami are Ramsey, Hargreaves and Lawson. I know I have Lawson ranked a little higher than some, but I have seen him take over games. If they can resign OV, Lawson is the perfect compliment on the strong side. I think he's the best all around DE coming out. He may never be a double digit sack guy, but he can get to the QB, while setting the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by ONOle1 View Post

Yeah, my top three choices for Miami are Ramsey, Hargreaves and Lawson. I know I have Lawson ranked a little higher than some, but I have seen him take over games. If they can resign OV, Lawson is the perfect compliment on the strong side. I think he's the best all around DE coming out. He may never be a double digit sack guy, but he can get to the QB, while setting the edge.
                    I agree... I think people are discounting Lawson from his play at the end of the season and the bowl games where and Alexander both were banged up. Lawson was only about 70% in that game.

Nkemdiche is another guy to watch. He did himself no favors either with his stupid Marijuana arrest. Be interesting to see how far he drops ala Shane Ray last draft.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X