Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BR: 2016 NFL Draft: Clemson Cornerback Mackensie Alexander Is Best in Class

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-best-in-class

... One of the deeper positions in the 2016 class will be the cornerbacks, as 12 underclassmen at the position declared to forgo their remaining collegiate eligibility. Of the entire crop of cornerbacks, Clemson redshirt sophomore Mackensie Alexander is the best man-coverage corner in the class.

That being said, Alexander and Hargreaves are solid prospects who excel in different ways. Our focus, Alexander, has the traits and film that project as a quality cornerback in man coverage. That distinction is key, since he’s most experienced in man coverage and is not an elite prospect overall.

Alexander was a 5-star recruit from Immokalee High School in Immokalee, Florida. At 5’11” and 195 pounds, he possesses a solid frame for the cornerback position. More importantly, he appears to have long arms that help him execute in press coverage and close passing windows.

In just his second season of collegiate football, Alexander was dominant in coverage. According to NFL.com draft expert Lance Zierlein, Alexander allowed just 29.6 percent of his targets to be completed. Considering the competition he faced, this is impressive. His matchups included future NFL studs such as Oklahoma's Sterling Shepard, South Carolina's Pharoh Cooper, Notre Dame's Will Fuller and North Carolina's Mack Hollins.

We see his physicality translate to the run game as well. Alexander’s willingness to attack ball-carriers at or behind the line of scrimmage will give him the ability to shadow top receivers into the slot as well as the boundary. Even without elite size, he can finish plays with his aggressiveness.

What’s most to like about Alexander is his work ethic off the field. In a 2015 summer interview with Cris Ard of TigerIllustrated.com, Alexander was asked about who he had already studied for the 2015 season.

"I've watched Wofford, App. State, Notre Dame, Louisville, I've seen Florida State, I've watched South Carolina," he said. "I pretty much watched everybody and got a good glimpse of their personnel, their best targets and best receivers. I've got my notes on all of them, I know who they are."

Alexander continued to go more in depth about why he was already preparing for midseason games. "I've got a drawer full of notes," he said. "I've even got notes on our receivers. It's not just about college. It's about the next level also. It's about preparing my mind for the next level."
    Not sure he's 5-11, but why not? lol...

Ramsey and Hargreaves are getting all the attention, but Alexander is just as solid a pick. If nothing changes, he should be available to us in the 1st at #8. If not it's highly unlikely that Ramsey, Hargreaves, and Alexander would all 3 be gone by the time we pick.

More good info and vids/gifs in the link.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X